Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wind Noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree. My 3 was delivered in the 3rd week of May and it appears to have something that looks like weather stripping in the channels in front of/behind the front piece of glass. There's far less sound at 70-80mph compared to my Prius Plug-in and the A3 hatchback my wife had a couple years ago.

My guess is the thin seals allows any water trapped in the channels to expand without cracking the glass, and it also prevents too much air from entering the channels and causing pressure drag, which can be noisy.

If anything, the majority of sound comes from the rear of the car near the trunk, which I'm relatively certain is pressure drag.

Can you post a picture of the weather stripping?

Reactions: MacGreiner
I’ve had my TM3 for several days now. I am coming from a Prius and a 4Runner, so maybe my experience isn’t quite up to par with others here. With that said, I have no idea what all the fuss is about with cabin noise. I haven’t once thought that the ride was noisy. Maybe it’s because I’m normally enjoying music or podcasts, and it masks the road noise? Yes, I don’t think I’m completely isolated from outside, but I also don’t expect that, just as I want to feel the road a bit.

I'm disappointed to hear that even with later builds noise is still an issue despite Elon tweeting that its "fixed."

So I guess its safe to assume that the cabin noise in a Model 3 is higher than that of its ICE competition, a BMW 3 Series, Mercedes C Class, or Audi A4... darn.

Does the Model 3's noise bother you a lot? Or does the overall experience of driving the Model 3 make up for the unusual noise?

As I mentioned earlier on this thread, the noise was the first "surprise" I and my friends experienced when I rented a December built Model 3 on Turo. We got used to it... but I expected it to be quieter.

I'm still wavering on whether to pull through with my Model 3. Loved the Dec built Model 3 that I rented on Turo but I noticed many issues with the seals being loose, cracked, and peeling as well as smaller quality issues. I WANT the Model 3... but the more I read about certain issues like Noise the more I cant get stop looking at a CPO from the competition :( .
Stick to the car you`re driving for another 2 years. Tesla should have figured out how to do QA in mass production by then and the competitions EVs will also be available as alternatives.

I´m not a 0-60 junkie, a comfortable quiet smooth ride is what I interpret as "premium".
If I bought an EV that`s similarly priced to my V6 Mercedes and it was louder than the ICE....well, I would be seriously pissed.

Reactions: RBowen
First time hearing wind noise in my March 2018 Tesla Model 3 (VIN around 9000) in 7000 miles

VERY windy that day, but not the most wind I have been in. I think it's like blowing on a coke bottle, at a certain angle you can hear it.

I tried to upload a pic of my windshield's label, an error occurred, no idea what. But it is identical to the two pics others have uploaded

-Randy

• Informative
Reactions: alseTrick
First time hearing wind noise in my March 2018 Tesla Model 3 (VIN around 9000) in 7000 miles

VERY windy that day, but not the most wind I have been in. I think it's like blowing on a coke bottle, at a certain angle you can hear it.

I tried to upload a pic of my windshield's label, an error occurred, no idea what. But it is identical to the two pics others have uploaded

-Randy

-Randy

Ah, it still seems pretty significant.

Overall, in your experience is the cabin noise something that would have turned you off from purchasing the Model 3 if you had known about it before purchasing? Or is the overall experience of the car good enough to tolerate the cabin noise?

Sad to see that cabin noise is still significant despite Elon saying it was fixed :( .

• Funny
Reactions: juanmedina
Wind noise isn't an issue for me with a recent build Model 3 with this kit installed:
https://www.rpmtesla.com/product-page/model-3-windshield-wind-noise-reduction-kit

I had previously noticed (and reported) wind noise concerns when I borrowed a friend's early build car. It was much louder at highway speeds in crosswinds.

Tire noise (with 18" Aero) is somewhat annoying at highway speeds. I am hoping to find quieter tires when the originals wear out.

Or is the overall experience of the car good enough to tolerate the cabin noise?

Sad to see that cabin noise is still significant despite Elon saying it was fixed :( .

How are you getting that from my video titled FIRST TIME HEARING WIND NOISE? and
Where did you hear Elon say they had fixed wind noise?

The only quote I have heard is that later cars have greatly reduced noise. The cabin to me is Cadillac quality quiet, it's always shocking when I open a window. Had a plane fly over me at about 50 meet on the drive home today and didn't hear it. Will be interested to hear people's success in quieting the road noise.

-Randy

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
The only quote I have heard is that later cars have greatly reduced noise. The cabin to me is Cadillac quality quiet, it's always shocking when I open a window. Had a plane fly over me at about 50 meet on the drive home today and didn't hear it. Will be interested to hear people's success in quieting the road noise.

-Randy

My car 205XX VIN built late April. Absolutely minimal wind and road noise. With the sound system on low volume I only perceive the music at highway speeds. It's like a rolling living room. My wife falls asleep in the passenger seat all the time in the Model 3. I did notice it has Conti-Silent tire with the sound deadening foam. I wondered if they changed to these on the later builds.

Friends have commented as well how quiet it is. You can have a conversation with your inside voice.

I downloaded a sound meter to my iPhone and I am going to compare to my BMW and eGolf on the same road at speed.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: DR61
How are you getting that from my video titled FIRST TIME HEARING WIND NOISE? and
Where did you hear Elon say they had fixed wind noise?

-Randy

He’s tweeted it a few times, but most recently in response to the Consumer Reports article that noted it as one of their main complaints. Elon Musk on Twitter

To me, reduced means “fixed.”

Regarding how I interepreted your video, I wasn’t sure whether it being your first time hearing it was good or bad — I saw it as bad. But that’s why I asked, is it bothering you or not? I’m biased as the Model 3 I rented was loud; in fact most of my passengers that weekend commented negatively about it without being prompted.

However, it was a Model 3 built in December. So, I am genuinely pleased if you say that cabin noise has been greatly improved. I based my comment about it been “sad” to see that cabin noise is still significant off of the many people posting on this thread that it’s still bothering them. Some even recommending the RPM Tesla wind kit on cars produced in April. And off of my experience renting the car on Turo.

So I guess it’s subjective to each driver, but from your video it seemed loud compared to other EVs iv driven for extended periods.

But if it really is improved, then great. Cabin noise and seals that were already cracked and peeling in multiple spots on the doors were my only gripes about my Model 3 rental experience.

-Randy

Whoa. That wind noise is unacceptable. Way worse than i was expecting to hear. That's not something anyone should have to "get used to".

Whoa. That wind noise is unacceptable. Way worse than i was expecting to hear. That's not something anyone should have to "get used to".

I’m assuming part of the noise intensity is due to the cell phones microphone’s distortion since Randy is saying his experience is that it’s actually very quiet.

To me it also sounded very loud, and I drive a convertible soft top BMW from 2004....

But hopefully we’re wrong :).

Ah, interesting. So it isn't just a Continental thing...
Michelin Acoustic Technology

The good news is that I have tires with the Michelin Acoustic reduction technology.
The bad news is that I still hear a lot of tire noise... :(

acoustic1.jpg

When I look in my wheel well over the front tire, I can see a big hole in the back with what looks like daylight shining through.
Is that letting tire noise back towards the cabin?
I wonder what it is for... air pressure equalization?
It seems like there ought to more covering / insulation around the wheel well since the tire can spin out all kinds of mud/dirt/rocks/etc.
tire-hole.png

I think a lot of cars have more all encompassing wheel well liners.

Last edited: