Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will you go 100% electric in the next 5 years?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bonnie

I play a nice person on twitter.
Feb 6, 2011
Columbia River Gorge
After spending a year driving my Roadster, range anxiety has become a non-issue. With the introduction of the Model S and Model X and watching the growing infrastructure, I realized I didn't need an ICE vehicle in my life. When I take delivery of my Model X, I'll sell my Prius and be 100% electric. On the rare occasion where I might need an ICE, I'll rent.

How many of you are getting rid of your ICE?

I'm thinking about it. I really has more to do with parking situation than anything. I only have room to park 2 cars at the moment so I'd either have to get rid of the Roadster or the Jetta TDI.....tough decision I know.

It depends on if we have a 400 mile model x in 5 years. We take longer trips in our q5, which the X is set to replace. The model S will replace our A6 once the lease is up.

I guess that just leaves the R8, so in that regards, it depends on when Roadster 3.0 comes to market and what I think of the performance and looks (range isn't a huge issue in a sports car).

I could see my household being 33%. We currently have three cars. I plan on replacing my mustang with a Model S (probably will be sometime in mid 2013, depending on where the 40KW models fall in the reservation production run. My wife's grand am is going to need to be replaced before then, but we are kind of stuck on this one, as there is not an EV option on the market that will fit her needs (the volt is to small, the leaf is to small and does not have enough range in winter with the heater on to make her round trip commute) We cannot afford 2 Model S's (we can barely afford 1), so we will probably be forced to buy one last ICE for her (she is currently leaning on the honda CRV) The model X would be perfect for her, but buying that would mean that my Model S does not get purchased, and the wait is to long, as her car needs to be replaced in the next 12 months. I will still have my old trail blazer, and will likely keep that as a vehicle that does not get driven much, for the 4-5 time a year I go camping and need a real off road vehicle.

If an affordable EV solution that has enough range to always make her 60 mile round trip commute, and that has room for the Me, the wife, the baby, the stroller, and the dog comes out in the next 12 months, we will be 66% electric when my Model S is delivered. I am hoping that I can hold onto the trail blazer long enough for a truly off-road capable EV to come out to replace it. If I could buy EV's to meet all of my family's needs, I would drop the gas altogether in a heartbeat.

In 5 years I hope so. I seriously considered being car-free about 5 years ago. My work was <2 miles away but, sadly my work 'requires' me to drive 40-50 miles one-way at a whack to visit manufacturing sites. I had experience commuting 13miles one way via bicycle.Now I ended up purchasing a house about 7 miles away from where I lived, and my work moved ~20 miles away from where it was. I hope to have my Model S and have that convince my then-Wife that electric cars are awesome. She could drive a Leaf 364 days a year and have plenty of reserve range, but still thinks she needs "400 miles" of range. I think she will try to steal the Model S after about 6 months of ownership, and might be successful after a year and a half. If I can swing it I will probably try to get another one, it may be a Leaf or equivalent for her, or a big battery Tesla for me.

That or if I can get a business of my own off the ground and stable, I may drop down to a single Model S, family.

Can't do it. I've had my roadster for two years and am 100% over range anxiety, but we still do family trips beyond the reasonable range of an EV. Renting is still an option for the trips, but I'd rather not rent every other weekend. Until quick recharge infrastructure is ubiquitous, we'll probably stick with 1 EV and 1 gasser .... although my wife's trying to convince me to trade in the roadster for a model-S.

Within 5 years, definitely and am trying to convince other people also
If there was an extended mile EV van, I could say everyone in my immediate family would go all electric (minus my father''s race car, but he hasn't driven it in 2 years, so it's more of a collectors item now)

For me it is not an option. I wont buy an other car until its electric. Environmental issues are 1st of many reasons... and here with electricity at 0,0777 $/kWh (from 98,5% hydroelectricity) when gas cost +- 5,10$ gallons...its a smart $$$ move. But until i finish my study and the Blue Star is release, I'll have to keep my Civic coupe 5MT 06. My girlfriend also planed to buy the model S as it first car in the next years!!

Whether used cars when I was younger or showroom new later in life, I have historically driven my cars into the ground. Turns out that is pretty good for the environment from a planet resources perspective. Probably still better than selling and buying a less (or non) polluting EV. So yes, we will go all electric but likely when our current gassers go teets up.

OTOH
This might all change again when someone shows me something that I did not know could exist and that I can't live without. Who knew I needed a smart phone, Tivo or a Roadster?

We kind-of already have gone all-electric. My wife and I both drive BEVs; we also own a PHEV, but my son has it at college so it's not available for us to drive. I'm hoping once he graduates (this year) and gets a job (I hope that's this year too!) he'll buy the PHEV.

Going all-electric would be a lot easier if the Model S supported the dozens of CHAdeMO chargers that will be installed in WA, OR and major cities in CA before the S is available. But it sounds (?) like they won't, so the S won't be a good road trip car until Tesla builds out Superchargers, or the SAE comes up with a standard, gets people to build chargers, and figures out how to find money and locations for their chargers. It's hard to count on a timeframe for either of those, or even to be certain that they will happen at all. I may have to keep the PHEV rather than replacing it with a Model S. Sigh.

Last edited:
I believe for me this will depend on the ability of Tesla to deploy it's supercharger network, and it's availability. If I need to drive more than 300 miles in a day, and I find that I would be 5th in line to supercharge in the middle of the day, then I will likely have to keep at least 1 gasser to make these trips. So my answer is " It depends" .....

Additionally I will likley keep an older pickup truck for hauling and other tasks.

I will be in two years max. Since our family is just starting out and we've never taken long road trips before, it is easy to live within the constraints of the car. The only reason we haven't yet is because I still live 180 mile from my parents. The 230 mile S will take care of that since there is already an HPC installed 120 miles away on the route and there is approval for the super charger.

for us, it comes down to the charging network. Right now, we still do trips that are outside of the range of the Model S. And up and down the east coast, we will surely lag California in infrastructure for some time. Will there be battery/infrastructure such that i can drive from DC to Charlotte without major stops for charging within 5 years? How about to Charleston SC? If so, then i'd love to replace my wife's car with an EV (maybe bluestar!) at that point. But it's wait and see for now.