Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will plaid/plaid+ have track mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's strange that they didn't announce a seemingly simple feature. I'd think that the Plaid+ with its 4680 cells would at least have it, as they may be easier to keep cool. This is the biggest drawback of having such a heavy, powerful car on the track. Even the model 3 has reduced power in the second half of a track session, though it can at least make it through. The S in current form will overheat.

I also believe plaid+ will be track-focused and have track mode, which is not to say that regular plaid won't have it. The main visible spec difference between plaid and plaid+ is range, and I suspect that's a side-effect of having a battery that can sustain track performance. Also, Elon obviously cares about track bragging rights given his Nurburgring cars. He won't be able to claim having the best track production car against Porsche and Lucid unless what he puts on the track is a production car. In that case (since the roadster a still a long way off) what else could it be but the plaid+?

Lol, thanks for the info. You would think that with Pikes Peak being challenge by Randy in a Plaid Model S that there would be kind of software tweeks. Pretty sure he wouldn’t want too much of the computer taking over.
That's a good point. Now I'm curious to know Randay's view having a track mode option. With torque vectoring, that would be an additional adjustment point that may come in handy. I wonder if Tesla is using torque vectoring to assist on keeping the car straight on the 1/4 track. That would be similar to a gyro on an RC car. Well, shoot, then there's the additional option they could add called Drift mode. This could aid with steering stabilization.

Well, a year has passed and no confirmed reports of track mode for the flagship Plaid. Just a recent rumor out of Canada. No track mode for the MYP either. Disappointing as I own the only two performance models Tesla doesn’t offer track mode for. Pretty lamb, come to think about it! Surprise me, Elon Musk! 😆