Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will you buy Tesla vehicle again?

Will you buy Tesla vehicle again?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About to hit my mileage cap on my lease (probably in Jul/Aug) and have determined the best time to get out is just before I'd have to re-up the warranty which will leave me with ~8mos on the lease. So, I'm actively discussing a new S 100D. Mostly need to see some things align on the personal front before I commit. Will probably lease again.

The Model 3 does concern me in terms of its potential to really hurt the company if it doesn't go well. It's a big reason I will likely lease again, even though my driving mileage will continue to be way over the cap.

I enjoy my S 85D every day. The only other material thing that provides that much enjoyment is my iPad. I have no regrets that I jumped on the bandwagon.
Hey @Skipdd what kind of lease do you have? Looks like it was a long one if it is beyond the warranty period.
Am also struggling to keep the mileage down, as I am on a 36 months, 10k miles/year lease. Really wondering how I will deal with that, and my Model 3 reservation.

OP: My Model S is the best car I've ever had, am totally re-uping. I have a Model 3 reservation, and my current lease on the S expires in September 2018. One-car family.

Love my car, hate that Tesla tricked me into buying S instead of 3 which I reserved Day 1. Yet, I absolutely love my S. Confused? I don't like to be tricked. Kapish?

I was tricked too. I reserved a 3. Later test drive an S and purchased one. The larger size is much more comfortable and has good performance. I had kept pickup as backup, but drove it once in 2 months. So it has to go...

I was kidding. The trick was me reserving a 3 and ending up purchasing a S (100D). I do like the S! The 3 would never be able to be our primary family car. Initially I was very against the size of the S, but it turns out to work very well for us. And I don't need to join the SUV group.
The S isn't really that big. Put it up next to a minivan or a truck/SUV and I think it looks small. It's the perfect size to me. I don't have trouble fitting it anywhere.

I'm still a little worried that I'm going to regret not waiting for the 3, but that is only because of the difference in price. My whole life everything has been about frugality and saving every penny. This was definitely the worst financial decision of my life, but there comes a time when you realize no matter how much wealth you've accumulated you're still poor if you don't allow yourself to spend it on something you really really want. No regrets yet. So far I'm glad Elon tricked me.

I would probably buy another Tesla, but probably not a brand new one again. That's just not my style. I feel a loyalty to Tesla, but could you imagine how reliable a Lexus BEV would be? I sure hope Tesla's reliability keeps getting better and that they start accommodating DIY repairs. If I can't repair my own car, with affordable parts, that will be a deal breaker. I work on and around 480V on a daily basis, so I should be allowed to work on my 300V electric car.

Last edited:
The S has almost the exact same wheelbase and same width as my old Buick. It's about a foot shorter so we have more room in the garage. My SO does not like big cars or sedans, she has an Impreza hatchback and it's about the right size for her. Before that she had a first generation Outback.

She has said if the Model Y is about the same footprint as the Model 3, she will seriously consider it, but she finds my car too big for her. However, that doesn't stop her from coming up with excuses to take it when I'm not going anywhere. The Model S is the only large car or sedan she's ever liked.

The Model S was a major stretch of my budget. If the Model 3 had been available when I needed a new car, I probably would have gone for it, but I love the S. Way more performance than I need, outstanding cargo space, enough range for most day trips and any other day trips have a supercharger on the route. My first long road trip to California was pretty good, the only drawback was dealing with some superchargers in California that were slow due to overuse. Overall it was better than driving an ICE on a long road trip.

Car companies with a lot of ICE cars don't want to make EVs with enough performance to really be wanted by most of their customers, so the offerings from other companies are wimpy and mostly short range EVs. GM does have the Bolt for range, but it's not the best looking car (IMO), it has poor cargo space, and isn't really getting the most out of the electric motor's capabilities. Tesla has shown the world what an EV can be and it is superior to an ICE in just about every way if done correctly.

Some European car makers are talking about making EVs with performance, but none have hit the market yet. When available, they might actually pose some competition to Tesla's upper end, but I think Tesla is well enough entrenched they won't be able to knock Tesla off its perch in the top end unless they do something even more advanced than Tesla. Most of the other automakers aren't prepared for what's coming. GM and Nissan-Renault are well along experimenting with EVs, but neither has the capability to build them in large quantities, nor have they built anything that would sway many of their ICE customers away from ICE and into EVs. The Leaf, Zoe, Bolt, and Ampera are still catering to the EV ghetto.

Tesla has spoiled me. I don't buy cars very often, I had my Buick 24 years, but I would buy again. When an EV is done right, ICEs are just inferior most of the time and in most ways.

I'll bite. How did they trick you?

Me; poorer guy who loves Tesla. Shows up March 31 promptly drop $1G on model 3 reservation. I owned an awesome Mazda 6 that I pampered since 2010. Saving for my Tesla.

Got a call that many perks I care about will go away. Perks like SC was one. I ordered a car for $71k. Paused delivery 4 days because at fist my rep said that as long as I ordered befire a November ...date I can't remember, I'ld be fine. Then that became I must take delivery before December 31st.

My original order wouldn't make it. Had to cancel order and take a new demo for $14k more which matched my basic config but was fully loaded.

I'm cool. With that, I accept my error for delaying order and I LOVE my car. It's an awesome machine. I have unlimited SC because I bit the bullet and paid the price....

now every tesla had Unlimited SC. I could have waited for my order and saved $14k. Or better yet, drive my Mazda for which they gave me wholesale, until my 3 was ready...saved $44k.

Agree?

What did Tesla do to trick you? Is the car not what they said it was?

No model S is exactly what it is supposed to be but in their push to sell cars last December , they did a bait and switch. Tesla Said perks would go away. Poor people like me would be better off waiting for the 3 I ordered but i wanted the unlimited SC. So I i ponied up a lot of $G to keep those perks and again I Absolutely love the S...but now everyone has the perks...i could have waited....my Mazda was also perfect. My 3 is on its way.

Hey @Skipdd what kind of lease do you have? Looks like it was a long one if it is beyond the warranty period.
Am also struggling to keep the mileage down, as I am on a 36 months, 10k miles/year lease. Really wondering how I will deal with that, and my Model 3 reservation.

OP: My Model S is the best car I've ever had, am totally re-uping. I have a Model 3 reservation, and my current lease on the S expires in September 2018. One-car family.

It is a 36 mo lease with 15k miles/yr. if you think of some other ways to deal with mileage, I'm interested:). I think I will be able to make it to Sept before I swap out (fewer remaining months is better of course). Still not ready to buy, maybe next time.

It is a 36 mo lease with 15k miles/yr. if you think of some other ways to deal with mileage, I'm interested:). I think I will be able to make it to Sept before I swap out (fewer remaining months is better of course). Still not ready to buy, maybe next time.
Oh, so you plan to break the lease before you blow the mileage cap? Thus saving you money in the end?
Feel free to answer privately, don't want to hijack the thread.

I answered the survey question "Absolutely I will buy," but a better answer is that there's a 99% chance that, barring disasters, I will buy another Tesla. I've been driving my Roadster for six years and I love it. But I want the better safety features the model 3 will have, so I've reserved one, and will make a final decision after I get a chance to test drive it. It's too big a car for me, and that could change my mind. But when FSD comes out, then there's no question at all that I will buy a Tesla with that (if I don't already have one that gets an over-the-air update for FSD).

After my Roadster I'm a total and unabashed Tesla fanboy. (I also own some Tesla stock and some Tesla/SolarCity solar bonds.)