Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Model 3 Get Range Mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't have a lot of data yet but on my Model S with range mode ON the efficiency is pretty good. Wonder if the Model 3 will have this feature in the future too. I'm ok if the power is reduced to the same as my Prius if I'm going to get more miles out if it.

I know many people will find this stupid but if you don't like it then don't turn it On. Giving more options to all users is good.
20180806_095359.jpg

Reactions: Arpe and T34ME
I don’t think anything beyond the Chill mode will be implemented.
Not sure about lowering the available power to the HVAC. They may add that, but I suspect not.

I can already turn off HVAC to rear explicitly if needed. We can raise the temp if the intent is to save power for AC.

I would suggest following to save power,
Turn off Radio so that AMP is not pulling power,
use chill mode,
do not use EAP ( as it needs more power to fully control steering and brake etc) and EAP is aggressive in acceleration and deceleration.
Try to coast as much as possible (keep the black power bar to smallest length when accelerating) and try to use regen instead of brake as much as possible.
Ofcourse, most important, keep the speed as low as possible safely. This is one of the biggest consumer of the power. Just keeping at posted speed itself will save you lot.

I can already turn off HVAC to rear explicitly if needed. We can raise the temp if the intent is to save power for AC.

I would suggest following to save power,
Turn off Radio so that AMP is not pulling power,
use chill mode,
do not use EAP ( as it needs more power to fully control steering and brake etc) and EAP is aggressive in acceleration and deceleration.
Try to coast as much as possible (keep the black power bar to smallest length when accelerating) and try to use regen instead of brake as much as possible.
Ofcourse, most important, keep the speed as low as possible safely. This is one of the biggest consumer of the power. Just keeping at posted speed itself will save you lot.
Is it possible to make it so rear HVAC is only on if the car detects someone sitting in the back seats?

Does the rear have it's own cooling/heating circuit?

No. Turning on rear vents just directs some of the airflow back there. You can tell when you enable it, as air will briefly blow to the footwells as the louvers (not sure if right word for them) position to blow to the rear.

You will get reduced airflow up front when rear is enabled, as some is now directed at the rear.

Is it possible to make it so rear HVAC is only on if the car detects someone sitting in the back seats?
I think currently by default rear is also on. I am pretty sure if is possible to Turn on AC to rear if only rear seats are occupied as it already has sensors (see the seat belt warning).

Whether Tesla will add this feature, when they will add or not, I am not sure.