Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will you buy FSD before the $1,000 increase on July 1st?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For safety purposes, spend $2500 on a high end Defensive Driving Academy.
You'd be surprised how many people have no idea how modern brakes are used.

I meant safer in that the car would be responding to threats that either I couldn't see, or didn't see. Doesn't matter how well you use brakes if you aren't applying them...

Oh. Driving different than you would but within the rules of the road and without safety concerns is really a non-issue.

Filed under same complaint about exactly how the car chooses to center in its lane. That's an extra ironic one in lots of cases because the car actually centers the "correct" way, driver's right foot in the very center of the lane, a lot of people don't do that but it is the "correct" place. My own habit is to cheat lanes one way or another because of traffic around me, but that's really just to mitigate a potential whoops. It is just a habit I have, I'm fine with other choices made.
No, this is not the way any driver would actually drive the car when two lanes merge. Since the merging lane is on the right of you, there is potential for a car to be there, or for someone to quickly accelerate to try to get in front of you. No one in the left lane of a merge swerves to the right to "center" within the two lanes, no one. To say that is the "correct" behavior is not even close to reality. If you drive that way, then I'll take that last statement back, but you should not drive that way because it just isn't safe.

Reactions: jmatero and TLLMRRJ
I just added FSD to my Model 3 yesterday, because: A) I plan to keep the car for decades, if possible, B) as a Tesla investor, I am willing to put my money where my mouth is, and I believe it will be worth the expense, C) I like being on the bleeding edge of some technology, and this edge interests me, and D) I also believe that while it may never become a truthful descriptor (that is "fully self driving"), I think that all of the added features, (both specifically promised, and those that will be added and improved over time) will make my car safer, which as the parent of a 9 year old, is a very important factor.

Just remember this part software company/part car company that you have so much faith in still can't get auto wipers (wipers are a critical and simple safety feature) to work worth a darn after 3 years of collect billions of miles of neural network data and pushing out firmware updates. Heck, even Fart Mode is still buggy. How hard is it to get a car to fart through the speakers compared to FSD?? Good luck to you!

No, this is not the way any driver would actually drive the car when two lanes merge.

Even if was true, which it really isn’t, that’s irrelevant. You need to be willing to ditch “that’s what humans do” if you’re going to successfully automate to optimum. Humans & AI & mechanical sensors have different strengths & weaknesses. Implied by that is that “best practice” won’t always be the same for them. A fatal mistake not to account for that.
Since the merging lane is on the right of you, there is potential for a car to be there, or for someone to quickly accelerate to try to get in front of you. No one in the left lane of a merge swerves to the right to "center" within the two lanes, no one. To say that is the "correct" behavior is not even close to reality. If you drive that way, then I'll take that last statement back, but you should not drive that way because it just isn't safe.

Let us consider for the moment that potential stream of vehicles to the right; First, an automated vehicle has a strong advantage over people on the question of whether or not there is a vehicle is there at a particular moment. That is because it’s attention is multifaceted, it’s direction sensor input omnidirectional in a way not even the most capable human can be. Further, if someone was there they’d soon become So increase in risk of “someone is there“ added by this maneuver choice is negligible.

Second, by using all of your lane you , going towards “center”, you discourage vehicle behind from increasing risk further on, as the -single lane- narrows to “normal” width, by trying to squeeze in to overtake.

So really, if you take the time to carefully consider, although kind of tedious for humans and having the risk of flubbing your shoulder check, it is an entirely sound maneuver for AP.

PS Which is why it is something that I (a CDL driver btw) do by habit in a somewhat similar situation.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: SlimJim
Just remember this part software company/part car company that you have so much faith in still can't get auto wipers (wipers are a critical and simple safety feature) to work worth a darn after 3 years of collect billions of miles of neural network data and pushing out firmware updates.
Just a reminder, as someone that lives in the same city as you I haven’t seen an issue with my wipers as you in well over a year. Best I can tell the solution is "clean your windshield", probably apply a product to aid in beading (to help keep it clean).

Heck, even Fart Mode is still buggy.

o_O ??? I can't even find this on Google.

This is a repeating pattern for you, like you exist at the center of a Bermuda Triangle of every single edge-case that's out there and it all hits you.

For example your prior complaint about headlight dimming is well and truly bizzaro. There are very, very few people that claim to have had issues with this in the last year or more. Once upon a time it was prone to switching to dim arguably errantly when there were huge numbers of reflectors roadside (like construction zones and such), but given how good the headlights are (I get bright-flashed commonly, I assume the oncoming mistake my dims as brights) that wasn't really much of a safety concern.

P.S. So which exits where those on the GP, again? And what was is "massive acceleration" you mentioned, have a further
explanation for that? Still waiting on that.

Reactions: EinSV
I’ll just point out:

1. There’s no removable battery.
  2. No memory card slot for extra storage.
  3. They removed the headphone jack.
  4. No side loading of apps.
  5. More choices in other ecosystems.
Seriously maybe the dumbest thread I’ve read.

In the words of Louis C.K. (sans planters) you are making a phone call through space.

If another manufacturer offers better, go buy it. But the whining is ... whining.

Your car drives itself in a bunch of scenarios, and that has increased over time. Just pause and think about it.

• Funny
Reactions: SammichLover
I just added FSD to my Model 3 yesterday, because: A) I plan to keep the car for decades, if possible, B) as a Tesla investor, I am willing to put my money where my mouth is, and I believe it will be worth the expense, C) I like being on the bleeding edge of some technology, and this edge interests me, and D) I also believe that while it may never become a truthful descriptor (that is "fully self driving"), I think that all of the added features, (both specifically promised, and those that will be added and improved over time) will make my car safer, which as the parent of a 9 year old, is a very important factor.

"Keeping it for a long time..." that's what they all say.. Give it a couple of years and I'd bet you won't be singing that same tune. New platforms come and and it'll be time to upgrade or switch. That FSD money is down the drain.

Reactions: Watts 4 Me
No. Basic AP is great. Anything more doesn't work. NoA is annoying and only works in very specific situations. Autopark doesn't detect parking spots most of the time and when it does, it's slow and doesn't park well. Summon is a party gimmick and scary to use in a crowded parking lot.
Yeah, I agree completely. The only useful feature of any auto-park I’ve used is identifying if a space is large enough to parallel park. But I can park much quicker (and avoid rim damage). I agree that it’s mostly a party trick to impress passengers. Same for auto-summon. Every single video demonstrating it on YouTube is the same: guy stands across parking lot and summons the car. Stands there with phone ready to stop the car at any sign of trouble, car eventually arrives. The driver could have kept his phone in his pocket, walked to the car, and driven out of the lot in the amount of time it took the summoned car to get maybe halfway to the owner. Both of those features are not convenience. They’re more like rolling advertisements for Tesla to impress non-owners. I’m not paying $8000 to impress people who aren’t making my monthly payment. ;)

I apologize if someone wrote this, but why not give everyone a trial run of 30 days? Is it difficult to turn FSD on and off? I know some people say they have it for a while when they buy their car despite not paying for it and vice versa.
For some who get a taste of it they'll learn that they can't live without it. For others like me it will add nothing to their lives.

Assume for the sake of argument that the value of FSD will continue to increase, and eventually be far in excess of what it costs now (e.g., $100k, as Elon suggests). How will Tesla prevent owners from monetizing that value, at the time it manifests? E.g, would the cost of the FSD upgrade on a ~ $50k car keep pace + continue to increase up to 2x the base cost of the car?

It's smartest to buy it and finance it when you buy the car. But a Tesla is a high-end high-tech wonder, and I wouldn't want a half a Tesla. The NOA and developing automation is what a Tesla is all about. Of course it's useful. Certainly more so than a lot of "customizing" that people spend comparable money on.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: tierneyalvin
It doesn’t matter what FSD does or doesn’t do. Individuals are generally going to justify their purchase (or non purchase) of any product or service.

I have no use for auto summon and will probably never use auto park. But:

1) Switching lanes without having to disengage/reengage AP (this would drive me CRAZY)
2) NOA (works fine where I live) and
3) Supporting the advancement of FSD

TO ME are absolutely worth the $7k, and if reordering today I would purchase again.

If we cut through the BS, it’s really about personal resources.

Is there any person here who WOULD NOT order FSD if they had $100 million in the bank?

If not, you would never order FSD, even it were free. So tbh I’m not sure why you’re commenting on the topic to begin with.

No. Basic AP is great. Anything more doesn't work. NoA is annoying and only works in very specific situations. Autopark doesn't detect parking spots most of the time and when it does, it's slow and doesn't park well. Summon is a party gimmick and scary to use in a crowded parking lot.
That's a good candidate for the Myth thread that's going on here. :)

Besides your list not being exhaustive, nor the bolded sentence being accurate, Cadillac prices its low rent version of NoAP at $5600. Subjectively not worth it to you? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I guess you aren't the market, there's only maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of buyers that are. But cries of FSD as the feature set exists right now, without future updates counted in, being overpriced doesn't square where the automobile market on the whole is. That's why I, having paid $7000 total for FSD, consider it to have been a smokin' deal for me.

P.S. I've always had Autopark and have never used it. Summon might be a "party gimmick" but I was entirely shocked by how much enjoyment I got out of using it a couple times. Of course I got it for "free", I never counted on getting or looked forward to getting it, I'd valued the package without its existence. It just showed up one day, bonus gift, and it blew my mind. :) So maybe I managed my exceptions differently?

Reactions: focher and EinSV