Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

wind reduction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
to my untrained very poor ears, 3 is just the same S when it comes to noise. Phone quality through bluetooth is awesome.
Ok buddy enlighten me? Numbers?

Well, my numbers are significantly higher.
That is without Aeros and no materials to reduce wind noise.
Not able to do more testing today.
What is your approach using the decibel meter?

Anybody try this yet? Wondering if it makes a difference. Obviously RPM claims it does, but would love to hear from actual customers

RPM Tesla
I bought the RPM product and actually had Mark (the guy in all the videos) install it. He's a total car guy and uses all of his products on his Model 3 and model S cars. I don't notice much noise interference while driving and the product has never popped out of the channel.

• Informative
Reactions: cellogig
Holy toledo I just watched a video on Teslarati.com on the comparison of the Tesla Auto pilot vs Cadillac's Super Cruise. If you watch it just notice the noise level of each car. I was only interested in the topic and then noticed the level in each car.

To everyone measuring sound levels (with their phone or by other device) - have you standardized on a location for the phone/dB meter? That's obviously very important but I haven't seen it mentioned.

Also, if we want to be more scientific about it, it would be good to "calibrate" everyone's meter with the same signal. I suspect there's a decent amount of phone-to-phone microphone response variation. Here's an ogg file (does the Model 3 play ogg files?) of 10 seconds of pink noise. If everyone making measurements put that file on a USB stick and played it at the same volume (and neutral EQ / with enhancement off) settings as everyone else, this reading could be subtracted from the wind noise dB reading and comparisons between different people's measurements would be at least slightly more meaningful.

Appreciate all the research/effort so far!

• Informative
Reactions: dgaultiere
To everyone measuring sound levels (with their phone or by other device) - have you standardized on a location for the phone/dB meter? That's obviously very important but I haven't seen it mentioned.

Also, if we want to be more scientific about it, it would be good to "calibrate" everyone's meter with the same signal. I suspect there's a decent amount of phone-to-phone microphone response variation. Here's an ogg file (does the Model 3 play ogg files?) of 10 seconds of pink noise. If everyone making measurements put that file on a USB stick and played it at the same volume (and neutral EQ / with enhancement off) settings as everyone else, this reading could be subtracted from the wind noise dB reading and comparisons between different people's measurements would be at least slightly more meaningful.

Appreciate all the research/effort so far!
Excellent idea to calibrate the mic using the stereo in the car. Probably the only standard noise maker that everyone taking these measurements has available. Just pick a standard location in the car and a standard volume level with your file & there you go. I think I read that the car will only play mp3s but I'm not sure. Hopefully I'll have my car in the next week or two and I can join in.

When I measured our 3 compared to our S, it was 3db higher on the same roads at the same speeds, around 65-70. Two weeks ago on a weekend trip, we drove about 77 the whole time and the 3 was so loud it was really fatiguing. We had to speak much louder than usual to hear each other clearly and turn up our podcasts and music. I don't think it's mainly wind noise causing the problem. In our S on another trip last week at 77, we could speak at normal levels. The 3 has the 19" sport wheels and our S has the 19" standard slipstream wheels. I got the long range 3 to use it for road trips, but the noise makes our S much more comfortable. It's like the difference between sitting in first class vs right next to the engine.

When I measured our 3 compared to our S, it was 3db higher on the same roads at the same speeds, around 65-70. Two weeks ago on a weekend trip, we drove about 77 the whole time and the 3 was so loud it was really fatiguing. We had to speak much louder than usual to hear each other clearly and turn up our podcasts and music. I don't think it's mainly wind noise causing the problem. In our S on another trip last week at 77, we could speak at normal levels. The 3 has the 19" sport wheels and our S has the 19" standard slipstream wheels. I got the long range 3 to use it for road trips, but the noise makes our S much more comfortable. It's like the difference between sitting in first class vs right next to the engine.
Ditto!! And my MS has the 21s!

It does sound like a lot of the noise folks are reporting could be tire noise. I have never thought our S was particularly good at blocking noise (whether it be from my own tires or other tires). I did some sound deadening on it, but by far the biggest improvement occurred when I went from the 21" PS2s (awesome grip and look, but noisy tires on Texas' grooved concrete freeways), to the 19" Slipstreams with the Goodyear Grand Touring tires (with the sound deadening foam...although I think the tread is doing most of the work from a sound perspective). When the Goodyears wear out I am on the fence with regard to their replacement. If could go with a supposedly even quieter tire (Pirelli Cinturato <sp>) or more of an all-arounder like the Michelin MXM4s.

Bingo! Or at least, that is what is most noisy on my M3. (Never driven an S for comparison, however.) When on the freeway yesterday at ~60, I turned down the radio and the most I heard was the hum of the Conti's. (19" rims).

Agreed, tire noise is the main noise issue in the Model 3, not wind. I have the 18" wheels and the noise is not really that bad, but it's definitely louder than my MX with 20" wheels. Has anyone tried to add sound deadening material to the wheel wells? It looks like you could pop off the wheel well lining (there are some fastener clips showing) and stuff some insulation in there.

Reactions: RBowen and Zapped
Agreed, tire noise is the main noise issue in the Model 3, not wind. I have the 18" wheels and the noise is not really that bad, but it's definitely louder than my MX with 20" wheels. Has anyone tried to add sound deadening material to the wheel wells? It looks like you could pop off the wheel well lining (there are some fastener clips showing) and stuff some insulation in there.
That is why I went back to my Aeros
I also hear a lot of wind noise where the windshield hits the roof line.

Last edited:
Then you may want to try the rpmtesla solution of running a rubber type material in the gutter around the roof glass.

I am not seeing much wind noise in mine. Road noise is equivalent to my earlier S
Thank you for this info.
I posted earlier in this thread the different things I tried. Some of my gaps in the pano were larger and had to use backer rod. Also used round screen spline. Comes in different sizes. Screen spline does have some give for heat expansion of the glass pano. What was nice about the screen spline it was not totally jammed in the channels or rubber gaps between the glass.
Screen spline held in place though even at high speeds and many miles. The backer rod did not in one section. It popped out of the channel.

I would not want to do this on a long period time. My concern was the expansion of the glass pano if I stuck something in the rubber channel/gaps of the glass pano.
I felt the glass would crack possibly because of lack of give caused by heat expansion. Which was discussed in the earlier threads.

I have pics in the previous threads of the process.

In the end I personally felt it did not make a big difference as far as wind noise reduction.

I would like to see if I can take apart the vanity mirror area above my head inside the car. Basically where the windshield and roof line meet and put some dampening material in this area inside the vehicle. I really think this area needs attention for wind noise reduction.

Also I stated I am really not bothered by the wind noise. I just turn the radio up. But I know several people felt when they were on a phone call going at higher speeds they felt the cabin area was very loud due to wind noise.

Last edited:
I got two strips of paint protection film, about 2 in wide and placed them over the glass panel gaps on the roof. Seems to me a 'slicker' alternative to RPMs long tube. The only sound at freeway speeds is the tires on the pavement. On really smooth pavement the car is super quiet. I'm thinking about covering the glass to paint side gaps as well.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61 and RBowen
I got two strips of paint protection film, about 2 in wide and placed them over the glass panel gaps on the roof. Seems to me a 'slicker' alternative to RPMs long tube. The only sound at freeway speeds is the tires on the pavement. On really smooth pavement the car is super quiet. I'm thinking about covering the glass to paint side gaps as well.
Pictures please.. or better yet post some videos

Super interesting idea. Measured or heard improvement? Would also like to hear about installation.