Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wind noise in full glass roof new Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have any recommendations on a high end shop in the Bay Area to take my car into about this issue? Maybe a shop that specializes in auto glass / auto body work that can do a better job than Tesla's service center? I've already taken my car on 4 separate occasions to the SC and they always say they've fixed it, but it's never actually addressed.

I think I may have found the source of my problem. I took my car through a touchless car wash today and noticed that water was leaking through the little triangle window on the driver side.

I also included some pictures. At least now I can have the SC focus in this area. Hopefully it'll finally resolve the issue.

Attachments

• 5D5A5AB4-3BE5-42E7-9607-BCA17FAC79D8.jpeg
    5D5A5AB4-3BE5-42E7-9607-BCA17FAC79D8.jpeg
    342.5 KB · Views: 116
  • B207CA91-59CF-4BB3-9FA0-B77E2FBCF6B4.jpeg
    B207CA91-59CF-4BB3-9FA0-B77E2FBCF6B4.jpeg
    321.8 KB · Views: 85
I took my car through a touchless car wash today and noticed that water was leaking through the little triangle window on the driver side.

The "little triangle window" has been an "issue" on all three Model S-es I have owned. I have never had water leak through but all of them have leaked air - most noticeable when it's very cold outside.

Just my personal observation - I believe you may be on the right track here.

Mike

Update: I took my car to another SC instead (Sunnyvale) to see if they might have a different opinion. This SC determined that my windshield was not to spec and the hypothesis was that was the cause of the wind noise. They also adjusted the little triangle window to resolve the water leak.

They replaced the windshield and I do notice a big improvement in overall wind noise. You still do hear some but it's significantly less. I think this is the reason why the other work that was previously done (trying the tubing in the gap between the windshield and glass roof, adjusting my door handles, adjusting the driver side window) didn't make much of a difference.

Here's the invoice order from the service center:

Concern: Customer: Wind noise coming from the driver's side and is noticeable when driving
65+ mph

Pay Type: Warranty
Corrections: Windshield Assembly
Confirmed customers concern, technician confirmed windshield was not installed with
factory specified fitment. Recommend replacing windshield assembly. Replaced
windshield, verified factory specified fitment post installation. Road tested vehicle and
verified no abnormal wind noise.

I might try the tubing solution now to see if that eliminates the small amount of wind noise I have remaining, but like I said it's much better and sounds normal.

I haven't verified the water leak issue but they said they tested it and didn't see any evidence of a leak after the fix.

• Informative
Reactions: Joe F
So...over a year later and still no solution other than “replace the windshield”?? I’ve used the Trim-Lok tubing and while it was very effective, it likes to come out. This car is over six figures. I don’t think I need to say any more.
I agree with your frustration. That said, here is how I solved the problem of keeping the Trim-Lok tubing in place:
3M (38582) 1/4" x 5' Exterior Attachment Tape https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JR4D70K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_ulUWAbR1TVR76

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Interesting. Do you put that down in the gap or over the top of the trim-lok?
I put the 3M tape into the bottom of the gap between the top of the windshield and the leading edge of the glass roof, then inserted the Trim-Lok. The double stick tape holds the Trim-Lok scurely in place. When I first installed the Trim-Lok without double stick tape,it kept coming out at highway speeds. The 3M tape stopped that from happening. As others have said, we absolutely should not have to create home-grown solutions like this. But I could not stand the noise and had to do something. I’ll ask the service center for a permanent solution next visit. The closest one is a 3 hr drive so it’s a hassle to take the car in.

Reactions: Raven
I put the 3M tape into the bottom of the gap between the top of the windshield and the leading edge of the glass roof, then inserted the Trim-Lok. The double stick tape holds the Trim-Lok scurely in place. When I first installed the Trim-Lok without double stick tape,it kept coming out at highway speeds. The 3M tape stopped that from happening. As others have said, we absolutely should not have to create home-grown solutions like this. But I could not stand the noise and had to do something. I’ll ask the service center for a permanent solution next visit. The closest one is a 3 hr drive so it’s a hassle to take the car in.

Thanks. I “lubed” the trim-lok tube with clear silicone and it works well...until I was it. I’ll be getting the 3M tape I think.

Thanks, I try the windshield wipers and see in that makes a difference.

I got my car back yesterday. The SC made adjustments to the rear door handle (apparently a seal was loose). They also added extra insulation on the driver's side of the windshield. Unfortunately it doesn't make a difference.

I've pretty much resigned to dealing with the wind noise at high speeds now

I've gone through the same thing.. Same wind noise at 60mph+ or lower if its windy out. I've also taped up everything and installed that rubber tubing and nothing seems to help. I havent bothered taking it in because it doesnt seem fixable.