Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla make the "by the end of January 2015" promise for torque sleep? (P85D)

Will Tesla make the "by the end of January 2015" promise for torque sleep? (P85D)

• Yes, as promised

Votes: 33 27.0%
  • Nope, will be late

Votes: 89 73.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you guys See Elons tweet today saying the update is coming soon. And acceleration increase of .1s. I originally voted as an optimist and think they will push it out by Saturday.

edit- although he did say that this was an inverter algorithm update, so they could possibly be two totally different updates. And soon to Elon seems like a generally vague length of time.

Last edited:
I know you disagree but I don't think Tesla promised any timeline on Autopilot. Several months is basically open ended. I think you'd be hard pressed to make much progress on arguing they aren't meeting such a vague timeline when they have shipped 6.1 with TACC already.

But as far as I'm concerned they've almost certainly already missed the end of January promise. My bet is that they'll have torque sleep out sometime in the first two weeks of February. This is based on what I'm seeing with the S85D orders. My S85D order began production on January 17th and was pulled off the line and is sitting as a painted body waiting on something that is vaguely described as them being sure to provide the best car possible. I've been told I'll resume production in the first 2 weeks of February and other S85D orders are being told their production will begin around that same timeframe. If I assume that the problem is the torque sleep software and the P85D and S85D versions will be available simultaneously then I'd expect them to have the software ready right as they start production so the cars can be shipped with that version shipped from the factory.

I have a lot more understanding of your frustration with them missing that deadline because they gave a clear deadline. That said if things play out like I'm guessing I wouldn't sweat an extra two weeks too much.

Well, as for the autopilot timeline, TACC is not autopilot. There is nothing anywhere in my car that I can enabled that is labeled "Autopilot." My order documents have a paid option labeled "Tech package with autopilot". Doesn't says "with autopilot hardware that you can't actually do anything with." According to legal paperwork, I'm supposed to have a car with autopilot right now. However, the "several months" timeline isn't really open ended. I wouldn't exactly consider several to be open ended. Generally meaning two or three but not many. That and the fact they used the word "months" would put a cap on the time frame of late Q2 or early Q3 at a maximum IMO.

However, autopilot is a different can of worms than the efficiency issue. We all knew autopilot wasn't active when we purchased, even if Tesla was a bit vague on this if you weren't keeping up with all of the news. So, waiting on that, even if it is several months, is not a deal breaker. Come Q3 and no autopilot, I'll be raising hell, though.

The efficiency issue is something that was a key point in the dual motor setup that was promised and was never ever stated to be less than the existing RWD models prior to ordering or delivery. Now, over a month after delivery, I, and others, have vehicles that are eating more power than they should and less efficient than what was advertised. Only after the fact, weeks later, did Tesla promise an update to fix this issue, and they put a time frame on it. This is something that should have been done before delivery and it is really a courtesy on the part of P85D owners that we're even letting Tesla slide on this so long after delivery. Missing the "end of January 2015" time they put on the update themselves, an update we've been told is already in use at Tesla for the EPA numbers and such, is pretty unacceptable and another strike against them in my book if they fail to delivery as promised.

It's not like this is some update for a new feature that Tesla is promising as an improvement on the vehicle that no one expected. This is something that is core and should have already been in the car before I drove away from the service center. Delaying it past then is already bad, but I'll get over that if they can fix it. Delaying it past their own deadline for a fix is worse, however.

I've said it before, if they didn't have it ready to go they shouldn't have put a time on it.

- - - Updated - - -

I think Elon should be banned from using the word "soon" he doesn't know what it means. :wink:

I think Elon should be banned from writing anything about anything that doesn't exist yet (as in available to customers) with regard to Tesla.

Well, as for the autopilot timeline, TACC is not autopilot. There is nothing anywhere in my car that I can enabled that is labeled "Autopilot." My order documents have a paid option labeled "Tech package with autopilot". Doesn't says "with autopilot hardware that you can't actually do anything with." According to legal paperwork, I'm supposed to have a car with autopilot right now. However, the "several months" timeline isn't really open ended. I wouldn't exactly consider several to be open ended. Generally meaning two or three but not many. That and the fact they used the word "months" would put a cap on the time frame of late Q2 or early Q3 at a maximum IMO.

However, autopilot is a different can of worms than the efficiency issue. We all knew autopilot wasn't active when we purchased, even if Tesla was a bit vague on this if you weren't keeping up with all of the news. So, waiting on that, even if it is several months, is not a deal breaker. Come Q3 and no autopilot, I'll be raising hell, though.

The efficiency issue is something that was a key point in the dual motor setup that was promised and was never ever stated to be less than the existing RWD models prior to ordering or delivery. Now, over a month after delivery, I, and others, have vehicles that are eating more power than they should and less efficient than what was advertised. Only after the fact, weeks later, did Tesla promise an update to fix this issue, and they put a time frame on it. This is something that should have been done before delivery and it is really a courtesy on the part of P85D owners that we're even letting Tesla slide on this so long after delivery. Missing the "end of January 2015" time they put on the update themselves, an update we've been told is already in use at Tesla for the EPA numbers and such, is pretty unacceptable and another strike against them in my book if they fail to delivery as promised.

It's not like this is some update for a new feature that Tesla is promising as an improvement on the vehicle that no one expected. This is something that is core and should have already been in the car before I drove away from the service center. Delaying it past then is already bad, but I'll get over that if they can fix it. Delaying it past their own deadline for a fix is worse, however.

I've said it before, if they didn't have it ready to go they shouldn't have put a time on it.

- - - Updated - - -

I think Elon should be banned from writing anything about anything that doesn't exist yet (as in available to customers) with regard to Tesla.

Well said. While I will not even consider legal action if it does not come out on the TM stated deadline or even my arbitrary 'soon', it is not, and should not be, acceptable. It appeared that TM had a good back log of orders before the 'D' event and subsequent production so there was really no need to rush out the D until all the hardware (seats) and firmware was ready. It has been speculated that the reason for the X delay is to make sure it is near perfect. Thus, I feel the 'D' should have been delayed till it was perfect or near perfect.

The D is in every way better than my P85+ and I am fortunate to own them. I get that this is a truly first world problem.

However, TM should have been able to do a better job with the D.

Well, my "soon" for the efficiency is probably mid February. For autopilot, June-ish.

For the efficiency issue if it isn't fixed I'm going to just start by harassing service about it. When/if they don't correct it, I'll contact Tesla and advise them that the specifications of my vehicle do not match the monterey sticker (which happens to be a violation of federal law...) and request that this be corrected. If no dice there, I'll get someone like this guy on the case.

For autopilot, basically the same process, but in July probably.

I'm hoping there is no need. But, while I may sound like an a*****e for all of this, I don't like feeling like I got ripped off. That's how I feel at the moment about the efficiency problem, and that's how I'll feel if I have no autopilot this summer. When I get ripped off, I pursue remedies. Simple as that.

Without Elon's optimism there would be no Tesla Motors and no Model S. This is the guy who not only put his last cent into Tesla when no one else would fund them, he borrowed a lot of money as well. His optimistic promises that frustrate some customers when they get fulfilled months later than the promised date are just another (negative) manifestation of his belief in Tesla's ability to overcome any obstacle.

As for me, I'm happy for Elon to keep promising. I'm willing to apply a discount factor, and I like knowing what improvements are coming in the future, even if I don't know when.

Perhaps a solution for you would be to take to your car with a sledge hammer to get even more attention.
That was seriously uncalled for. Wk057 has several valid point/views shared by many, including myself, and is also a very keen contributor to actually proving the range issue. I am fairly certain that the work done by him is at least partially the reason the range-blog and this deadline even exists.

For me it is simply embarrasing for Tesla if they dont meet their own deadline here. Autopilot I dont care so much about since TACC is the feature I really wanted there, but range-update not coming is simply embarrasing.