Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla "unlock" AWD to P for hurricanes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since it sounds like most or all AWD model 3's can be software unlocked to P performance, do you think Tesla will or should unlock the AWD cars to P so people can get away from hurricanes faster? After all, they unlock battery capacity and give free supercharging.

Leave to someone from Idaho to ask a hurricane question. Basic answer, hell no.
More specific answer for someone who seems to not understand one. You can't get away faster, that's the problem. Even with Interstates turned one-way out of a hurricane area, traffic is often at a standstill.

I doubt that will ever happen. I'd love it if they would just do that for some post-purchase fee. I love my AWD, but knowing what I know now, I'd totally upgrade to the P if Tesla offered it for some buy-up fee (similar to what they do for AP and FSD). Lots of folks will have $7,500 - $10,000 (+) cash in a few months, and surely I can't be the only AWD purchaser that would upgrade without question if given the opportunity.

I know all that stuff about binning the motors (and possibly the inverters) but from what I've read the variances would be so small as to not be worth the effort. It seems more likely to me that Tesla is just software limiting the AWD models to keep production simple. Why spend more resources sorting through parts when Tesla's biggest focus is on production throughput. I think if they can get 11-15k more profit per unit by flipping one bit, they would just to that (and I think they are). So why not offer to flip that bit after purchase too?