Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will legacy ever see V12?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New to this forum. I was totally disheartened when I found out that the update I received for my 2020S just a few weeks ago (2024.2.7) meant I could not get FSD V12. Very disappointing. I've heard speculation that this was done because my vehicle doesn't have an internal camera and Tesla is concerned about their ability to monitor drivers. Is there any further information on this? I find FSD 11 very erratic but I'm on no position to buy a new car. As usual, Tesla is saying nothing on the matter.

• Informative
Reactions: Kohan
I think it may take a while, but eventually v12 and up are what will bring fsd. There are too many legacy cars that own fsd, they can’t just drop them. You’ll likely see a retrofit for a camera or they’ll find another way to handle it. It will eventually have to show up though.

Upvote 0
Seem likely it is a cabin camera issue. There are M3's the same age that are receiving it. I seem to remember some posts about a cabin camera being difficult to add in the Legacy cars. Not really sure though. Gonna be a lot of angry customers if they don't find a solution. Those will be the same people with older cars possibly considering another vehicle soon too... if I don't get upgraded somehow I can say for sure it will affect my next purchase decision.

Reactions: KArnold
Upvote 0
Seem likely it is a cabin camera issue. There are M3's the same age that are receiving it. I seem to remember some posts about a cabin camera being difficult to add in the Legacy cars. Not really sure though. Gonna be a lot of angry customers if they don't find a solution. Those will be the same people with older cars possibly considering another vehicle soon too... if I don't get upgraded somehow I can say for sure it will affect my next purchase decision.

Yeah because there are A LOT more M3 out there than MS, so it would make sense that Tesla prioritize that platform like they always have.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Upvote 0
Yeah because there are A LOT more M3 out there than MS, so it would make sense that Tesla prioritize that platform like they always have.
The S sales are what helped them get all of those 3 sales. People on HW3 cars without in cabin cameras should get FSD. My car as an example has FSD purchased, many others have the same. In 2020 the package was only 7k, the entire reason it was this price is because " get it early or else ". To claim the " or else " is never coming, but thanks for the initial purchase would be disastrous I'd think, no?

Upvote 0
It may be more about the NTHSA and/or other safety issues. I thought NTHSA was unhappy with automakers using the steering wheel torque as a confirmation of paying attention, whereas a cabin camera is presumed to do a better job. I don't agree with this myself, but that may be what is behind it. If so, it may mean Tesla will have to install a cabin camera in older cars, similar to the upgrade of cameras and AP processors that was done with 2016-2017 era cars.

Upvote 0
It may be more about the NTHSA and/or other safety issues. I thought NTHSA was unhappy with automakers using the steering wheel torque as a confirmation of paying attention, whereas a cabin camera is presumed to do a better job. I don't agree with this myself, but that may be what is behind it. If so, it may mean Tesla will have to install a cabin camera in older cars, similar to the upgrade of cameras and AP processors that was done with 2016-2017 era cars.
My thoughts too, I can't imagine they would stop the upgrade path on HW3 cars because of a lack of in cabin camera, this would likely violate anti trust laws.

Upvote 0