Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will legacy ever see V12?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New to this forum. I was totally disheartened when I found out that the update I received for my 2020S just a few weeks ago (2024.2.7) meant I could not get FSD V12. Very disappointing. I've heard speculation that this was done because my vehicle doesn't have an internal camera and Tesla is concerned about their ability to monitor drivers. Is there any further information on this? I find FSD 11 very erratic but I'm on no position to buy a new car. As usual, Tesla is saying nothing on the matter.

• Informative
Reactions: Kohan
I don't think it is possible anymore not to have a hand on the wheel all the time with the warning system in use now.
I got nagged all the time now with the new version, on the city if I just relaxed for may be 10s or so, it will warn me. On the highway seems to be better for me, really have to train myself for the city. On the bright side, it has great improvements. ..

On the way home, after the highway exit, it needs to cross two lanes quickly to the right most lane and then go under the bridge loop to the other side, it used to keep on the left lane and tried to turn at the last moment. Now it also parked right in front of the house instead of stopping in the middle of the street. It navigates through tight turn lane like human driver (another car is in the next lane), slowed down before railroad crossing, construction cone is not on visualization but navigate safely beside it.

It did almost ran over a pedestrian in a pedestrian crossing one day (non traffic light), it clearly shows up in the display, she is crossing and it should have stopped before she finished to the other side, it was going slow but it didn't stop, she actually looked at me and I brake to avoid hitting her.

Reactions: DerbyDave
Upvote 0
Maybe I should not have wanted 2024.3.15 so much for my 2020 Model S. The first install failed and the second one started an hour later, got to 30% 2 hours ago and the app is not refreshing. Went out to the car got in and it’s dead, no screens, no AC. The doors work and it locks from the key fob. Now I am worried, never had it bricked.
There are two "frames" of memory - one for the current active release and one for the downloaded version. When installing, it switches to the new download copy and installs it. If it fails, it is supposed to switch back to the current active release. It sounds like when the first one failed, it proceeded to download and install to the older "good" frame. When that crashed, both frames were useless and the car became dead.

I expect it happened before to someone, but that's the first I've heard of it. If it were common, Tesla would have a huge problem on their hands. It may be your car has a damaged memory (nothing to do with the MCU1 memory issues, as I see you have a 2020 car). The current flash memory is supposed to last for the life of the car, 20+ years, but it doesn't mean a rare case could happen with an early failure. I hope you come back and tell us what was repaired. It might be Tesla will install a new MCU2 (which has the memory).

Upvote 0
There are two "frames" of memory - one for the current active release and one for the downloaded version. When installing, it switches to the new download copy and installs it. If it fails, it is supposed to switch back to the current active release. It sounds like when the first one failed, it proceeded to download and install to the older "good" frame. When that crashed, both frames were useless and the car became dead.

I expect it happened before to someone, but that's the first I've heard of it. If it were common, Tesla would have a huge problem on their hands. It may be your car has a damaged memory (nothing to do with the MCU1 memory issues, as I see you have a 2020 car). The current flash memory is supposed to last for the life of the car, 20+ years, but it doesn't mean a rare case could happen with an early failure. I hope you come back and tell us what was repaired. It might be Tesla will install a new MCU2 (which has the memory).
Yep, I assumed as much since that is how we do releases at work, easy to test the new release, swap over and regress back if we missed something(not that I have ever missed anything).

I will certainly let folks know what happens.

Funny I have been in IT my whole 40 year career but have never been curious to look under the hood of my car’s computer. Never knew how many GB’s it had. I came up when mainframes had KB’s of RAM and you sorted mailing lists on a bank of tape drives. I did buy FSD , I had so many doubts that it could work I wanted a first row seat for the show. Kinda silly, like a reverse short, paying money expecting it not to work knowing you won’t get anything back.

Upvote 0
Got my car back from Tesla Service. Turns out when installing the software update the car went into ‘Recovery Mode’ whatever that is. It did it again while it was there and the logs were showing a USB error. They removed my USB thumb drive that stores the dashcam footage and everything started working, software update completed . Not sure what to think but the USB drive has been in the car for 4 years and lately I did get a read error and have to reformat it a few times. The service folks were quite nice so I let them sell me the $45 Tesla special USB drive. At least now I have FSD 12.3.4 in my old Model S

• Helpful
Reactions: brainhouston
Upvote 0
I figure this is a good place to ask about a 2020 Model S. I drove a bit today on 12.3.4 and it was good, nothing challenging. I noticed in a parking lot (FSD not engaged) that I did see anything on the screen about parking. Is self-parking available on the older S?
Yes, it is, but not the new version that the non-USS equipped vehicles just received. (I think you have to drive fairly slow and close to the parking spots for it to identify them.)

Upvote 0
1. I could be wrong on this but others can chime in. I think I have it right though. Instead of people writing code to tell the car how to drive itself, Tesla used on-board camera footage from the entire fleet to train a (either a.i. or neural network - I forget which) how to drive. With V12, there is no code that specifically says "this is a stop sign and you need to stop at it." - V12 has learned through (millions?) of hours of video of watching people drive that it needs to stop at this thing 🛑.
I've had autopilot/fsd for 3 full years now and this is the single biggest jump in capabilities that I've personally experienced here in rural/small town Ohio. For the first time EVER, I am able to use FSD for the entirety of all my drives with zero interventions. That has literally never happened before. It's a remarkable improvement, at least in my small hometown.
Same basic experience, I always use it now. I live a few miles west of Austin and have hit a few snags, but so far just one required disengagement. Prior to V12 I would NEVER let the car drive me out my hilly, narrow road neighborhood to the highway exit. V12 handled it perfectly the first time out. Even safely took a right on red.

I noticed yesterday FSD exhibited predictive behavior, and would not switch to the left-most lane when I tapped the blinker even though it was clear - it just stayed in the slower right lane. A moment later I realized there was a car about to turn into the left lane a block ahead of me, which would have slowed me down. FSD saw this - I did not.

Still needs supervision and tweaking but for me, V12 is a quantum leap.

Upvote 0
Question about auto park on a 2020 Model S. Driving thru a parking lot slowly sometimes on the IP it will show a spot with a P but nothing on the main center display even if I stop. Do we get to pick a spot and if so, how? Or is that something only newer cars can do. Frustrating to have a FSD computer that is suppose to have StarTrek level processing speed but it is listed that the latest display updates won’t be available on the processor I have. I would like to sublet some of the FSD processor to run the display when I am parked.

Upvote 0
Question about auto park on a 2020 Model S. Driving thru a parking lot slowly sometimes on the IP it will show a spot with a P but nothing on the main center display even if I stop. Do we get to pick a spot and if so, how? Or is that something only newer cars can do. Frustrating to have a FSD computer that is suppose to have StarTrek level processing speed but it is listed that the latest display updates won’t be available on the processor I have. I would like to sublet some of the FSD processor to run the display when I am parked.
Believe they are separate processors granted there is no confirmation that the update won’t come to your car only not at this time. Same way people acted about V13 and auto park. Takes time with many versions.

Upvote 0