TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

wind reduction

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by dhu1, Apr 18, 2018.

1. dhu1

dhu1 Member

Anybody try this yet? Wondering if it makes a difference. Obviously RPM claims it does, but would love to hear from actual customers

RPM Tesla

• Like x 1
  2. bnsfengineer

bnsfengineer Member

I purchased and will install tomorrow and update

3. cab

cab Member

The Model S guys tried something similar (purchased weatherstripping from Amazon, etc.) when the "all glass roof" option was released on those cars. See page 2 of this thread:

Wind noise in full glass roof new Model S

Note that it worked for some and not others. I would not expect miracles. Tesla just doens't have this nailed down after X years...

4. amoney805

amoney805 Member

I haven't noticed excessive wind noise to begin with. Maybe its gotten better with later builds?

5. clmason

clmason Member

I bought it. Tried installing last night, unsuccessfully. The tube popped open as soon as it had a bit of tension on it. Then it would not stay put when I tried to install. Emailed last night saying the tube broke. Awaiting a response.

6. bnsfengineer

bnsfengineer Member

Mine did the same I just super glued it back together and going to try again.

7. bnsfengineer

bnsfengineer Member

I really didn't notice either until I drove on the freeway with the radio off. Always have music on at about level 5 and it doesn't bother me. Try driving at low speed with radio off and increase speed to about 50+ or so and see if you notice how it gets louder with speed. Look at the gap between the windshield and the glass panel and you will see the gap were talking about. My "S" has that same gap but almost not noticeable as far as wind noise. I assume that is the way the panels fit in for possible shifting as a buffer otherwise cracks or chips.

• Informative x 1
  8. cellogig

cellogig Model X..Model 3

#8 cellogig, Apr 25, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    Go to your local hardware store and buy a product call backer rod. Try 3/8 inch x 240 inch , 1/2 inch x 240 inches, or 5/8 inch x 240 inches. Cost of $3.48

Then look for a hand applicator squeegee. Or a kitchen spatula that does not have to much play in it to sink the backer rod into the gaps.

Also I read the link on the model s forum. The weather stripping they chose with the adhesive will not work. The adhesive in the sun heat and rain will eventually come off.

Backer rod does not have adhesion

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  9. dhu1

dhu1 Member

Has there been an improvement after the install?

10. wwu123

wwu123 Member

We're trying the RPM Tesla strip. Subjectively the wind noise seems reduced. The problem though is that it popped out of the channel within a day.

It's not hard to install, but getting the right amount of tension on each of the four sides to keep it in may take some iteration. The side gaps are wide so it's not really secured but just sitting in the channel. The front needs to be very taut to both get in and stay in, it seems, as the gap is pretty small.

Just re-installed so we'll test drive again.

11. EV-lutioin

EV-lutioin Active Member

Have you installed backer rod on a Model 3 to see if it works?

12. cellogig

#12 cellogig, Apr 25, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    No not yet.

I don’t really hear it or on occasion I do but then think of something else or turn up the radio.

I don’t have a decibel meter either.

I live near the coast and it can get windy here. Some days when the wind kicks up to 15-20 mph I can hear it. So I think my trial and error would be on the extreme end.

Also the stuff that is in that kit seems very similar to backer rod which I have used to around the house.
    Also backer rod comes in different sizes. Not sure if the kit is only one size.

13. cellogig

#13 cellogig, Apr 26, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    Ok so I am trying it.
    DB900FC3-22BE-4015-921F-42610A2B8582.jpeg

I also had screen spline lying around. I would go with this size in the picture. Make sure it is the circular kind. NOT the flat kind.

802A5EE4-3D3B-4160-97CA-7FFC71DB23A0.jpeg
    I had such a big gap I had to use the backer rod. The smallest backer rod they sell.

1B6FC0D6-3519-4EDF-A839-C2C6BD6FE8FF.jpeg

Here is the spline in the gaps

Also I can use this dental tool to pull up the screen spline to keep it flush with the frame

F1355958-AD5A-4E4E-AD33-3A355C127E47.jpeg

DC11E783-5D9E-4B8F-AA0C-779815D54E28.jpeg

This is a long view of the spline

14. RDaneel

RDaneel Member

SO? WTF? IT HAS BEEN 19 MINUTES AND YOU HAVEN'T POSTED A VIDEO REFLECTING YOUR WELL-REASONED ANALYSIS OF THIS TECHNIQUE!!!!!

Seriously, thanks for the pics and any impressions you can share.

• Funny x 3
  15. cellogig

Lol, my neighbor came by....

I am going to drive here soon. I was also thinking are these gaps really for rain/water drainage off the car?
    Like little gutters.

16. cellogig

So I drove around. Everything stayed in place. Nothing broke during the install . The screen spline 25 feet of it is plenty to do the job. Less then 5.00 dollars cost.

A deference...not sure. I hear wind noise more from the side mirrors over 50 mph.

As I stated before I turn the radio up. But understand if you are talking with someone on the phone. You hear wind noise.

• Helpful x 1
  17. bnsfengineer

bnsfengineer Member

Installed and no noticeable difference, still if the radio is off and fan is on speed 1 or off at 53 mph or higher its loud... really noticeable . Probably guessing some design flaw?

18. bnsfengineer

bnsfengineer Member

Thats what I thought mirrors could be the issue? I'm going to try and have the mirrors folded inward(not sure if possible) and see if it goes away.

19. wwu123

wwu123 Member

Update on the RPM Tesla solution, we've driven about 10 miles since yesterday mostly on surface roads, max speed probably less than 50 mph. The strip has stayed in place, but along the leading edge, it's become noticeably uneven in two places where it might be starting to pull itself out.

What might be happening here is that the leading edge has extreme turbulent flow where the windshield ends at the roof. The RPM Tesla strip is also under extreme tension in the front channel - both to become slim enough to get it in there, but also to stay in there - however, the tension may not be even across the channel, though we try to make it as even to the human eye as possible. Either the turbulent flow, or the uneven tension, is making parts of the strip get more suction force pulling it out. Hopefully its the uneven tension, as I think with a spudger tool I can work the strip back and forth until tension gets more even. If it's random turbulence, then eventually some part of the strip will always start to pull out.

The other materials folks are trying might be superior to the RPM Tesla material in this regard. The RPM Tesla material is a very pliant rubber-like tube, so more tension (i.e. pulling it) radically thins out its profile, allowing it to become loose in the channel. Still unclear yet whether the RPM Tesla material will be able to remain stable in place.

• Informative x 1
  20. cellogig

Taken from owners manual

You can fold the mirrors inward for parking in tight spaces by touching Controls > Quick Controls > Fold. The mirrors remain folded until your driving speed reaches 31 mph (50 km/h), or until you touch Fold again to unfold the mirrors.

Note: You cannot fold a mirror if your driving speed exceeds 31 mph (50 km/h).

Sorry was trying to figure it out also

• Informative x 1