Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EPA accuses Fiat Chrysler of excess diesel emissions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

rabar10

Model 3 >> Focus Electric
Dec 3, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
Reuters article:
EPA accuses Fiat Chrysler of excess diesel emissions
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency on Thursday accused Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV of illegally using hidden software that allowed significant excess diesel emissions, the result of a probe that stemmed from regulators' investigation of rival Volkswagen AG.

The EPA action affects 104,000 U.S. trucks and SUVs sold since 2014, about one-sixth the number of vehicles than in the Volkswagen case. The maximum fine is about $4.6 billion.

Here's the link to the EPA news release:
EPA Notifies Fiat Chrysler of Clean Air Act Violations | U.S. EPA News Releases | US EPA
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) today issued a notice of violation to Fiat Chrysler Automobiles N.V. and FCA US LLC (collectively FCA) for alleged violations of the Clean Air Act for installing and failing to disclose engine management software in light-duty model year 2014, 2015 and 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokees and Dodge Ram 1500 trucks with 3.0 liter diesel engines sold in the United States. The undisclosed software results in increased emissions of nitrogen oxides (NOx) from the vehicles. The allegations cover roughly 104,000 vehicles. EPA is working in coordination with the California Air Resources Board (CARB), which has also issued a notice of violation to FCA. EPA and CARB have both initiated investigations based on FCA’s alleged actions.

Déjà vu all over again...

Right. I'm guessing the new EPA will downplay this. It will be up to CARB to see it through. CARB has been independently verifying emissions results for a variety of brands so I wouldn't be surprised if they already knew about this.

Actually it was CARB that uncovered the use of these cheating devices through "enhanced testing procedures." News release available on their website.
Looks like CARB and EPA coordinated their two news releases, but I can't find any source that identifies one or the other as the originator of the info.

CARB news release:
News Release: 2017-01-12 Fiat-Chrysler notified of violations of federal and California air quality regulations
CARB FAQ on this event:
FCA violations Frequently Asked Questions

Germany actually came out in September of last year with their suspicions on a separate Fiat 2-liter diesel engine in European FCA vehicles (the CARB/EPA is specific to 3-liter engines): FCA accused by Germany of using emissions cheat

From the press release:

"...the Volkswagen investigation and is now being used routinely by CARB for vehicle certification and in-use compliance testing. The current violations were discovered as a result of the enhanced testing procedures."

This implies to me that it was CARB that discovered the cheating device due to their recently enacted enhanced testing methods

• Informative
Reactions: rabar10
Didn't Pruitt, the new EPA head, say that they'd be requiring "Rolling Coal" mods for all new diesels?

Screen-Shot-2014-07-10-at-11.10.22-AM-e1405005103271.png

Didn't Pruitt, the new EPA head, say that they'd be requiring "Rolling Coal" mods for all new diesels?

Screen-Shot-2014-07-10-at-11.10.22-AM-e1405005103271.png

Well I do know the Evil 'Dr' Tran of the CARB says diesels kill more people each day in California than WWII killed globally from 1937 to 1946 (Russians were still mass killing in 1946, Japanese started mass killings in 1937) and he has the statistics and degree to prove it.

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

EDIT:

Pretty much if you hate compression ignition stop getting into jet aircraft.

Last edited:

I hope that Scott Pruitt's Senate confirmation hearing doesn't fly under the radar. It's scheduled for this Wednesday, 1/18. From today's New York Times
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/14/us/scott-pruitt-trump-epa-pick.html?_r=0

Excerpt: "In total, Mr. Pruitt filed 14 lawsuits challenging federal environmental regulations. In 13 of those cases, the co-parties included companies that had contributed money to Mr. Pruitt or to Pruitt-affiliated political campaign committees."

Oh boy, the fox is now just outside the hen house.