Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla sue Dan O'Dowd?

Will Tesla sue Dan O'Dowd?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He makes it very clear that the dummy was hit three times, but nowhere does he claim they did just three trials (they are crystal clear about this with their language - very clearly left unspecified).

It seems very likely they were legitimate tests for all the reasons discussed elsewhere, no need to rehash here.

So no misrepresentation. Just selective testing as the affidavits make clear.
That hardly means there was no misrepresentation.

Tbh I don't know if Tesla would want this going through the court and potentially needing to disclose stuff about the system that's known by very few people and probably almost exclusively internally

But I think this test was set up to exploit weaknesses in the system and they probably have lots more ammunition, very specific tests they could set up where they know the system can be pushed into failure. I mean it's almost what O'Dowd's company does, finding and exposing weaknesses in software.

When O'Dowd says this is the worst commercial software they've seen, I think they're talking about the ease in pushing it to failure

Tesla very clearly promised Level 5 to FSD buyers at the time I bought my car. At present it's claiming that Level 2 would fulfill its promises.

This is very different, because Musk is promising something that is widely understood to mean one thing, and trying to say he's fulfilled the promise with something else altogether.

“Elon Musk says Tesla's Full Self-Driving tech will have Level 5 autonomy by the end of 2021”​

Someone should just take out a full page ad with DoDs original graphic and put a giant #FAKENEWS over the top of it.
What about a simple feel-good tv ad where the Tesla avoids a family crossing the street and everyone sits down for icecream together at the end. Tesla could really do wonders with some endearing ads.

Do we still wonder why middle/rural America sees Tesla as a cold, tech-focused, nerdy company and the cars are an affront to the traditional? All we hear is the joke that "Tesla drivers won't shut up about their cars", and in the media the stories "Tesla crashes, Tesla catches fire" rather than "car crashes, car catches fire".

This isn't an anti-Tesla point at all. Just that I think they're missing out on warm & fuzzy advertising, and how easy it is to charm people. Tech nerds like us will still buy the cars, Tesla needs to emotionally reach out to the rest. Might reduce the incidents of key scratching and Tesla-rage!?

Last edited:
Reactions: sleepydoc
What about a simple feel-good tv ad where the Tesla avoids a family crossing the street and everyone sits down for icecream together at the end. Tesla could really do wonders with some endearing ads.

Do we still wonder why middle/rural America sees Tesla as a cold, tech-focused, nerdy company and the cars are an affront to the traditional? All we hear is the joke that "Tesla drivers won't shut up about their cars", and in the media the stories "Tesla crashes, Tesla catches fire" rather than "car crashes, car catches fire".

This isn't an anti-Tesla point at all. Just that I think they're missing out on warm & fuzzy advertising, and how easy it is to charm people. Tech nerds like us will still buy the cars, Tesla needs to emotionally reach out to the rest. Might reduce the incidents of key scratching and Tesla-rage!?
Tesla does not advertise

Tesla doesn't need to advertise because the cars sell themselves. We might want people to feel better about Tesla, but until they can build more cars than they can sell, advertising is a waste of money.

Tesla doesn't need to advertise because the cars sell themselves. We might want people to feel better about Tesla, but until they can build more cars than they can sell, advertising is a waste of money.
Yes and no. Tesla has also had some negative publicity, and Elon isn’t really helping matters, either. It’s hard to gauge ’demand’ over the past year because supply chain issues have restricted supply across the board.

Tesla does not advertise
You're missing the point. Advertising can also sell good-will to change perceptions. Ask why do redneck truckers (or whoever) hate Teslas? There is certainly some kind of irrational hatred out there. Focus group the problem, figure out what causes the hatred and make a good campaign to address the problem. That's more Public Relations than trying to get more sales. Also talk about the plan to get more superchargers etc. (hint, it doesn't even have to be true....it's PR). Tesla has an image problem, outside of its comfortable fanbase, if you think it doesn't have an image problem then that's because you're in the comfortable fanbase.

Not that Tesla can be compared to the Exxon oil spill, but you get the point.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Say what?

Say what?

Don’t bother voicing opinions here. I am tired of being called a troll when I put forth an opinion contrary to the fanboys. There is not an open forum by a long shot.

You're missing the point. Advertising can also sell good-will to change perceptions. Ask why do redneck truckers (or whoever) hate Teslas? There is certainly some kind of irrational hatred out there. Focus group the problem, figure out what causes the hatred and make a good campaign to address the problem. That's more Public Relations than trying to get more sales. Also talk about the plan to get more superchargers etc. (hint, it doesn't even have to be true....it's PR). Tesla has an image problem, outside of its comfortable fanbase, if you think it doesn't have an image problem then that's because you're in the comfortable fanbase.

Not that Tesla can be compared to the Exxon oil spill, but you get the point.

My point is that Tesla doesn't care about its image. It cares about selling cars. Whether its production is limited by factory capacity, supply-chain issues, or anything else, it doesn't need to advertise until it has unsold cars. Tesla has abandoned its earlier intention of (eventually) selling an affordable car for the masses. So if (some) blue-collar workers hate Tesla, it doesn't affect the bottom line, because its target customer base is educated white-collar workers and tree huggers. People with garages where they can plug in at night. (Superchargers make road drips possible, but are a pain in the ass if that's your only charging option while at home.)

There will always be haters. Tesla doesn't care. Only the fanboys care what the rednecks think of Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: Dan D. and Dewg
Seems to me that they have evaluated the Tesla system and staged events to make it subject to failure. Will use these videos to threated lawsuits and hope to get a huge settlement (self serving)

Remember when the same strategy was used to make emotional videos to show the side fuel tanks of some pickups were vulnerable to side impacts. When their testing was not dramatic enough they rigged explosives to go off to assure the video would show fames from ruptured tanks.

Smells like a shakedown :(