Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Cybertruck have backup trailer assist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will the Cybertruck have something similar?

You are kidding right? Have you seen Tesla software development promise vs. delivery gap with FSD?
If you have to ask, then the answer is - sure, it will be another $12-15K, the the software will be released in dysfunctional "Beta" mode and will stay that way for the next 7+ years.

Those who don't fall for the scam will be laughing at those who did.
Those who did, will be proclaiming it's amazing, even if it doesn't work. And the next version will be even more amazing, even if it will still doesn't work.

a

You are kidding right? Have you seen Tesla software development promise vs. delivery gap with FSD?
If you have to ask, then the answer is - sure, it will be another $12-15K, the the software will be released in dysfunctional "Beta" mode and will stay that way for the next 7+ years.

Those who don't fall for the scam will be laughing at those who did.
Those who did, will be proclaiming it's amazing, even if it doesn't work. And the next version will be even more amazing, even if it will still doesn't work.

a
Wow. Well said.

Considering CT will be more likely to tow and almost none of the super chargers are pull through, would be a very useful feature. Maybe the Ford CEO can challenge Elon to a EV towing challenge and motivate Elon to “geter done”

Considering CT will be more likely to tow and almost none of the super chargers are pull through, would be a very useful feature. Maybe the Ford CEO can challenge Elon to a EV towing challenge and motivate Elon to “geter done”

if you tow... and tow like 'towing" ... you ain't buying an electric truck anytime soon. there's no magic and test after test has shown that range drops to well under 1/2 once you start towing. and now imagine hookinh/unhooking a trailer EVERY TIME you charge after 100-150 miles on the road... lol. nightmare.
now pulling your jetski to the nearest lake you can do... but you don't need a truck for that either.

if you tow... and tow like 'towing" ... you ain't buying an electric truck anytime soon. there's no magic and test after test has shown that range drops to well under 1/2 once you start towing. and now imagine hookinh/unhooking a trailer EVERY TIME you charge after 100-150 miles on the road... lol. nightmare.
now pulling your jetski to the nearest lake you can do... but you don't need a truck for that either.
Easy there. There is a middle ground between hauling a 12,000lb 5th wheel full of fruit or livestock and towing 2 jet skis. My boat is >5,000lbs so my MX can't tow it but a CT certainly could. I currently have a diesel Jeep Grand Cherokee (7,000lb tow rating IIRC) that tows it wonderfully. Also there are 5 lakes within 70 miles so even with the towing penalty I can easily round trip in a CT.

All that being said, I think Tesla will work to make the SCs more trailer friendly but it will take time. If it doesn't fit your mission today, then wait.

But to the OP's question, I think the CT software will be way behind Ford's for a while. As I said in another thread, there is no one with any power at Tesla that has actually driven a truck. I can guarantee you that neither Franz nor Elon have ever hooked up a trailer much less backed a boat down a ramp. Ford has this in their DNA. Tesla will get there but it will take a good while.

The F-series trucks have been #1 in sales for DECADES
I agree . . . at least some Ford decision maker did DECADES ago. Luckily, the vehicle hasn't changed (except for the makeup and furniture) for decades either.

more towing and trucks than in Palo Alto...
good point. I guess those who really need to tow are out of luck.

• Disagree
Reactions: afadeev
I agree . . . at least some Ford decision maker did DECADES ago. Luckily, the vehicle hasn't changed (except for the makeup and furniture) for decades either.

good point. I guess those who really need to tow are out of luck.
F series hasn't changed? LOL... They went to all aluminum body / bed on steel ladder frame in 2014/2015 (other truck manufacturers still use steel body / bed) and also largely ditched legacy V8s for twin-turbo charged V6 EcoBoost engines which also power the Raptor now and the Ford GT. but yeah... nothing has changed....

you can diss Ford for many things... but their truck line up or lack of innovations in the truck line up aren't among those things...

Other towing question would be will there be a 12 volt charge line on the 7 pin connector bring there is a 16 volt system (or is it 48 volts) for the automotive systems. They have already eliminated the charge line on the Y and X.

As well, will there be a brake controller built in? 16 volt or 48 volt brake controllers don’t exist yet.

Other towing question would be will there be a 12 volt charge line on the 7 pin connector bring there is a 16 volt system (or is it 48 volts) for the automotive systems. They have already eliminated the charge line on the Y and X.

As well, will there be a brake controller built in? 16 volt or 48 volt brake controllers don’t exist yet.
I assume they can just use a stepdown.

With all of the other complexities, does that really sound like a big deal?
Agreed. But to date tesla has not addressed it. To be clear, their solution to the charge line 16 to 12 volt difference on model Y and X’s was to simply disable the charge line. So for example, our charge line on our 2022 Y constantly puts a charge on our trailer’s battery while driving or in camp mode. On 2023 Y’s it is simply disabled.

As well, we have a Tekonsha brake controller installed for trainer brakes. It uses 12 volts. Tekonsha (or any other company I know of) doesn’t make a 16 volt model.

There are work arounds of course but none are plug and play.

IMG_5730.png

With all of the other complexities, does that really sound like a big deal?
Uh, yeah. You are new here. The "little things" are what Tesla sucks at the most. Elon hates details. He is a big picture person (I'm not bagging - big vision is exactly what we needed) and will absolutely NOT sweat the details. Since no one at Tesla has ever owned a pickup or towed a trailer, this is exactly something they would overlook. No different than the move to 16V to start with. "Ah, 16V is better for the car and we don't care about people plugging in accessories. Figure it out..."