Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wind Noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So confirmation today via elon tweet the windshield was updated. Anybody able to compare an older 3 to a newer one and see the difference?

I had borrowed a friend's 2017 for a whole week before picking up my 2018 at the start of May.
Wind noise was noticeably improved. I also just installed an aftermarket wind noise reduction kit (tubing that fills the gaps between glass panes) and it is reduced even more to the point that is seems good to me now.

So, I am left hearing tire noise at highway speeds, depending on the pavement quality. When the original tires wear out I will look into other options to see if anyone finds a quieter suitable replacement tire.

My friend's 2017 also had the stiffer springs, and rode rougher, but drove a bit more sporty. I love sporty handling, but I am appreciating the extra comfort I have with the softer springs.

• Informative
Reactions: JDea
Care to compare early build vs late build windshield markings?

Early May delivery :
IMG_20180601_091054.jpg

Just had my driver's side small corner (triangular) glass and seal replaced in an effort to reduce wind noise. 85dB inside the cabin is no fun - especially when it presents itself with new tires and across difference road surfaces. March 2017 vintage chariot, ~31,000 miles later.

Will make a note to collect an image of any markings visible as part of the new glass.

I've had issues uploading images as well but linking works fine.

Just wanted to chime in that the wind noise starting around 60 mph is horrible. I noticed the glass roof pieces stick up above the windshield and the rear windows don't appear to be sealing well. I'm going to request these items get checked out.

img_e4470-jpg.4235

Just wanted to chime in that the wind noise starting around 60 mph is horrible. I noticed the glass roof pieces stick up above the windshield and the rear windows don't appear to be sealing well. I'm going to request these items get checked out.

img_e4470-jpg.4235
For a VIN of 24K that is disappointing and unacceptable. You need to make the glass roof and windows well aligned. My car has the same wind noise as S or any other car of that category. Not super quiet but nothing to complain about. Road noise is the one that annoys me a bit, but not much after I decreased the pressure to 40 (from 45).

Why are many of the images jacked up on this site?

img_e4470-jpg.4235

Linking to a site that requires permission to view only works for those who are logged into that site. For example, in this thread, for me, Carrerra's image links to trackmustangsonline.com are not viewable.

The usual suggestion for forums is to either upload to the same site, or link to a host that allows hotlinking (e.g. imgur, photobucket...)

Reactions: israndy
Linking to a site that requires permission to view only works for those who are logged into that site. For example, in this thread, for me, Carrerra's image links to trackmustangsonline.com are not viewable.

The usual suggestion for forums is to either upload to the same site, or link to a host that allows hotlinking (e.g. imgur, photobucket...)
Hmmm. I own that forum, TMO, and you do not need to have permissions to view images. I'm also using XenForo and members do not have issues uploading and viewing images so it must be settings on TMC. I'm on AWS if that matters. BTW Photobucket is a hot mess since they locked out long time members so stay far away. There's a Photobucket plugin for Chrome but that's a whole other subject.

Regarding the roof panel I'd post a photo but my car is getting window tint at the moment. More so on the passenger side but both sides stick up beyond the windshield which is an obvious noise maker. It's like the glass needs to be curved down more at the edges. It's amazing the different noises you hear between an EV and ICE. The EV is new to me but I have a lot of experience working on cars.

Hmmm. I own that forum, TMO, and you do not need to have permissions to view images. I'm also using XenForo and members do not have issues uploading and viewing images so it must be settings on TMC. I'm on AWS if that matters. BTW Photobucket is a hot mess since they locked out long time members so stay far away. There's a Photobucket plugin for Chrome but that's a whole other subject.

FYI:

OFJSGZS.png

37VVUMb.png

TD5IKYL.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: nvx1977 and TEG
I don't think it's so much the windshield glass, but the seals. Mine is in the shop right now but a friend just picked up and his seals are different. I'll take some pictures when I get my car back.
I agree. My 3 was delivered in the 3rd week of May and it appears to have something that looks like weather stripping in the channels in front of/behind the front piece of glass. There's far less sound at 70-80mph compared to my Prius Plug-in and the A3 hatchback my wife had a couple years ago.

My guess is the thin seals allows any water trapped in the channels to expand without cracking the glass, and it also prevents too much air from entering the channels and causing pressure drag, which can be noisy.

If anything, the majority of sound comes from the rear of the car near the trunk, which I'm relatively certain is pressure drag.

Reactions: Andrew
I'm just curious about how significant of a problem the cabin noise actually is.

Is anyone able to compare between a past/current ICE or EV car with a post-February shutdown Model 3?

I'm coming from driving a BMW 646 CI Soft Top Convertible (my normal daily driver got wrecked by a DUI Hit & Run driver in San Francisco 2 years ago... been waiting for the Model 3 since then) which I assume would likely have worse cabin noise since the roof top has little insulation. So i'm wondering whether it would be an improvement for me or if the noise is comparable haha.

I rented a December built Model 3 in March and I did comment on how louder it seemed compared to my friend's Chevy Bolt -- and my passengers commented that it was harder to hear conversations when sitting in the rear -- but we all got used to it fairly quickly.

I had a Hyundai Genesis and I have a Chevy Bolt. My 3 is an April build delivered April 26. It is louder than the Genesis and the Bolt, especially road noise. The best way to describe it is if you have ever driven a car where someone didn't quite close a rear door all the way and you can tell because of the road noise coming in the cabin. That is the way it sounds. Yes, you can get used to it after a while just as you can with a soft top. I once had a Porsche 911 convertible and even though it had an insulated double top it was still louder than the other car I had at the time. However, you kind of expect it with a porsche convertible and the engine fan noise was so loud and part of the beautiful sound the car made that you didn't care. The problem with an electric car is you want the silence that an electric car motor brings to the picture and obtrusive road noise spoils that.

• Informative
Reactions: RBowen and jsmay311
I had a Hyundai Genesis and I have a Chevy Bolt. My 3 is an April build delivered April 26. It is louder than the Genesis and the Bolt, especially road noise. The best way to describe it is if you have ever driven a car where someone didn't quite close a rear door all the way and you can tell because of the road noise coming in the cabin. That is the way it sounds. Yes, you can get used to it after a while just as you can with a soft top. I once had a Porsche 911 convertible and even though it had an insulated double top it was still louder than the other car I had at the time. However, you kind of expect it with a porsche convertible and the engine fan noise was so loud and part of the beautiful sound the car made that you didn't care. The problem with an electric car is you want the silence that an electric car motor brings to the picture and obtrusive road noise spoils that.

I'm disappointed to hear that even with later builds noise is still an issue despite Elon tweeting that its "fixed."

So I guess its safe to assume that the cabin noise in a Model 3 is higher than that of its ICE competition, a BMW 3 Series, Mercedes C Class, or Audi A4... darn.

Does the Model 3's noise bother you a lot? Or does the overall experience of driving the Model 3 make up for the unusual noise?

As I mentioned earlier on this thread, the noise was the first "surprise" I and my friends experienced when I rented a December built Model 3 on Turo. We got used to it... but I expected it to be quieter.

I'm still wavering on whether to pull through with my Model 3. Loved the Dec built Model 3 that I rented on Turo but I noticed many issues with the seals being loose, cracked, and peeling as well as smaller quality issues. I WANT the Model 3... but the more I read about certain issues like Noise the more I cant get stop looking at a CPO from the competition :( .