Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will my Model 3 be able to park like this G3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m very curious if it’s deliberate programming or something about the computer learning, but on all the demos I’ve seen (across companies) the cars are always very hesitant to use full lock on the steering. They usually go for gradual curves and a number of adjustments rather than using 100% of their turning radius and a very aggressive curve...
The hesitation to go full lock might be due to concern about waiting until you go full lock. If you wait until "full lock until the end" is the correct answer then you have no leeway on calling that point.

However in my mind this just means the algorithm needs maturation. There is going to be a point at which you can "full lock" and then if it looks that it is too much you can unwind a bit. That's what human drivers do. You still have to be somewhat close, it is just erring on "start the lock" a bit earlier and then you have to unwind if you called it too early.

As a human this is the case. I do a lot of backing up, and a lot of wheel lock to do that. These vehicles are behaving in a way I'd expect from an inexperienced driver that doesn't yet have a strong handle on things.

It is a confidence thing. So maybe the person designing the algorithm doesn't think they have good enough sensory data to be able to do that, yet? Maybe they aren't wrong, or maybe they are wrong and are just cutting the algorithm too conservative, in their willingness to sacrifice an unnecessary pull-up? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Note that as a very experienced driver you don't always have to lock up, you can play more on the edge and wiggle more some times if there is a lot more room than just one path. Wheel lock is simply a way to get into tougher paths. But if you're not getting in AND you are unwilling to wheel lock then you're just failing to find the path in tough situations.

Last edited:
The hesitation to go full lock might be due to concern about waiting until you go full lock. If you wait until "full lock until the end" is the correct answer then you have no leeway on calling that point.

However in my mind this just means the algorithm needs maturation. There is going to be a point at which you can "full lock" and then if it looks that it is too much you can unwind a bit. That's what human drivers do. You still have to be somewhat close, it is just erring on "start the lock" a bit earlier and then you have to unwind if you called it too early.

As a human this is the case. I do a lot of backing up, and a lot of wheel lock to do that. These vehicles are behaving in a way I'd expect from an inexperienced driver that doesn't yet have a strong handle on things.

It is a confidence thing. So maybe the person designing the algorithm doesn't think they have good enough sensory data to be able to do that, yet? Maybe they aren't wrong, or maybe they are wrong and are just cutting the algorithm too conservative, in their willingness to sacrifice an unnecessary pull-up? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Note that as a very experienced driver you don't always have to lock up, you can play more on the edge and wiggle more some times if there is a lot more room than just one path. Wheel lock is simply a way to get into tougher paths. But if you're not getting in AND you are unwilling to wheel lock then you're just failing to find the path in tough situations.

Could their programmers be thinking back to hydraulic steering pumps and the damage full lock can do to them? Often times people get told things like "Don't go full lock or you'll break the car eventually" and don't know the reasoning behind it. I realize that's not an issue with electronic power steering like EVs have, but maybe the programmers mistakenly have that worry in their head?

Who knows. Like AutoPilot, I expect this EV's software to get better over time as well.

Doesn't hurt to have this competition to inspire Tesla to continue innovating.

Reactions: SammichLover
Could their programmers be thinking back to hydraulic steering pumps and the damage full lock can do to them? Often times people get told things like "Don't go full lock or you'll break the car eventually" and don't know the reasoning behind it. I realize that's not an issue with electronic power steering like EVs have, but maybe the programmers mistakenly have that worry in their head?
That hasn't been the case for power steering systems for a long time. My understanding is that in some early designs it was theoretically possible to create stress that may do a bit of damage over time. Pressing at full lock and then some could increase the pressure a bit and if you had a loose or worn belt it'd squeal under the heavier load. Modern designs have sensitive overpressure valves and such to protect your power assist when trying to go further than full lock. In some systems this can still make a disconcerting noise, "the sound of desperation" ;) , but shouldn't be damaging.

I'd hope that the programmers aren't tripped up by such ideas? At the least they should know the vehicle they're working on and that it'll in no way be an issue with it (because if it was they'd have co-workers burning the midnight oil to make sure the software gets changed from a faulty design like that in the fly-by-wire steering).

Wow, I feel like a startup company would need years of work and testing to pull something like this off, or.... just steal some source code and change a few icons and call it your own over in China. SMH

bg_spec_2-e1508856759711.jpg

Reactions: qdeathstar
Im pretty sure the ability to find an open spot and park on it's own is on Tesla's autopilot roadmap. The way Elon described it would work was that you can get out of your car at the front of the store and the car will navigate through the parking lot and park itself in an open spot.

Im pretty sure the ability to find an open spot and park on it's own is on Tesla's autopilot roadmap. The way Elon described it would work was that you can get out of your car at the front of the store and the car will navigate through the parking lot and park itself in an open spot.

I thought it was in Teslas already... Obviously the source code was stolen.

Yes I was impressed with this idea. The stumbling block that I see so far is that even on auto summon you have to be close to the car for it to move. Waiting for the AI to get smart enough or local laws I do not know but I would be more happy with the above functionality.

Wow, I feel like a startup company would need years of work and testing to pull something like this off, or.... just steal some source code and change a few icons and call it your own over in China. SMH

bg_spec_2-e1508856759711.jpg

I would say its damn good another company is trying to outdo Tesla in Autonomy like all the rest to be honest. Its like the space race it creates jobs and most of all innovative new idea's. Wouldn't you want to take it as a compliment? Everything gets copied especially if its popular and in this respect they realise Tesla has a nice interface there. The mission is to push the world to sustainability and less CO2 not spat over if it looks the same imo. They are all doing this now at warp speed with EV because of Tesla's moves.

• Funny
Reactions: SammichLover