Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Cybertruck have backup trailer assist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What would be cool is to be able to run a Winch on a Trailer from your Truck. Put a plug in the rear of the truck and plug your Winch into the plug to power it That way you could cut down on the charge/discharge cycles of the Deep Cycle battery that powers the Winch on the Trailer. Or even be able to charge the Deep Cycle Battery from the Truck.

What would be cool is to be able to run a Winch on a Trailer from your Truck. Put a plug in the rear of the truck and plug your Winch into the plug to power it That way you could cut down on the charge/discharge cycles of the Deep Cycle battery that powers the Winch on the Trailer. Or even be able to charge the Deep Cycle Battery from the Truck.
0% anyone at Tesla thought about that

Reactions: T3SLAROD
So my diesel Jeep Grand Cherokee used to haul a race car for it's former owner. They ran a heavy duty cable directly from the battery to an Anderson connector under the bumper to run the winch on the trailer. I don't think the 16V battery on a Tesla would do that.

However, the CT SHOULD have a 240V/30A plug plus multiple 120V plugs in the bed. It would be trivial to either use an AC-powered winch or run a tender/charger to the battery on the trailer. In this case the CT (or other EV truck) has a better solution that running heavy gauge wire from the battery up front all the way to the back.

What are the chances that the Tailgate will have a manual release so you can open and close it if the motor quits working
I am making an assumption here but in another thread it was stated that the CT will have remote open but not remote close. To me this implies a mechanical release with a gas piston spring to do the lowering, not a motor. If there was a motor it would have remote close as well. So there SHOULD be a manual release for the tailgate.

if you tow... and tow like 'towing" ... you ain't buying an electric truck anytime soon. there's no magic and test after test has shown that range drops to well under 1/2 once you start towing. and now imagine hookinh/unhooking a trailer EVERY TIME you charge after 100-150 miles on the road... lol. nightmare.
Yeah, like @strider said, there’s a whole lot of middle ground here. To be fair, all trucks, ICE and EV, lose half their range when towing large trailers but with fuel stations on every corner ICE owners don’t care about the range drop. I routinely tow my 6000 lb Airstream with my R1T and I prefer it over my Ram 1500. Sure having to charge every 120 miles takes a little getting used to but we’ve learned to enjoy the frequent stops. I’ve also found that, at least in the West, we only have to drop the trailer occasionally.

Where the R1T (and any electric truck) really shines is local hauling. I routinely tow a 10,000 lb hydraulic trailer for local deliveries and my 120 mile range is plenty for that and I can charge at home overnight for pennies. And don’t overlook the instantaneous torque delivered by EV’s.

Yeah, like @strider said, there’s a whole lot of middle ground here. To be fair, all trucks, ICE and EV, lose half their range when towing large trailers but with fuel stations on every corner ICE owners don’t care about the range drop. I routinely tow my 6000 lb Airstream with my R1T and I prefer it over my Ram 1500. Sure having to charge every 120 miles takes a little getting used to but we’ve learned to enjoy the frequent stops. I’ve also found that, at least in the West, we only have to drop the trailer occasionally.

Where the R1T (and any electric truck) really shines is local hauling. I routinely tow a 10,000 lb hydraulic trailer for local deliveries and my 120 mile range is plenty for that and I can charge at home overnight for pennies. And don’t overlook the instantaneous torque delivered by EV’s.
This is the problem in a nutshell. Range is King, because without EV trucks are just grocery runners.