Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Model Y w/ Perf upgrade improves range w/ gemini or aero wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all the MYP with performance upgrade owners out there, has anyone tried putting on other wheels especially the gemini or aero wheels from M3 and get better range (above 300 mi)? I have an order in for MY AWD but is now considering getting the P while knowing having the performance upgrade lowered the range to 280 mi (I dig the Uberturbine wheel so much). I actually do have a couple questions:
1. With the bigger brakes, will smaller wheel fits? 19in, 18in? So for roadtrips maybe I can swap out the wheels with my M3.
2. Is there an option in the wheel configurator that lets the car knows you are using different wheel? I am guessing having a smaller wheel will lower the rolling resistance hence improves mileage.

Reason I am asking this is I have a 2018 M3 LR where supposedly its rated at 322mi but I am now only getting a max of ~303mi after 40K mi. With general charging set to 90% I am usually getting ~271 in the morning. So if the Y starts with a lower range factoring in degradation it's going to be much less than my M3.

Can someone enlighten me to the difference putting on the performance upgrade will increase the energy consumption this much. Faster acceleration? what if I don't drive as hard? etc. Thanks.

• Helpful
Reactions: SierraQ
Hey all the MYP with performance upgrade owners out there, has anyone tried putting on other wheels especially the gemini or aero wheels from M3 and get better range (above 300 mi)? I have an order in for MY AWD but is now considering getting the P while knowing having the performance upgrade lowered the range to 280 mi (I dig the Uberturbine wheel so much). I actually do have a couple questions:
1. With the bigger brakes, will smaller wheel fits? 19in, 18in? So for roadtrips maybe I can swap out the wheels with my M3.
2. Is there an option in the wheel configurator that lets the car knows you are using different wheel? I am guessing having a smaller wheel will lower the rolling resistance hence improves mileage.

Reason I am asking this is I have a 2018 M3 LR where supposedly its rated at 322mi but I am now only getting a max of ~303mi after 40K mi. With general charging set to 90% I am usually getting ~271 in the morning. So if the Y starts with a lower range factoring in degradation it's going to be much less than my M3.

Can someone enlighten me to the difference putting on the performance upgrade will increase the energy consumption this much. Faster acceleration? what if I don't drive as hard? etc. Thanks.

1. The Model 3 Aero wheels will clear the front Model Y PUP brake calipers, the rear I am not sure - it was close so I did not try.
Also you will need different set of tires (to match Y stock tire diameter/width), and Bluetooth TPMS sensors for the Y (S3X 433 Mhz sensors won't work on Y).

See these threads for more info: M3 wheels to a MY?
18" Aero wheels and Model Y load limits

2. Current SW on Y (2020.12..11.1) does not have Wheel Configurator or TPMS Reset.

• Informative
Reactions: firerock
1. The Model 3 Aero wheels will clear the front Model Y PUP brake calipers, the rear I am not sure - it was close so I did not try.
Also you will need different set of tires (to match Y stock tire diameter/width), and Bluetooth TPMS sensors for the Y (S3X 433 Mhz sensors won't work on Y).

See these threads for more info: M3 wheels to a MY?
18" Aero wheels and Model Y load limits

2. Current SW on Y (2020.12..11.1) does not have Wheel Configurator or TPMS Reset.
Thanks so much @RoBoRaT, that's great info.

On the P3D+, the issue with brake clearance is the rear caliper/parking brake assembly and it's clearance to the inner barrel of the rear wheel.

There are some 18s that fit, mostly flow formed wheels with thinner-walled barrels.

Since the PYD+ uses the same front and rear calipers as the P3D+, I'm pretty confident that the story on 18s will be the same as on the 3.

And I think the general consensus on range decrease for the Performance 3 has to do with the less efficient (i.e. more sticky) tires and less aerodynamic 20" wheels. Again, stands to reason that replacing the 21" performance Y wheels and tires with the LR version would increase the range to match the LR.

Couple of Youtube videos, one talking about timing a Model Y 0-60 with smaller lighter wheels and performance increase was significant. The other is about removing the Aero covers and spray painting the underlying wheels (which really don't look that bad). Note: this was with a Model Y PERFORMANCE but without the PUP so it looks like a regular (sleeper) 4WD -

Couple of Youtube videos, one talking about timing a Model Y 0-60 with smaller lighter wheels and performance increase was significant. The other is about removing the Aero covers and spray painting the underlying wheels (which really don't look that bad). Note: this was with a Model Y PERFORMANCE but without the PUP so it looks like a regular (sleeper) 4WD -

Same thing I did with my Stealth Performance. Couldn't take the range loss of the upgrades package, even tho I love the red brakes that my P3D+ has.
Screen Shot 2020-04-19 at 8.22.50 PM.png

Reactions: FrunkLover
is the performance upgrade free? When you are trying to order online, its the same price for the sleeper performance and for the model with upgraded wheels/brakes/spoilers, am I missing something?

It's not free considering it requires that you pay the $8000 price to flip a bit in software to increase performance in order to get it.

It doesn't increase the price of the performance MY though.

is the performance upgrade free? When you are trying to order online, its the same price for the sleeper performance and for the model with upgraded wheels/brakes/spoilers, am I missing something?

You are not missing anything. The price of the Performance Model Y is the same whether you get the "sleeper" or the one with the bigger wheels, brakes, etc.