Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wind noise and early Model 3 VIN's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As many of you know Consumer Reports had some input on the ride quality and wind noise in the Model 3. I have an early vin (17xx) and they were spot on with the ride quality. Our car had a firmer ride than many sports cars. While this did make it more fun around the corners, my wife was not a fan. Tesla kindly retrofitted the suspension last week. Now its great. So when I was talking to my wife about the improvement, she mentioned that there is a lot of wind noise... She never saw the CR review. I took it for a for drive at freeway speeds and I think she is onto something. There is much more noise than the my model S. I would say there is more noise than most cars.

In a tweet EM mentioned that the windshield had undergone improvements to reduce wind noise. Does anyone know what those are? Has anyone succeeded in convincing Tesla to retrofit a windscreen on an early Model 3? Its hard for me to imagine a different piece of glass would solve the problem.

By the way they also retrofitted the window power motors in the driver's and front passenger sides. This was due to possible water ingress. My UMC was also traded out for a new on for unclear/warranty reasons. If you have an early build they may also need to do this with your car.

Is there a know VIN cutoff or a visual difference between the "loud" windshields and the quiet ones? My VIN is low 7000s. I dont think my car is usually that loud, but sometimes I second guess that.

I was really surprised to see the gap around the glass roof. Besides wind, wouldn't that collect dirt and other bits of cruft over time, and be hard to clean (need toothbrush)?

Or, is that kind of the plan? Self fixing, like the self-heming pants that youngsters wear.

• Funny
Reactions: ℬête Noire
I have a cracked windshield VIN #20xx due to a rock hitting under the wiper and I didn't see it. It's spread quite a bit now so I'll need to replace it soon. When I had mobile service done to the car recently I asked the Tesla mechanic about the windshield and was told it has changed shape to reduce the noise.

If someone has a suggestion as to which application to download to test interior noise, I can certainly do that before I get the windshield changed out to compare the differences between the same roads and different speeds. I pretty much only notice the noise during faster freeway speeds.