Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Mercedes jump to level 3 before Tesla? Looks like it.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Funny
Reactions: Daniel in SD
Mercedes will start selling their L3 system in Germany in 11 days, starting on May 17, 2022:

Source: Conditionally automated driving: Mercedes-Benz announces sales launch of DRIVE PILOT | marsMediaSite
This strikes me as a company racing to have the 'first' bragging rights. If you read the article, it's extremely limited. 60 km/h is roughly 35 mph. it will only stay in it's lane and brake. It doesn't appear to do any other navigation or steering, nor do they mention lane changes much less turns. Essentially this is the equivalent of autopilot at half the speed.

The other relevant point is the statement "Germany was the first country to create a legal basis for the intended use of [self driving] systems." and "Mercedes-Benz aims to obtain regulatory series approval for the two US states of California and Nevada by the end of the year, provided the legal situation permits the system operation." Essentially they can't do it in the US because the laws don't allow for it.

Meh

This strikes me as a company racing to have the 'first' bragging rights. If you read the article, it's extremely limited. 60 km/h is roughly 35 mph. it will only stay in it's lane and brake. It doesn't appear to do any other navigation or steering, nor do they mention lane changes much less turns. Essentially this is the equivalent of autopilot at half the speed.

The other relevant point is the statement "Germany was the first country to create a legal basis for the intended use of [self driving] systems." and "Mercedes-Benz aims to obtain regulatory series approval for the two US states of California and Nevada by the end of the year, provided the legal situation permits the system operation." Essentially they can't do it in the US because the laws don't allow for it.

Meh
They do have auto lane change but, like Tesla, they won't guarantee that it works so it's part of a different L2 system. Their Autopilot like system works up to 130mph.
I believe their system is legal in California but they need to fill out this form and get approval (https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/file/...nomous-vehicles-on-public-streets-ol-321-pdf/).
It will be interesting to see if their system works and how valuable people find it. Audi tried to release a traffic jam ADS and failed.

Last edited:
Ingaged in traffic I understand...so the moment the flow of traffic exceeds 60kph it switches off...a lot of traffic jams ebb and flow, temporarily speed up only to stop in a few yards...could all be pointless
Yep, it may not be useful at all in some countries. Perhaps there are few traffic jams in France but here in Southern California it is not unusual to drive in traffic <60kph for 30 minutes at a time on controlled access roads.

Ingaged in traffic I understand...so the moment the flow of traffic exceeds 60kph it switches off...a lot of traffic jams ebb and flow, temporarily speed up only to stop in a few yards...could all be pointless

They appear to have invented a system that can follow the car in front of it, in a single lane, on a restricted set of roads, at low speed.

Woohoo!

Reactions: sleepydoc and Bouba
You have to admit it would be nice and relaxing with a system that is rated to completely tune out. I'm not breaking my laptop out and doing any work with FSD.
Unfortunately Mercedes tells you not to do that. You're not even supposed to use your phone. Though I suspect those restrictions are so they're not responsible if the airbag launches a solid object into your face. It will be interesting to see if they enforce them with the cabin camera.

Unfortunately Mercedes tells you not to do that. You're not even supposed to use your phone. Though I suspect those restrictions are so they're not responsible if the airbag launches a solid object into your face. It will be interesting to see if they enforce them with the cabin camera.
Do you have a source for that? I know they say you can't sleep nor leave the seat, but I haven't seen them say you can't use your phone or read a book. If that's the case, it's fairly worthless, as the primary suggested use case for L3 is to get some work done or entertainment while stuck in traffic.