Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will my 94" width garage be ok?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
New to the forum. Looked through a few threads and couldn't find any discussion. I want to push order, but...

I know the width of the X is 89.4" which is super wide. My garage is 94", but then opens up (115") after the initial lip. Am I asking for trouble by parking it in the garage even with the side mirrors closed? I know physically it would fit, but worried about the high risk of scratching the sides!

Would the summons/self park work in this tight of a space?

Another opinion...does anyone park their car in the street? I may be moving to SF in a few months :(

I wish I had the $ to just buy a new house with a bigger garage!

Thanks for your thoughts!

Hi,
New to the forum. Looked through a few threads and couldn't find any discussion. I want to push order, but...

I know the width of the X is 89.4" which is super wide. My garage is 94", but then opens up (115") after the initial lip. Am I asking for trouble by parking it in the garage even with the side mirrors closed? I know physically it would fit, but worried about the high risk of scratching the sides!

Another opinion...does anyone park their car in the street? I may be moving to SF in a few months :(

I have two garage doors for the same garage and both are about the same width as yours. Since the X is 81.5 inches with the mirrors folded, I am sure it won't be a problem.

I have two garage doors for the same garage and both are about the same width as yours. Since the X is 81.5 inches with the mirrors folded, I am sure it won't be a problem.

Is there an option to keep the mirrors closed while driving? My garage is a bit tight also at 95" and I was considering having a contractor shaving off some of the sides of my garage so that it's a more comfortable fit traversing through the opening.

I wouldn't recommend street parking a nice car anywhere in SF. You'll get all sorts of scrapes, scratches, or worse. And people don't leave notes. They just hit and run. The size of the Model X would make finding a spot tricky too, in most neighborhoods.

Enjoy your upcoming Model X!

With regard to the summons feature with tight garage width. It will work but you will have to go into the options and set it to allow the car to go into narrow spaces. Summons probably won't with the default settings. I have a four door garage, three of which are 96 inches and one is 104. The one wider spot was designed for my wife. She had an issue judging width of spaces We have had to have several mirrors replaced but don't tell her I told you.

Hi,

Unless someone has already suggested it, and if you are still thinking of getting a Tesla: do a "garage test", and, yes, "summon" should work.
Indeed, size / width is a crucial factor, at least in Europe, and a "garage test" showed that a model X would have been too large (see
, and I ordered a Model S). Besides, even on motorways (Autobahn), construction site lanes on the left often do not allow cars that are wider than 2 meters. So both S and X have to stay on the right lane, together with trucks and lorries.

Reactions: X-Man
Here's a video I did a while ago about parking a Model X in the garage. I recommend backing into your garage, because there's a good chance that the falcon wing doors will be beyond the garage door tracks that way. Otherwise you have to be careful opening the falcon wing doors if the garage door isn't open (I don't trust the car to "see" the garage door rails by themselves).

I think you'll be fine. The proximity sensors also create a heat map around the car that you can use to gauge your distance on each side of the car.

Don't forget to check the length too!

Reactions: X-Man
Oops, I didn't realize this was a dead thread from over a year ago.

Here's a video I did a while ago about parking a Model X in the garage. I recommend backing into your garage, because there's a good chance that the falcon wing doors will be beyond the garage door tracks that way. Otherwise you have to be careful opening the falcon wing doors if the garage door isn't open (I don't trust the car to "see" the garage door rails by themselves).

I think you'll be fine. The proximity sensors also create a heat map around the car that you can use to gauge your distance on each side of the car.

Don't forget to check the length too!