TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Will Tesla do a press conference or a media event for the Alphbuild?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Fr23shjive, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Fr23shjive

Fr23shjive Member

Im sure most of us are aware that Tesla planned on releasing the Alpha build by the end of 2010. Well we're about 11 days away from the end of the year and no world has been made on whether they're going to do it or not.

My question is are they even going to make the Alpha build public? I highly doubt that Tesla would make a press release in Novermber 2010 about having the Alpha build being done by the end of 2010 and then not be able to accomplish their goal.

2. Kevin Harney

Kevin Harney Active Member

Obviously you are new around here LOL Tesla does that all the time. Have they made a single deadline yet :D ?

3. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

If anything, they will do it at the Detroit auto show in January.

4. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

I think you are correct qwk. For those of us following Model S development, the time between end of 2010 and Detroit auto show is a nano-second. My concern is it drags on into Q2 2011 or beyond.

5. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

I think that you're right on this call q...I wish I could find out for sure if the Alpha build will be there.
    I usually go to the Toronto show, but TM won't be there this year (according to the TM Toronto office)...disappointing if the Alpha makes it to Detroit, but not to Toronto as the Toronto show is only a few weeks later.

I'd drive the 4 hours to Detroit to see the Model S Alpha build...

6. JRod0802

JRod0802 Member

I also think you're right. If I remember correctly, they mentioned that it would be there in their Q3 2010 investors conference call.

7. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

8. kgb

kgb Member

Games Beat

9. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

They plan to ramp up to 500,000 vehicles on the Model S? Not sure if those numbers are accurate but good to know it'll be shown at the Detroit Auto Show.

10. Adm

Adm Active Member

I think numbers are being mixed up.

I understand that 100'000 cars are to be produced p.a. on the Model S platform (Model S, Model X, convertible and a commercial vehicle). Bluestar would be 400'000 p.a., but that's a number I haven't seen yet.

11. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

Any updates on the alpha build release? Two weeks before NAIAS is open to the public.

12. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I saw a comment on Engadget earlier that indicates the Alphas are done (internally anyways):

13. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

That last statement in bold got me excited! Can't wait.

14. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

Thanks for posting this. 30+ bolts? How can a battery swap be done in 1 minute?

I do lots of work on my vehicles; but would not attempt a battery swap. The pack weight is enough to flatten a person. At least this bodes well for battery pack anti-theft protection. :biggrin:

15. Fr23shjive

Fr23shjive Member

I called one of the sales people at Tesla and he confirmed that the Model S will be at the Detroit auto show. I don't remember his name so you'll have to take my word for it.

At least we only have to wait less than 2 weeks to see if he was right or not.

16. dsm363

I think they're quoted a 5 min battery sway in the past. The battery swap really won't be an issue since there won't be anywhere swap the battery other than a Tesla store.

17. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Unless battery swap stations become run of the mill. I could see it becoming like the propane tank rental spots.

18. dsm363

I think that'd be great and hopefully it'll happen some day. Maybe in the future but I can't see that there will be enough electric vehicles in the next 5-10 years to make battery swap stations feasible especially since they'd need to support batteries from multiple manufacturers. If all electric vehicles shared a common battery that could be swapped like project better place is trying to do, then it'll happen faster. I think quick charging stations placed in-between major cities in 50-100 mile increments will happen sooner and be cheaper but that's just a guess on my part of course.

19. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

The Engadget article contains a comment from someone who claims to be "Working as part of the Model S mfg team".

Anyone know if this is accurate? I rarely see direct feedback from TM employees or at the very least, they do not put themselves out in this manner. Usually remaining anonymous. The TM blog rarely has questions answered except by other posters. Perhaps some are TM employees?

20. Fr23shjive

Fr23shjive Member

The guy seems legit. If you click on his profile it brings up his twitter and he has picture of himself with the Model S prototype, a picture from the Tesla X-mas party...etc.