Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will wipers on -> headlights on ever happen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Given that there are both automatic wipers and automatic headlights, having the headlights turn on when the wipers turn on (as required in many jurisdictions) would be the sensible thing to implement in the software (and it would not be that difficult). But why is this feature absent?

Adding to the annoyance is that the headlight control is in the right side of the touch screen, and there is no voice command to turn on the headlights.

Reactions: h2oAok and mgs333
Great. I've never noticed that the wipers run without the headlights on and now it's the only thing I'm going to see when driving my car. 😄

Honestly though, I'm not sure I've seen that. My car's headlights seem to turn on quite often. Circumstances that would enable the wipers have likely turned on the lights long before the wipers. Is this something you see on a regular basis?

Or are you specifically referring to manually enabled wipers? Because that's different.

Reactions: RTPEV

Given that there are both automatic wipers and automatic headlights, having the headlights turn on when the wipers turn on (as required in many jurisdictions) would be the sensible thing to implement in the software (and it would not be that difficult). But why is this feature absent?

Adding to the annoyance is that the headlight control is in the right side of the touch screen, and there is no voice command to turn on the headlights.

It should (happen). Its a fairly easy change for them to make, since both are automatic as you mention. Will it? No idea... I suspect it will eventually, and when it does, there will be a whole bunch of people complaining about "how does the car know I want these on?!?!??!.. Its not mandatory here!!!! etc.

No matter what change is made in relation to these vehicles, or who it helps, a large online contingent will find fault with it for something.

I hope they do make this change at some point though, it seems very much like a "low hanging fruit" type no brainer thing.

Reactions: h2oAok and RTPEV
My 2015 Grand Cherokee has had this feature since new, so it's not like it's unheard of.

I don't understand why some people don't feel like turning on their headlights in the rain. Get a good enough mist built up on the highway and it becomes hard to see oncoming cars without lights on in the daytime.

My 2015 Grand Cherokee has had this feature since new, so it's not like it's unheard of.

I don't understand why some people don't feel like turning on their headlights in the rain. Get a good enough mist built up on the highway and it becomes hard to see oncoming cars without lights on in the daytime.
For the same reason they don't turn the headlights on until it's pitch black out. They don't want to "wear out" their $1000/each light assemblies.

The long-gone $10-$15 sealed-beam headlights might not have been as good, but they were cheap and easy to fix when they burned out, usually just requiring removal a trim piece and 4 Philips screws holding the headlight in the bucket.

Well, It appears that in the 2023.26.8 update that feature has been added. I guess we were not the only ones asking.

Reactions: freeAgent