Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla open up the SuC network [in UK]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Weird. I wonder how they got the charge going as it wasn't on the app until Tuesday night.
Over the last two years I have seen some non-Tesla EV's arrive at a SC and just plug in and expect it to start charging as that is what they have seen the Tesla drivers do! They are probably the same ones who have little knowledge of planning a route or even how non-Tesla public chargers work.

Some have heard that Tesla SC's are open to all users and just presume that all sites are open.

I saw a Range Rover at Tebay two years ago (when they were v2) just plug in the Type 2 style Tesla plug and then wandered over and asked how to start it charging, so I politely explained this was only for Tesla's and that was a Tesla plug not a Type 2. When Adderstone opened up a VW pulled in and plugged in and then asked why it didn't work. Had no idea and done no research, but know the site was now open to all. I explained about the app and got it downloaded and working for them.

You should always remember that "average intelligence" is not a high threshhold, and the maths mean that half the population are below that!!

Weird. I wonder how they got the charge going as it wasn't on the app until Tuesday night.
Fair point well made! I'm happy to be wrong, it was just our first experience there and being a new Tesla driver at the time wouldn't have even thought of that.
I haven't seen it since, only used them a couple of times because they're local and obviously we usually charge at home. 🙂
I'm really interested to see just how quickly this turns out to be a complete *sugar* show across the board.
Tesla is supposed to be data driven, opening chargers carefully, based on demand...
All of a sudden none of that applies, who's looking at the data? Who's setting prices?
How many times will we see V2 sites showing 4 out of 8 stalls free but none available to use, entire site occupied by wrong side port cars?

(Not expecting you to respond there Sean, just my general thoughts.)

Over the last two years I have seen some non-Tesla EV's arrive at a SC and just plug in and expect it to start charging as that is what they have seen the Tesla drivers do! They are probably the same ones who have little knowledge of planning a route or even how non-Tesla public chargers work.

Some have heard that Tesla SC's are open to all users and just presume that all sites are open.

I saw a Range Rover at Tebay two years ago (when they were v2) just plug in the Type 2 style Tesla plug and then wandered over and asked how to start it charging, so I politely explained this was only for Tesla's and that was a Tesla plug not a Type 2. When Adderstone opened up a VW pulled in and plugged in and then asked why it didn't work. Had no idea and done no research, but know the site was now open to all. I explained about the app and got it downloaded and working for them.

You should always remember that "average intelligence" is not a high threshhold, and the maths mean that half the population are below that!!
I guess the other side to this argument is that it’s just too complex currently. Hopefully when they all have to take card payments that’ll solve it as it can kill off having to have an app to charge. Though no doubt you’ll still need that for cheaper rates.