Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wind noise on drivers door on model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

kelvin 660

White SR+ with LFP battery
Aug 21, 2020
Stonehouse
I've got an annoying wind noise (faf.faf.faf) coming from the drivers door. I've spent weeks trying to track it down but haven't found a solution.

The wind noise was only noticeable over 50-60 mph and gets louder the faster you drive. The wind isn't creating a draft and isn't so loud as to make me feel the door rubbers are leaking air. But something is causing a disturbance particularly at speed with cross winds. I have tried putting PVC tape over all the gaps to no avail.

The weird thing is, if I moved my head forward it seemed to go away and if I leaned my head right back, it also goes away. The only time I hear this wind noise was when sitting in the normal driving position. It's most noticeable when driving on smooth motorway tarmac but is drowned out when driving on older motorway tarmac.

Is this within normal tolerance for a model 3? Have you found a solution or did the SC found a solution?

There is a limited amount of adjustment that can be made, but it can be over adjusted and make matters worse.

We had the problem that coincided with head lining being replaced. Unfortunately over Covid so Tesla road testing was minimal. We reported it at a follow up visit, where they replaced the door seals, but again no road test otherwise they would have noticed that the problem had not been resolved.

I ended up tagging it on to a ranger visit so could discuss with him and see what was involved. Even though it was literally a 5-10 minute job, I've worked on cars a lot before but wouldn't have wanted to undertake this myself if there was an alternative on getting someone else to do it - it involved pulling the door panel with more force than I would have felt comfortable with. Various other parts needed to be disassembled - easy if you have done it before.

The ranger adjustment made a difference but the noise is still there although its better than it was but not as quiet as when we first got the car.

I’ve just dropped mine of at the Stockport SC for several things including wind noise from the passenger door.

A few weeks ago whilst washing the car, I noticed a few drops of water inside the passenger window. I noticed that the top corner of the front passenger window where it meets the rear passenger window doesn’t sit against the door seals and there was a noticeable gap I could get my finger into, and I have big fat fingers. The drivers door is fine with no gap, no wind noise and no water inside the window when cleaning it.

However, it’s a Tesla and they have many different ways to generate wind noise.

• Funny
Reactions: Jez_GB
I’ve just dropped mine of at the Stockport SC for several things including wind noise from the passenger door.

A few weeks ago whilst washing the car, I noticed a few drops of water inside the passenger window. I noticed that the top corner of the front passenger window where it meets the rear passenger window doesn’t sit against the door seals and there was a noticeable gap I could get my finger into, and I have big fat fingers. The drivers door is fine with no gap, no wind noise and no water inside the window when cleaning it.

However, it’s a Tesla and they have many different ways to generate wind noise.
The wind noise is gone now, however on the way home it’s been replaced with a rattle instead. I think it’s the door, but a lot of the passenger seat was also replaced today.

I’ll have a look in daylight tomorrow to see if I can see anything loose like a panel. It’s got to go back in again as some of the other seat issues weren’t fixed.

I've noticed wind noise has increased recently on mine (drivers side). WHen I first got the car 15 months ago, I could hear it over 50-60 mph. I 'filled the gaps' in the chrome strip and also where the black triangle wasn't fully flush, which really did seem to reduce it noticeably. Now it's back again, seal around door seems tight, so I don't know what's changed.

Same issue for me. I’ve been using Gumi Pledge which seems to help. So I can only presume the seal isn’t holding the window that well, once it dries off it’s back to a rattle / wind noise. Had the same problems when I had a mini.
Ah, that may explain why my wind noise has returned. I too used GumiPfledge, but haven't re applied it for about 6-8 months. I'm off to get it and put some on.

I've been doing more checking and have found that putting a £10 note between the glass and door seal that there is very little friction compared to the passenger side. See video with passenger side shown first, followed by drivers side.
Do you think this could be the source of the wind noise problem?

I've been doing more checking and have found that putting a £10 note between the glass and door seal that there is very little friction compared to the passenger side. See video with passenger side shown first, followed by drivers side.
Do you think this could be the source of the wind noise problem?
Adjusting glass pressure on the seal is fairly easy.
May be worth a try?

When we had our drivers door window adjusted by the ranger he warned us that it could make matters worse. It didn't, but it didn't solve the problem either - I suspect its one of those jobs thats going to need constant tweaking until you get it just right.

Interesting that the ranger seemed to us a different procedure than the video. I didn't notice him removing the speaker (its clear in the video it needs to be though) and removing the door card required quite a bit of force. He certainly knew what he was doing though.

Reactions: exlatccatsa
Interesting that the ranger seemed to us a different procedure than the video. I didn't notice him removing the speaker (its clear in the video it needs to be though) and removing the door card required quite a bit of force. He certainly knew what he was doing though.
YouTube demonstrations like this are invariably done after they’ve dealt with the challenging stuck bits that you are going to potentially break by applying too much force in the wrong place! When I do such jobs myself they never go quite as smoothly as the demo. Despite this these kind of YT videos are massively helpful.

Reactions: exlatccatsa
I've got an annoying wind noise (faf.faf.faf) coming from the drivers door. I've spent weeks trying to track it down but haven't found a solution.

The wind noise was only noticeable over 50-60 mph and gets louder the faster you drive. The wind isn't creating a draft and isn't so loud as to make me feel the door rubbers are leaking air. But something is causing a disturbance particularly at speed with cross winds. I have tried putting PVC tape over all the gaps to no avail.

The weird thing is, if I moved my head forward it seemed to go away and if I leaned my head right back, it also goes away. The only time I hear this wind noise was when sitting in the normal driving position. It's most noticeable when driving on smooth motorway tarmac but is drowned out when driving on older motorway tarmac.

Is this within normal tolerance for a model 3? Have you found a solution or did the SC found a solution?
I have this exact issue with my new 2022 Model 3 long range, purchased one week ago. I noticed the wind noise on driver's side near my head as soon as I approached 50 mph. I can't figure out what is causing it. Did you resolve this with Tesla? I did not have this issue with my 2018 standard range Tesla Model 3.

Did you resolve this with Tesla?

Tesla changed the door seal on the RH door that helped a bit but never got rid of it... I would check the RH window to seal pressure using a five pound note an check that it grips the same as the RH seal. If it's a bit loose that can cause wind noise and Tesla SC can adjust the window to make a better seal...

PS I upgraded my car to a new SR+ and that doesn't have this problem at any legal speed...