Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla remove FSD from a used car they are selling in their inventory? [no]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m looking at a used Model 3 for our daughter. They have added FSD to every used Model 3. I chatted online with someone and they said, “Once full self driving” has been added, it cannot be removed. We all know that is BS. It CAN be removed, but the question is, WILL they? Anyone had any luck taking off FSD for a used car?

I havent read any threads here that state tesla removed FSD from a used car in their inventory once it was on there. The closest thread is this one, however it turned out that the car in question was an inventory car being sold as NEW (from a title perspective).

I dont think they will, but thats not from inside knowledge, just people reporting that tesla wouldnt remove it from a used vehicle. Let us know if you are successful in getting it removed from a used vehicle in teslas inventory (and getting a reduced price that is commiserate with that).

Reactions: FFCars
Whenever a Used Tesla Car crosses the path of the refurbishment/used-arm of Tesla, FSD is removed (or at least it will at some point). This means if you are purchasing directly from the 1st owner, you will be safe in that Tesla will not touch FSD. Used car sold by Tesla will come the way they are advertised and if FSD is included as part of the sale, you will get FSD (forever). There are many other scenarios where cars travel from a Tesla auction to a dealer and FSD is not immediately removed, but may be removed after the buyer has the car. There are many threads here regarding all these possibilities and people’s “horror” stories regarding this.

Any update on this? Some great used Y's available at Tesla.com with FSD and if i get $15k off I will get used instead of waiting on my ordered car

There has not been a single report here (or anywhere else) that I have read, of tesla removing FSD from a USED vehicle in their inventory. Not one. Every single case of FSD being removed has been from a vehicle being sold as new, not used.

Reactions: Leeclanual
There has not been a single report here (or anywhere else) that I have read, of tesla removing FSD from a USED vehicle in their inventory. Not one. Every single case of FSD being removed has been from a vehicle being sold as new, not used.
Sucks as it is a flick of a switch on their end. I do subscribe but $15k is not good for me as it wont transfer to another tesla when upgrading later

i am asking now To my local SC. I’ll post here if they give me a straight answer. Can be some amazing deals if they remove even 10k.

You would be the first reported anywhere I have seen in over 4 years of reading here daily, of tesla removing FSD from a used vehicle they are selling, and reducing the price accordingly.

Think about it from the accounting perspective:
They bought a car back from someone with FSD. That means they sold FSD once.
Removing it from a car means they "un-sell" that original FSD. Not a good look.
You can't ever get a refund from Tesla for FSD- this would just be an end-run around this.

Also, they paid for FSD as part of that purchase of the used Tesla. They likely only paid a couple $K more for the car because of it.
Now they remove it before selling a car, dropping $10K+ off the sales price. That's a major loss.

Don't think of Tesla as a special seller of Teslas- they're just any other dealer of them, buying used ones and selling them for more than they paid. A 3rd party can't remove FSD, so why would Tesla on a used car?