Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the second row seats fold flat? If so, how?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@tomsky however everything that happens at these events doesn't always come true:

Model_S-battery_swap.jpg

And let's not forget the lane holding / lane switching autopilot features demonstrated at the P85D launch :(

So at least at launch I'm in the "they won't fold" camp. (I think this is to do with seat belt mounting actually)

Maybe we'll get "next, next gen" seats at some point which do.

For all these clever ideas for making the fixed backed seats rotate, it gives some of the benefits of the flat floor for loading (in a height restricted way). However this isn't the only reason you want this.

One of the really useful features of traditional mini-van seating is kids sit in row 3, and have row 2 folded and used as tables. Taking the seats out (or stow into the floor as the more modern ones do) is also really handy.

TBH I'm still a little confused as to what the X is. It's neither MPV or SUV. I *thought* it was going to be a minivan without the stigma, but it seems they have ignored a lot of the good points of a minivan in favour of style :(

I have a Toyota Highlander and the center "seat" of the 2nd row can be stored under the center console. So, this idea makes perfect sense to me.

Also, love the clear - straight/flat floor around seats... Have you ever tried to clean after 2 little kids in an SUV? (not fun) this on the other hand looks like a dream to vacuum up and clean up after kids.

- - - Updated - - -

kill joy
;)
On a cool note - what with disappointment over 5K versus 10K towing capability and cost info - I figure we moved up at least 1,500 spots on the reservation list. Woo hoo !!
It is Class III towing, we just don't know if it is Weight Carrying AND Weight Distributing... see this thread for details: Model X tow capacity is too low for me

Something a lot of people appear to have missed:
m0v3w34.jpg

That little grove there suggests that the seats will tilt forward with the hinge mounted internally in the base. It would also means that the point where the seat is mounted to the frame is around the centre, not at the bend as you would typically expect (the big metal protrusion seems to be there purely for aesthetics). Given the length of the groove, this should allow the chair to tilt decently far forward though exactly how far forward remains to be seen. From the looks of things I don't think it will be a full 90 degrees though that could still be possible if there's a second hinge within the seat itself.

Just my two cents on the matter. Hopefully it helps the rest of you guys with your speculation.

Something a lot of people appear to have missed:
m0v3w34.jpg

That little grove there suggests that the seats will tilt forward with the hinge mounted internally in the base. It would also means that the point where the seat is mounted to the frame is around the centre, not at the bend as you would typically expect (the big metal protrusion seems to be there purely for aesthetics). Given the length of the groove, this should allow the chair to tilt decently far forward though exactly how far forward remains to be seen. From the looks of things I don't think it will be a full 90 degrees though that could still be possible if there's a second hinge within the seat itself.

Just my two cents on the matter. Hopefully it helps the rest of you guys with your speculation.
That circled groove is likely for the strut that supports the seat when rotated outboard. I'm not sure how that happens, because it'll require some serious mechanical ingenuity. It probably will need to move the seat up and forward before rotating, but it is possible (unlike other theories proposed). Time will tell.

This is precisely what it will do

What kind of weight do you think the second row seat folded into that position would be able to support on the upper portion? No matter how "stiff" the frame of the seat is, if you had 50lbs resting on the forward part right behind the front seat, even a minor dip in the road will turn that nice second row seat into a trampoline :confused:

RT

P.S. IANAME (I am not a mechanical engineer, nor do I play one on TMC)

This is precisely what it will do

The problem with that picture is it isn't to scale :(

Seats 2.png

The red line representing the base of the seat shell to the top of the headrest, the blue line representing the distance between the 1st and 3rd row seats. Unfortunately the red line is 15% longer than the blue.

(Admittedly this is based of a render that has perspective artefacts and I've eyeball-ed the heights, but as much as I'd like to believe the proposed folding mechanism, it just doesn't look like it will physically fit :( )

If you take a look at the following picture you can see why, the middle seat cannot slide under the first row as will be blocked by the center console:
View attachment 92793

We have no images showing what the back of the center console looks like. It could easily stop at the bottom of the seats and attach to their support structure. In the snuggle approach that I suspect, there's going to be a very strong base support across the rear bottom of the seats to prevent sag. The center console could attach there without any trouble.

- - - Updated - - -

Very likely imho.

Have people speculate why there is a platform underneath the third row? That seems completely unnecessary?

The rear drive unit is under the third row. The model S has the same setup, but it's hard to discern due to the way the rear seats are placed right against it.

The problem with that picture is it isn't to scale :(

View attachment 92821

The red line representing the base of the seat shell to the top of the headrest, the blue line representing the distance between the 1st and 3rd row seats. Unfortunately the red line is 15% longer than the blue.

(Admittedly this is based of a render that has perspective artefacts and I've eyeball-ed the heights, but as much as I'd like to believe the proposed folding mechanism, it just doesn't look like it will physically fit :( )

Why would you draw the red line on an angle like that? It should be parallel to the flat back of the seats. Plus, the bottom of the red line extends past the bottom of the seats. You can't make that kind of argument based on so many inaccuracies, including the fact that the image does not lend itself to this type of analysis (due to distortions, angles, may not be to scale, etc.). In my opinion, it's too close to call. However, if the seats do lie flat, this is currently the best guess. All other guesses simply won't work.

Why would you draw the red line on an angle like that? It should be parallel to the flat back of the seats. Plus, the bottom of the red line extends past the bottom of the seats. You can't make that kind of argument based on so many inaccuracies, including the fact that the image does not lend itself to this type of analysis (due to distortions, angles, may not be to scale, etc.). In my opinion, it's too close to call. However, if the seats do lie flat, this is currently the best guess. All other guesses simply won't work.

It's VERY rough and ready, and you are right, it is highly inaccurate. Though compared to the other picture where there is space in front of the headrest to the front seat, and somehow the seat sqaub can get behind the pedestal, which is equally based on guess work it's the best we can come up with until we physically see it in action.

FWIW I think the seats will recline/ tilt (in one piece squab and back in unison) as well as move backward and forward hence the change to the controls to the switches to look like a seat. I also think it's possible they will hinge forward, the bottom of the seat shell resting on the angle of the pedestal.

Like everything in this thread it's rampant speculation though.

When watching the pictures from the Model X reveal with the flat seats (both 2nd and 3rd row) i think that it is more and more unlikely that Tesla won't make that possibel. I think the 2nd row seats will be foldable between seat and back to som degree (e.g. 30-45 degrees). The hinge on the outside of the seats is placed some inches to low in design studio, but pictures from prototype seats (the black ones) look like a possibel solution. That would it make much easier to bend the hole construction forward and with the base moved as far back at possible the back of the seat fits.

We have no images showing what the back of the center console looks like. It could easily stop at the bottom of the seats and attach to their support structure. In the snuggle approach that I suspect, there's going to be a very strong base support across the rear bottom of the seats to prevent sag. The center console could attach there without any trouble.

Exactly what I think as well. This support structure might even be the reason for the new center console ahead of the armrest in the picture.
A side benefit of the 2nd row storage space under the 1st row is enormous foot room for all three 2nd row passengers.

Another side benefit of the 2nd row spooned up against the first row is that the 1st row occupants may get somewhat less crushed in the event of a crash. Anyone fancied sitting in the front seat of an SUV while braking hard with all the rear seats folded and a ton of cargo behind you?

Last edited:
Another benefit of the design is you wouldn't need to remove the child seats in order to fold the seats flat for cargo. Each seat could also fold flat independently so you could haul something long and yet still have room for back seat occupants. So you could fold the middle second row seat flat and put skis there but still have room to put people on either side of those skis. I'm also assuming the same will be true for the third row seats that each side can fold independently.

modelx.png