Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla do a press conference or a media event for the Alphbuild?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im sure most of us are aware that Tesla planned on releasing the Alpha build by the end of 2010. Well we're about 11 days away from the end of the year and no world has been made on whether they're going to do it or not.

My question is are they even going to make the Alpha build public? I highly doubt that Tesla would make a press release in Novermber 2010 about having the Alpha build being done by the end of 2010 and then not be able to accomplish their goal.

I think that you're right on this call q...I wish I could find out for sure if the Alpha build will be there.
I usually go to the Toronto show, but TM won't be there this year (according to the TM Toronto office)...disappointing if the Alpha makes it to Detroit, but not to Toronto as the Toronto show is only a few weeks later.

I'd drive the 4 hours to Detroit to see the Model S Alpha build...

If anything, they will do it at the Detroit auto show in January.

I think numbers are being mixed up.

I understand that 100'000 cars are to be produced p.a. on the Model S platform (Model S, Model X, convertible and a commercial vehicle). Bluestar would be 400'000 p.a., but that's a number I haven't seen yet.

Any updates on the alpha build release? Two weeks before NAIAS is open to the public.

I saw a comment on Engadget earlier that indicates the Alphas are done (internally anyways):

Working as part of the Model S mfg team, I can tell you it is a single unit. Don't take the #s below as gospel, I'm being purposely vague - I'm sure you understand. ;^)

Cells → modules → packs. X# of [Panasonic] cells become a module, Y# of modules become a pack. Packs are bolted to the underside of the body with 30-something bolts.

I wouldn't give a direct correlation of a battery-swap to an engine swap. Compared to an engine, the battery-pack is quite large & unwieldy. Most of the people doing engine swaps at home are swapping V8s, which generally go in from above, with a hoist. So you're only lifting the weight of the engine (300-700lbs). (Here, we're completely ignoring the fact that ppl who spend Mercedes-money on a car are not the type of ppl who do engine swaps in their driveway... :^) ).

If you wanted to swap a battery pack at home, 1st, you'd need to be able to receive something that weighs over 1000lbs., and has a footprint of something like 6ft x 8ft - not realistic in most ppl's homes. Then you'd need to support both the battery pack & the body - separately, of course, since you're removing it - the body weighing in at over 2000lbs (thanks to lots of Aluminum). Then you have to roll one or the other away - now, using three times the footprint of the vehicle. Then do it all again, in reverse.

You really need a vehicle lift to remove the pack. It will be interesting to see the possible infrastructure develop around swappable packs. If you want to mirror the ICE infrastructure, then this is the way to go. But, I think we need to evolve from that allegory. I'm not going to postulate on what that could be - I work in process & internal logistics planning, not power-train engineering - but I joined Tesla to be part of this exciting future.

I just got to see the 1st Alpha proto run.... And, boy, did that thing run! The production vehicle will be as sexy as the red/silver rollers in all the photos. So awesome....

-bZj

Unless battery swap stations become run of the mill. I could see it becoming like the propane tank rental spots.

I think that'd be great and hopefully it'll happen some day. Maybe in the future but I can't see that there will be enough electric vehicles in the next 5-10 years to make battery swap stations feasible especially since they'd need to support batteries from multiple manufacturers. If all electric vehicles shared a common battery that could be swapped like project better place is trying to do, then it'll happen faster. I think quick charging stations placed in-between major cities in 50-100 mile increments will happen sooner and be cheaper but that's just a guess on my part of course.

The Engadget article contains a comment from someone who claims to be "Working as part of the Model S mfg team".

Anyone know if this is accurate? I rarely see direct feedback from TM employees or at the very least, they do not put themselves out in this manner. Usually remaining anonymous. The TM blog rarely has questions answered except by other posters. Perhaps some are TM employees?

The Engadget article contains a comment from someone who claims to be "Working as part of the Model S mfg team".

Anyone know if this is accurate? I rarely see direct feedback from TM employees or at the very least, they do not put themselves out in this manner. Usually remaining anonymous. The TM blog rarely has questions answered except by other posters. Perhaps some are TM employees?

The guy seems legit. If you click on his profile it brings up his twitter and he has picture of himself with the Model S prototype, a picture from the Tesla X-mas party...etc.