Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Mercedes jump to level 3 before Tesla? Looks like it.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How does lease only legend model limit liability? Dead is dead?
If your system kills someone every 10 million miles (10x worse than US average) and you only sell 100 of them it’s unlikely it will ever kill anyone considering it will only be used for a small fraction of vehicle miles.
Hopefully Mercedes will have to report collisions and autonomous miles here in CA (as is currently required for all autonomous vehicles, both deployed and prototype).

Reactions: 2101Guy
1652053021430.gif

Reactions: Z_Lynx
I was beat to it, but it's all a game of probabilities. If you only have a 100 cars, probability says you are far less likely to have a single accident. If you have a million cars using this system, the probability you get a single accident (or more) is much higher. Lease-only also gives you a mechanism to limit miles driven (most leases have mileage limits).

I was beat to it, but it's all a game of probabilities. If you only have a 100 cars, probability says you are far less likely to have a single accident. If you have a million cars using this system, the probability you get a single accident (or more) is much higher. Lease-only also gives you a mechanism to limit miles driven (most leases have mileage limits).
Yeah - probabilities only work until something happens. Then the probability is 100%. This approach seems a bit like a cop out. I think Tesla's approach of starting out with a reasonably wide release of beta testers to get data, tweak and fix bugs until you know you have a good system is better, or do like Mercedes do - release it with very limited abilities and use cases.

• Funny
Reactions: Daniel in SD
Yeah - probabilities only work until something happens. Then the probability is 100%. This approach seems a bit like a cop out. I think Tesla's approach of starting out with a reasonably wide release of beta testers to get data, tweak and fix bugs until you know you have a good system is better, or do like Mercedes do - release it with very limited abilities and use cases.
I don't think it's a cop out, but rather how the auto industry has done things since probably forever to calculate accepted risk.
Most infamous probably being the Pinto fires:
Ford Pinto - Wikipedia
More recent one being the GM ignition switch:
General Motors ignition switch recalls - Wikipedia

Mercedes is actually doing something similar to Honda to limit liability/risk: the system is only available on the S-Class and EQS. Tesla does something similar with FSD Beta with the whole safety score system.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2101Guy

Tesla also only released FSD Beta to 50 YouTube influencers for the first ~9 months

Reactions: Goose66
Mercedes is actually doing something similar to Honda to limit liability/risk: the system is only available on the S-Class and EQS. Tesla does something similar with FSD Beta with the whole safety score system.
The first radar cruise control was also available only on the S-class. Tesla aiming to releaseL5 capability on even their lowest price model is very unusual for a new automotive technology. I can’t think of anything analogous.

Last edited:
Reactions: sleepydoc and Bouba
Appears you are unfamiliar with the calculations used by large companies in the practice of risk management and the application of actuarial science

Requiring driver supervision is the ultimate cop out when it comes to full self-driving. :p
I guarantee you that Mercedes' lawyers don't think this is a cop out. haha.

There aren’t even that many driverless trains, and nothing has a defined environment like a train...so true 100% no streering wheel or pedals self driving cars on TODAY’s roads are unlikely...the road network evolving into defined lanes would probably have to happen before true self driving in all conditions happens. But I set the bar much lower...an aid to safety and driver fatigue is good enough for me...waiting until the computer (or a text from Mercedes) to say you can take your hand off the steering wheel would not be acceptable to me...just my two cents

There aren’t even that many driverless trains, and nothing has a defined environment like a train...so true 100% no streering wheel or pedals self driving cars on TODAY’s roads are unlikely...the road network evolving into defined lanes would probably have to happen before true self driving in all conditions happens. But I set the bar much lower...an aid to safety and driver fatigue is good enough for me...waiting until the computer (or a text from Mercedes) to say you can take your hand off the steering wheel would not be acceptable to me...just my two cents
There are literally robotaxis on the road right now with nobody in the driver's seat. I agree that it's going to be a long time before they cover a significant percentage of roads.
I don't understand the all or nothing point of view when it comes to vehicle automation. I'd love Autopilot to not require supervision even if it's only in certain cases. I'd much rather have that than FSD Beta.

Comparing the lack of drivers in robotaxis to the lack of driverless trains or driverless aircraft is not really appropriate, not because of similarities or differences in the operational design domains (ODDs), but because of the issue of incremental "cost" of having a driver per passenger-mile traveled. Having worked with autopilot systems in aircraft, IMO it would be FAR simpler to automate and remote-control trains and planes, and the safety margins are marginally good, but the costs of, e.g., having two pilots in a 250-passenger plane are just not as significant as, say, fuel. In a taxi, most of the cost is the driver.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bouba
Comparing the lack of drivers in robotaxis to the lack of driverless trains or driverless aircraft is not really appropriate, not because of similarities or differences in the operational design domains (ODDs), but because of the issue of incremental "cost" of having a driver per passenger-mile traveled. Having worked with autopilot systems in aircraft, IMO it would be FAR simpler to automate and remote-control trains and planes, and the safety margins are marginally good, but the costs of, e.g., having two pilots in a 250-passenger plane are just not as significant as, say, fuel. In a taxi, most of the cost is the driver.
I understand that...in fact most of the problem is union power...protecting jobs. And you can see the action that taxi drivers around the world have taken against Uber to know that they won’t take Robotaxis lying down either 😀

I'd love Autopilot to not require supervision even if it's only in certain cases. I'd much rather have that than FSD Beta.
Absolutely the opposite.

No supervision (i.e. Tesla taking legal liability) is very bad from investor POV. Tesla is on the hook for millions of $ in liability but get nothing extra in return than they are already getting.

Some tiny ODD unsupervised AP (like < 40 mph on highways) to me is worthless. I'll almost never use it compared to using FSD Beta 90%+ of the time.

Absolutely the opposite.

No supervision (i.e. Tesla taking legal liability) is very bad from investor POV. Tesla is on the hook for millions of $ in liability but get nothing extra in return than they are already getting.

Some tiny ODD unsupervised AP (like < 40 mph on highways) to me is worthless. I'll almost never use it compared to using FSD Beta 90%+ of the time.
I generally agree but I think there would be some benefit for Tesla to be able to say they have true level 3 on highways. I think you're right, though - the financial liability is still a significant concern for investors.

Honestly, 'plain' AP on highways like Mercedes is doing I can't remember the last time I needed to intervene. Even up to normal highway speeds it does incredibly well.

Absolutely the opposite.

Actually Tesla would get something in return. A much larger than 10% take rate on FSD. Say take rate goes up to 25%, or say 100,000 more cars/yr. That’d be an extra $1 billion. Investors would be very happy.