Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla Acquisition of Solar City Expand Availability to More States?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Skotty

2014 S P85 | 2023 F-150L
Jun 27, 2013
Kansas City, MO
SolarCity only operates in a select few states. For this reason, I had little interest in SolarCity, as I'm not in one of those states. I've been looking for other solar installers. But then Tesla decides it is time to acquire SolarCity. Will this change availability? Will it allow them to expand to more states?

I thought this might be a good topic for discussion. I am likely going to install rooftop solar sometime within the next 3 years, and now I'm wondering if I should wait to see if Tesla can provide or if I should just keep looking at currently existing solar installers.

I am in the same situation as Skotty. I hope that under the Tesla umbrella that solar energy will have a very high priority to get into other states, like Florida. That will likely require new and different business models on a state by state basis. I look forward to visiting our Tampa Tesla store and getting authoritative advice on a panel system, perhaps with Powerwall, and being presented with a list of authorized installers. Presently there is a hodgepodge of installers here in Tampa Bay, some coming and going, etc. I have little faith about selecting one. I hope that Tesla will overcome my reluctance--very soon.

SolarCity only operates in a select few states. For this reason, I had little interest in SolarCity, as I'm not in one of those states. I've been looking for other solar installers. But then Tesla decides it is time to acquire SolarCity. Will this change availability? Will it allow them to expand to more states?

I thought this might be a good topic for discussion. I am likely going to install rooftop solar sometime within the next 3 years, and now I'm wondering if I should wait to see if Tesla can provide or if I should just keep looking at currently existing solar installers.

The states where Tesla will offer solar will probably expand faster with the merger. The stores provide more of a fixed cost model for customer acquisition. Stores can be profitably expanded into smaller markets with the model 3.

But of course new Tesla Energy products will arrive on Tesla Time. Musk will say 6-9 months. Expect two years.

It has to do with government incentives. Without the incentives, Solar City can't make money in that state. Look at Nevada. They pulled-out because of regulation changes. I think Solar City would be in every state if they all offered incentives. For now, they have to pick and choose the states. Eventually, as cost of solar comes down to the point where they can be profitable without incentives, they will be in every state. Huge growth opportunity in my mind.

It has to do with government incentives. Without the incentives, Solar City can't make money in that state. Look at Nevada. They pulled-out because of regulation changes. I think Solar City would be in every state if they all offered incentives. For now, they have to pick and choose the states. Eventually, as cost of solar comes down to the point where they can be profitable without incentives, they will be in every state. Huge growth opportunity in my mind.

Here's where I maybe disagree. What are the costs for operating in a new state? Overhead for sales staff, installer staff, and maybe store fronts. Merged with Tesla, existing Tesla staff can be used, and the store fronts are already there. And if they use a model where they allow already existing 3rd party installers to become authorized installers of their product, then that cost will be small as well. Then the only thing they have to do is sell all the hardware for more than it costs to make, and it's profitable, regardless of how many customers they get.

That's basically what I want to see. I already know of an installer in my area that I would be happy to use, and I could work with them to get them approved for installing Tesla hardware. Then I could buy the Tesla hardware and have them install it.