Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will this cable and adapter work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gosh then I think OP still doesn't have right spec, because linked camco cable is 14-50, not 14-30. Hingisfan, get a photo of your destination outlet and make sure your plug matches!

Yes, that's the whole point. By clipping the neutral pin on the 50 amp cable, you can use it on both Nema 14-50 outlets, and on Nema 14-30 outlets. (as long as you dial back car setting to 24 amps when charging on the 30 amp outlet.) Nobody makes Nema 14-30 extension cords, and I'm not handy enough to make my own, plus this gives me more charging options.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't understand removing neutral pin. I've been using that cable for years without doing so.

How do you fit it in a Nema 14-30 outlet?

Here is one made that way, if you don't want to clip your own:
Heavy-duty NEMA 14-50 extension cord for Tesla, 20 ft.
Perhaps the description will help some understand what people are recommending here. If you only need 20 feet this looks like a good option, but if you need 30 feet you will need to make it yourself.

Nice find, but 20 feet might be tight, and for the same price I can get this one when it comes back in stock.... Rodale 25 ft. 50 Amp Recreational Vehicle Extension Cord-RV50A25 - The Home Depot ....or go with the 30 foot Camco, but I have heard it is quite bulky and hard to coil. On the other hand, this cable for me, will be very occasional use. In the pictures though it seems to coil ok, so being all 3 are the same price (with $5), I may end up getting the Camco as it has the most length. Camco RV 30 50-Amp PowerGrip Extension Cord - Walmart.com

You know, if you're going to cut off the neutral blade anyways, you might as well build your own extension cord out of 6/3 soow cable from Home Depot. It'll end up being a lighter cable since you only have three conductors instead of four.

Is there a male 14-50 to female 6-50 adapter out there?

Yes.

8/3 1.5 Stw 14-50 - 6-50 Adapter - Extension Cords - Amazon.com

image.jpg

The neutral pin is the only difference between pin layout on 14-30 (straight) and 10-30 ("L" shape) and isn't used by Tesla for charging, so clipping it will make the plug fit on both outlets.
You meant "14-50 (straight) and 14-30 ("L" shape)". The 10 and 14 series outlets have a completely different layout. Both XX-30's have an L shaped neutral; the XX-50's have a straight neutral.

NEMA 14-30, 14-50, and the less common 14-60 are all identical except for the neutral pin. The 14-30 has an L-shaped neutral. The 14-50 neutral is a straight pin, parallel to the 2 hots. The 14-60 neutral is a straight pin, perpendicular to the hots.

NEMA connector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://www.generatorjoe.net/html/web/outlet/nemaspecs.gif