Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla punish their supporters, or refund $3,000?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was not aware FSD is working now, Early Access is a way to say don't be mad we screwed you, here is yet some more intangible stuff.
Lol, it absolutely doesn't. But Early access is encompassed every software change, not just autopilot related. Also Navigate on Autopilot was able to be tested with auto lane change to early-access people and we still don't have it, so whatever it is some fun for early adopters.

It was in writing that the post delivery price for FSD was much more expensive on their page, so I bought FSD for that reason Now it's cheaper than ever so I feel deceived.

Early access program is not specifically for FSD features either. You just get the firmware everyone gets a tiny bit before everyone else (if you're on wifi and sacrifice 1 pint of virgin blood)

At the bare minimum Tesla should honor those who bought FSD early and install HW3 for those first and give them special FSD features for testing. This won't kill the company because they're bound to this later anyway .

fsd.JPG

I got this from the Tesla site just now. It *still* says $7000 post-delivery.

FSD is not a delivered product. There is precedent. EVERY company I’ve ever dealt with gives a refund for a product if the price is reduced BEFORE delivery. This is not the same as giving a refund on a product you drove home and are using.
Tesla is not like any other company you (or I) have ever dealt with. Their marketing is pushing the boundaries of deception. I still have the car which was advertised at 691hp, Elon touted it as a 700hp car, and yet, all Tesla delivered was 463hp and an excuse how most of my car can is 691hp capable, just not the battery or the inverter connected to it. Anyone who got FSD, get ready for "your car is totally capable, except for the computer, cameras, or whatever is preventing your car from even achieving FSD". Welcome to Tesla marketing. Sorry you got taken for $3K, I paid $25K for extra 278hp, got 50hp and an excuse. AP1 summon I paid for was supposed to "find me anywhere on private property" and my car was supposed to have reliable blind spot monitoring. My car was also supposed to get better with all the OTA updates, and yet, the browser has been pretty much dead for almost a year now, and V9 has horrible user experience. But, I guess Tesla will spin it that browser not working is for my safety, so I don't browse while driving.

Key difference: cars and options delivered. FSD has not been delivered.
My 691hp was never delivered. AP1 summon was never delivered (the one which was supposed to find me anywhere on private property). SDK which was "just around the corner" in 2013 was never delivered. Reliable blind spot monitoring and warning for AP1 was never delivered (though Tesla did cleanse that from their website, along with summon illustration showing car meeting you at the curb perpendicular to the driveway). And guess what, my then flagship P85D has depreciated more than 50% since. Elon promises stuff all the time he never delivers (at least not to people that paid for it when he promised it), which is why you should never pay for anything from Tesla until it's ready to be delivered.

So, just to point this out, the link you provided actually discredits your original post. You originally stated those who bought EAP would get FSD for free and this clearly says those people will get a discount on FSD, paying $2k instead of $3k. Therefore, if anything, you should be asking for a $1k refund not $3k. And the link also addresses people in your situation by stating those who paid $8k for EAP + FSD will become members of Tesla’s “Early Access Program” giving them a benefit, albeit non-financial.

I paid $5k for EAP back in October and have no regrets, even though AP is now $3k. My money got me some additional features that aren’t in AP and 4 months driving the world’s greatest automobile. You bought a car, it’s a depreciating asset not an investment. Drive it, enjoy it, and qwitcher bitchin.

YOU GAMBLED AND YOU LOST, IT HAPPENS EVERY DAY, GET OVER IT!!!

That is a calculated choice based on representative statements, not a gambling decision. I own a business with 18K customers and we would never make such statements or use such poorly executed and delivered sales tactics. Prices change but the games Tesla is playing are going to alienate customers and do significant damage to the brand if they keep this up. They easily could have one this better but it seems they have bean counters making the marketing decisions. All caps, really?

Last edited:
ebmcs03 said:
So people who didn’t buy anything are rewarded to purchased FSD for total of $5k now. But those of us who bought EAP now are penalized and have to pay $7k total to get FSD. F U Tesla!
------------------------------
Exactly. Tesla needs to make this right by adding FSD to those who already spent 5k on autopilot when they bought the car in 2018.

Elon / Tesla please listen. This issue will not go away without resolution.

Folks reading this, please call and write Tesla. Tesla will have to listen if enough of us bring this issue to them.

So, to the people that think they got overcharged.

Do you feel the same way when the fridge you purchased goes on sale for $400 dollars off the two weeks after you bought it?
Do you feel the same way when the phone you purchased last year goes on sale 6 months later at 40% off?
You must feel the same when the tires you bought last week just went on sale with buy three and get on free with 100 dollar Visa card included.

I say to you "Get over it, accept that life is unfair and stop your sniveling." Find something important to worry about. Go for a run or maybe a walk on the beach. If you don't like the car sell it. If you do like it, be happy that you do. A valid rant might be against gas tax, or maybe the way your city is run and wasting your money. Perhaps the state of the interstate system? Fight for something that will make a difference in the long run. Ponder what is important.

ebmcs03 said:
So people who didn’t buy anything are rewarded to purchased FSD for total of $5k now. But those of us who bought EAP now are penalized and have to pay $7k total to get FSD. F U Tesla!
------------------------------
Exactly. Tesla needs to make this right by adding FSD to those who already spent 5k on autopilot when they bought the car in 2018.

Elon / Tesla please listen. This issue will not go away without resolution.

Folks reading this, please call and write Tesla. Tesla will have to listen if enough of us bring this issue to them.

Even worse are the people who paid for FSD and got zero benefit out of it. Fair is $1K refund to them. Nice is $3K refund to them and free FSD to EAP buyers.

So, to the people that think they got overcharged.

Do you feel the same way when the fridge you purchased goes on sale for $400 dollars off the two weeks after you bought it?
Do you feel the same way when the phone you purchased last year goes on sale 6 months later at 40% off?
You must feel the same when the tires you bought last week just went on sale with buy three and get on free with 100 dollar Visa card included.
Not a valid comparison. We preordered a product (FSD) that Tesla has not yet delivered. Now, Tesla has reduced the pre-order price and is refusing to refund the difference. Furthermore, Tesla accepted our pre-order under false pretenses by telling us (often in writing) that pre-ordering FSD after vehicle delivery would cost more.

Any other company would give us two options — (1) cancel the pre-order for a full refund or (2) refund the difference in the pre-order price.

Not a valid comparison. We preordered a product (FSD) that Tesla has not yet delivered. Now, Tesla has reduced the pre-order price and is refusing to refund the difference. Furthermore, Tesla accepted our pre-order under false pretenses by telling us (often in writing) that pre-ordering FSD after vehicle delivery would cost more.

Any other company would give us two options — (1) cancel the pre-order for a full refund or (2) refund the difference in the pre-order price.

Perhaps, but is the time frame is the difference? If I order a Samsung Galaxy 10 now, and as a pre-order I get 100 dollars off and free ear buds. I am told that the price will go up to full list price in the future. This is true and I accept it as such. What I am not told is that within 6 months the price on the phone will lowered to below my pre-order price. On the other hand, markets change, perhaps the phone will not sell because of market conditions and they have to lower the price within a month or two.

I assume that you will argue that you never got the benefit of the FSD prior to the drop in price and therein lies the difference. I would have to agree with that argument. But then I realize that business fluctuates. I buy an airline ticket to Hawaii, at a discount, one month ahead of my trip being told that later I will have to pay full price. Yet, a day before my flight, I find that last minute deals are selling seats for less than I paid a month ago. Life is unfair my friend.

I would point out that you knew that Tesla was not running a nice balanced financial statement and as such you had seen, over the course of time, price increases and decreases. Should one therefore not assume that that would continue until such time the company becomes self sustainable? I do not believe that Elon (somewhat of a nutter but I still like him) really wants to lower the price and have some people upset but rather feels the need to acquire an influx of cash at this point in time. Do I think it fair? Not really BUT...life is not fair. You knew that there was a chance that FSD would not be allowed by regulation for a couple of years. If it was not allowed prior to the time you decided to sell your car would you expect a refund?

I think it comes down to this. The company, Tesla, would like to refund you your money and not have you upset, but if they did so and did not lower the price they might not have the additional income and therefore might be insolvent and close the doors. So then where would we be? That being said, I thank you for your contribution to keeping things going (for the time being).

Reactions: BulldogsRus