Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla Be Taken Over?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My bet is on MB. Toyota tends to do their own thing.

Daimler has roughly the same cash war chest as Ford. It has 4.2% of TSLA stock in hand but that is not a huge advantage.

After the Chrysler Fiasco, I doubt the Daimler board will approve another purchase of an American car company with a bunch of unruly amerikanisch executives.

So far Toyota has not made a major investment in a company headquartered outside of Japan.

Then again there has never been a compelling reason to do so.

You think GM or Ford would buy a $19B company with a premium(if they had the money) to deep six it? Buy something worth half the value of their company in order to destroy it?

That is conspiracy theory taken to the extreme.

I didn't say they where capable of pulling off the deal, just what they'd like to do: make Tesla go away.

GM could have been where Tesla is now, many years ago, they chose to deep six the EV1 program, they only had a 10 year head start, and had they continued, it's likely there wouldn't be a "Tesla Motors" or "Elon Musk" to deal with. Elon's has stated many times, if a viable way towards electrification was underway, he wouldn't have had to start Tesla. GM really shot themselves in the hindquarters on this one, Bob Lutz even admits it, GMs biggest mistake was canceling the EV1 program and abandoning all they'd learned from it.

I didn't say they where capable of pulling off the deal, just what they'd like to do: make Tesla go away.

GM certainly screwed up Hummer. They took a functional vehicle and turned it into a Tahoe kit car. I'm sure they'd mess up Tesla the same way.

IIRC Bob Lutz once said that "Most people thought GM wouldn't know technology if it bit them in the hindquarters". I think that "most people" got it right.

The only way they'd buy Tesla is if it was at fire sale prices (which it is not). In which case they would simply buy it, ruin it, and in short order all but kill it off. Think UFC and their acquisition of PRIDE and later STRIKEFORCE. Both organizations were dissolved as soon as the current contracts ended. The best way to stop competition is to absorb them into your own organization.

Of course this would only happen if they feared Tesla and the competition from same. As far as I can tell they are firmly convinced that EV's are a "niche product" that nobody wants. Sooo…. I'm guessing they'll more likely sit on their bums and continue to make half hearted attempts at an EV while not wanting to make anything TOO good lest it cannibalize sales of their higher profit ICE vehicles. In the meantime, the EV Ship will sail without them and they'll be in the same boat with all the Buggy Makers who swore that Horses would always be the preferred mode of transportation.

By putting everything he had on the line to save Tesla in the dark days before the gov't loan, Musk demonstrated that he has priorities far above money. Perhaps long after the Model E is released, and the fate of EVs has been settled once and for all, he might relinquish...but not until then.

What's to stop any entity from just acquiring a significant amount of shares?

Elon holds a significant block of shares as do a couple of other individuals. I'd suspect that it would take a price like $500 or more to pry the shares away. And that's assuming that Elon will go back on what he said about staying until 50% of the cars on the road are electric (not necessarily Tesla).

Elon holds a significant block of shares as do a couple of other individuals. I'd suspect that it would take a price like $500 or more to pry the shares away. And that's assuming that Elon will go back on what he said about staying until 50% of the cars on the road are electric (not necessarily Tesla).
Where did he say that? I only heard he was the last one to sell shares and it would be after gen III launch.

I don't think they will. The expense just isn't worth it. A partnership may be a good move, similar to what Daimler has.

There are two reasons a major car company would want to buy Tesla, either they think Tesla is going to dominate the entire market, and they want to be the ones to do that, or they want to crush EVs and keep the status quo.

If the objective is to crush EVs, buying Tesla would cost so much money that whichever company bought it would lose enough capital that they would probably lose to other ICE manufacturers.

If the objective is to dominate the EV market, it would be cheaper to spend money on developing their own EVs to beat Tesla by taking advantage of their larger budgets and ability to scale up EV production by switching factories that used to build ICE cars.

CNBC: Tesla might find a buyer in 2014: Pro

Elon Musk (@elonmusk) tweeted at 10:35 PM on Tue, Jun 04, 2013:
"Forgot to say one thing at Tesla annual shareholders meeting: just as my money was the first in, it will be the last out."

Where did he say he would sell after gen III launch?

Elon Musk (@elonmusk) tweeted at 10:35 PM on Tue, Jun 04, 2013:
"Forgot to say one thing at Tesla annual shareholders meeting: just as my money was the first in, it will be the last out."

Where did he say he would sell after gen III launch?

He says at the beginning of this Reuters interview last summer that he will be running Tesla and SpaceX "for the next several years, probably at least the next five years."
Reuters Insider

"Never say never. Never say always." That has always seemed to work in my life.

But: GM will NEVER buy Tesla while Elon Musk controls Tesla.

It's only too obvious that if GM, or any other major auto mfg buys out Tesla, it will be to kill it. Oh, sure, they will pretend to keep building EVs, but first it will be the battery is too expensive, and it gets cut to 100 mile range. Then the maintenance on the supercharger stations goes out of focus and you can't find one that works. Then it's "It takes a billion dollars to build a new one" story, so research dies. So we use an ICE frame, but all the room is taken up by the batteries. And we've found that you have to bring it in for service every 5000 miles to change the coolant and brake fluid! The big motor is hard to control, but the smaller motor will do fine. And who needs much regen, anyway? Then the fires. It's not safe! Well, we can always fall back on our ICE lineup. We know how to do that....

There is no reason to ever think that sane people would let an existing market model take over Tesla. But that's the catch, isn't it?

GM had the on of the first working commercial EVs in the world, ten years before Tesla. Where is it now? Oh, yeah, they crushed them all so no one will know how good they were.