Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wind Noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems like there ought to more covering / insulation around the wheel well since the tire can spin out all kinds of mud/dirt/rocks/etc.
And what is the purpose of this piece of plastic? Is it the mount point for the plastic which holds the mount points for the cover.
AD40C4D6-59A7-4C80-BDC6-40CD21C95751.jpeg

For reference here is a shot with the frunk open and battery access cover removed with a pipe cleaner next to that piece of plastic and running through a cover mount point.
470244EF-566E-4462-AC8F-156DD4F3652B.jpeg

My guess is drag reduction. Part of the effort to get CD down to 0.23 and range high.

I looked at this while washing the car today. I thought it was just a drain from the windshield area. You are right the bottom area of the windshield is a high pressure area, the wheel wells are low pressure so this could be a way to improve the aerodynamics by trying to equalize the pressure differential. I think the small scoops in the front bumper sides do the same, divert air from a high pressure area to the wheel wells which are low pressure.

I did some unscientific measurements on sound levels using my phone today comparing my eGolf with the Model 3. Same road, same speed (75MPH) for about 1 minute. The Model 3 average was 3 dB less than the average in the eGolf. I was just trying to see if my perception matched reality. Pretty happy with the Model 3 sound levels. Definitely quieter than any car I have ever owned.

Later build Model 3, 225xx VIN.

While I do hear some wind noise, I suspect that it is more noticeable because the cabin is fairly quiet. Having said that, I hear most noise from road noise / tires (18s for me), followed by the fan. The fan isn't particularly bad, but it is not silent. I think trying to make quiet cabins on EVs is actually harder because you hear everything!

Yeah, Nissan made a point that they designed special wiper motors for the LEAF because the cabin was so quiet that people noticed them more.

In Model 3, my main noise complaints are:
#1: Tire noise
#2: Interior dash fan noise when it is on the higher flow settings

Outside wind noise (apparently over the windshield seals) used to be a concern with an early build car I drove, but my newer one is OK in that regard.

The tire and dash fan noises are not terrible, but the car is otherwise very quiet, and the stereo so nice that one wants it to be even more quiet.

I've had issues uploading images as well but linking works fine.

Just wanted to chime in that the wind noise starting around 60 mph is horrible. I noticed the glass roof pieces stick up above the windshield and the rear windows don't appear to be sealing well. I'm going to request these items get checked out.
Update on my wind noise. A friend of mine rode in the rear passenger seat and noticed a lot of noice coming from around the window. When I took my car to my local SC they noticed the gasket didn't look right and replaced it. The wind noise decreased significantly.

Has anyone installed the RPM Tesla Model 3 Windshield Wind Noise Reduction Kit and if so did it lower the wind noise? The leading edge of the roof and the channel it creates between it and the windshield sure looks like a wind noise maker.

Update on my wind noise. A friend of mine rode in the rear passenger seat and noticed a lot of noice coming from around the window. When I took my car to my local SC they noticed the gasket didn't look right and replaced it. The wind noise decreased significantly.

Has anyone installed the RPM Tesla Model 3 Windshield Wind Noise Reduction Kit and if so did it lower the wind noise? The leading edge of the roof and the channel it creates between it and the windshield sure looks like a wind noise maker.
What did they say didnt look right about the gasket? When I went to the SC they went with me for a test drive and said the wind noise was normal. But I still feel the buffeting at above 70kph is annoying and probably due to the gaps in the glass roof and/or the gasket you had replaced. I told them I hear it coming from the windows and roof but they said its not worth investigating. :(

Can

can you take a pic?? I’ve noticed the road noise but I also noticed a piece of strip that does not sit flush on the driver side windshield and wondering if that could be a cause? I have also ordered the RPM rubber seal to improve the noise.

In my never ending quest to minimize win turbulence noise above 50 to 60 miles an hour that sounds like it’s behind the speaker on the door or in the A pillar I found another place to make a small improvement . Keep in mind this is small stuff. Service applied new mirror appliqués after delivery and that helped quite a bit, I found a small channel in the chrome trim where air could go https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/2736803/ , and the HVAC vent is much louder than this noise.
There is a flexible thick plastic piece that wraps around the forward upper portion of the front doors but it creates channels were air can be forced. Covering these areas with tape decreased the volume of the noise but did not fully eliminate it.
042FFF7B-7B8D-47A7-B91C-9C595A1636B0.jpeg