Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the EPA revoke CA emissions waiver?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last edited:
Is this really such a big issue? If California was denied to have their own pollution standard they could certainly tax cars based on their CO footprint - could they not?

It's not just CO2 emissions. California has over 40 waivers and the bulk of them are to address poor air quality. California certified vehicles emit less NO and fewer particulates compared to those sold in other markets.

Are you saying that that NOx emissions and particulates could not be taxed?

It would be unprecdented and prone to legal battles. If the EPA follows through then yes, of course California will be looking at alternatives to prevent these cars from hitting our roads. Currently all regulations are mandated by CARB. The entire way that CA looks at air quality would be upended and we would likely see an expansion of power for CARB so that they can directly tax and control which vehicles are allowed to be shipped within state boundaries.

@kort677 said, "the power of the executive branch is limited by the power of the congress, hence when a president overreaches the legislative branch reigns him in." Not exactly what the constitution says, but I'll leave it at that. And you thought Obama overreached. :confused:

Hmm, I thought the constitution determined the powers of the individual branches of government...checks and balances and all that. Then, when the legislative and executive branches clash, the courts determine the final meaning of the law based upon constitutional and legal precedent. But, apparently, as soon as one party wins both houses all that constitutional balance is nonsense?

I also thought conservatives were strict constructionists, deficit hawks, and not judicial activists. At least they like to say so...until they actually get the power and then all that nonsense about states' rights, balanced budgets, activist judges, etc., just goes out the window.

Good luck with the actual real-world results of this new administration. That's all that really matters, not what everyone has to say about it. Sure seems like a lot of "let them eat cake!" going on.