Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

will model Y qualify for $7500 or $3750 tax credit in 2023?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still too many unknowns. Like what all is included in the price cap? I think the way some people read it things like the order fee, destination charge, and sales taxes are included. That puts a Model Y LR with FSD over the limit, even if sales tax isn't included if you add a color or the larger wheels.

But maybe because of the battery cell/module production credits that are also included in the IRA bill Tesla will be able to lower the price of all vehicles by a couple/few thousand to get them to qualify. (It will partially depend on if Panasonic is willing to pass along any of that savings to Tesla or if they keep their portion all to themselves.)

Still too many unknowns. Like what all is included in the price cap? I think the way some people read it things like the order fee, destination charge, and sales taxes are included. That puts a Model Y LR with FSD over the limit, even if sales tax isn't included if you add a color or the larger wheels.

But maybe because of the battery cell/module production credits that are also included in the IRA bill Tesla will be able to lower the price of all vehicles by a couple/few thousand to get them to qualify. (It will partially depend on if Panasonic is willing to pass along any of that savings to Tesla or if they keep their portion all to themselves.)
Price cap is an easy fix. In Canada Tesla reduced the battery range and reduced the price to fix the price cap.

What is more difficult is the minerals: must come from North America: Lithium, graphite...

Price cap is an easy fix. In Canada Tesla reduced the battery range and reduced the price to fix the price cap.
Right, but in that case Tesla making a crippled Model 3, that almost nobody bought, made all Model 3s qualify. (I don't think that trick will work for the US tax credit, I think here it is based on the cost of each individual vehicle sold.)

Following - if I want to buy model y - seems for model year 2023 do I order now or wait till 1/1/2023 and place the order?

The 80k limit is easy - buy without FSD/EAP and add later if needed. All Teslas come with the necessary h/w already

Current EDD is NOV - DEC. I did some math on my model Y 7 seat order, with 10% down and 90% loan. Basically for every 1% loan rate increase, the monthly payment increases by $25+ while the total loan interest increase by $2k+. I am thinking about changing my Y from 7 to base version of 5 seat hoping it will push delivery out to next year so I can get some tax credit. However, some said changing it to base version didn't delay their EDD so I am not sure if it will work so close to EDD. There are 3 more FOMC meetings this year, so if rate goes up another 2% from here, it may not be worth it.