Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

will S Plaid offer LR version...?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We don't know. Generally, Performance models have lower range than standard models for 2 reasons. 1) larger wheels 2) performance motors are less efficient.

Now, it is possible that Tesla will need to add battery capacity in order to get the discharge rate needed for the performance that they want. Short version: battery cells can only discharge at a certain rate. The more power you need, the more cells you need.

This is what happened w/ the new Roadster. In order to get the Performance that Tesla wanted, they needed 200kWh of cells. Then, by having 200kWh of cells, they ended up w/ 600 miles of range.

So, if battery capacity is added, Plaid may end up w/ longer range than the Standard model.

I don't know who Ryan is referring to, but that's how intel works around Tesla. You might get a guess from Ryan or Jim or Betsy or Sarah or even an Elon. But none of it is worth anything until a formal announcement is made.

as newbie, I ask: who is Ryan?
current top range is S LR 402 miles
what are educated guesses as to what will
be top range after Battery Day Sep 15?
still S LR 402 miles? other? o_O o_O o_O

I don't know who Ryan is referring to, but that's how intel works around Tesla. You might get a guess from Ryan or Jim or Betsy or Sarah or even an Elon. But none of it is worth anything until a formal announcement is made.

Ryan is the host of Ride the Lightning Podcast. He asked Elon directly on Twitter for this Elon replied to with this.

URL = https://twitter.com/DMC_Ryan/status/1228543332202078208

Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 9.32.08 AM.png

• Informative
Reactions: DukeofURL
I don't expect much more range due to downforce and more weight.
You are probably right, but can I dream of a Plaid variant for the road? Faster acceleration, more range, better handling, no need for range-sapping aero....?
While I'm merely wishing, I'll add: better economy at freeway speeds (not sure how this might happen, but clearly the Taycan does better than Tesla here, presumably because of second gear).

Reactions: croman
You are probably right, but can I dream of a Plaid variant for the road? Faster acceleration, more range, better handling, no need for range-sapping aero....?
While I'm merely wishing, I'll add: better economy at freeway speeds (not sure how this might happen, but clearly the Taycan does better than Tesla here, presumably because of second gear).

Plaid should be able to turn off 2 rear motors and use only front. Current awd already does torque sleep.