Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will these wires work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Posted right there in the Q & A on that product listing asks this type of question:

Question:This cable work for a 65 ft connection for a water heater of 13kw, 220v? With a 60 amp breaker?
Answer:No. You must meet the National Electrical Code for this application. Typically you would use NM-B Romex cable.

In other words, that is not building wiring, so no, you can't use it to run a circuit in a house.

Electrical code is not impossible for a layman to deal with, but you do need to know some stuff, and it's not always clear. Then there's local code. Then there's the inspector. You've got types of wires, types of conduit, ways to connect the conduit together, and a lot of other stuff going on. It's sometimes silly, but it's all done for a reason.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
Just a note. The lower the gauge the more difficult it is to work with, especially #6. You also should think about how many hours it will be plugged in at night and how much you need to charge. A 50amp breaker with 6/3 NM cable or 6/6/10 in conduit would be much easier.

Why not just run 6awg THHN cable with a 60a breaker to charge at 48a with your required 20% overhead on the breaker?

Edit: go to lowes or Home Depot and have it cut to length you need. Pick up some conduit while there and the required mounting hardware.

Reactions: Genie
Why not just run 6awg THHN cable with a 60a breaker to charge at 48a with your required 20% overhead on the breaker?
Because it's dumb to tear open walls to install conduit inside them. If any of your run is going overhead through an attic, or being sent down through a standard wall with sheetrock, you just don't bother with conduit for that. That's what Romex cable is made for. The location of where you need to run the circuit really determines if you would use conduit for it or not.

Edit: go to lowes or Home Depot and have it cut to length you need. Pick up some conduit while there and the required mounting hardware.
Yes, that is what i did for my home charger installation. Please check the city electrical codes. I had to use a metal conduit as drew the cable along the wall. I also got the connection inspected by city ( cost extra $) but did not want to have any issue with insurance in case of a fire.

Because it's dumb to tear open walls to install conduit inside them. If any of your run is going overhead through an attic, or being sent down through a standard wall with sheetrock, you just don't bother with conduit for that. That's what Romex cable is made for. The location of where you need to run the circuit really determines if you would use conduit for it or not.
#6 awg romex is technically only good for it's 60C rating of 55A. I think it varies between jurisdictions, but if you want a guaranteed inspection pass (60A breaker), it needs to be individual wires in conduit.

#6 awg romex is technically only good for it's 60C rating of 55A.
I know. I have to remind people of that CONSTANTLY here!
I think it varies between jurisdictions, but if you want a guaranteed inspection pass (60A breaker), it needs to be individual wires in conduit.
No it doesn't have to be wires in conduit. You could use Romex, but not 6 gauge. It would have to be up to 4 gauge to work for a 60A rated circuit. Damn.

My apologies. I meant it as a run on the outside of the wall and not through the walls. I think 60amp breaker is the best bet to get the max possible out of the charger, even if you don’t plan to use it at full speed now. Just future-proofing.