Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wind & road noise with all glass roof?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone with the new all glass roof experienced a similar wind/road noise at higher speeds?

I also picked up my new P100d just before new year and have the same issue with my new all glass roof. I noticed that it sticks up a millimeter or two at the leading edge, rather than fitting completely flush with the edge of the windshield. I carefully put a piece of masking tape across the intersection of the glass roof and the windshield for testing purposes and the wind noise was considerably improved. I have an appointment with the service center on Monday so I will report back.

So what happened?

I was just at my local store this past week, and I asked if they had any cars with the glass roof. I mentioned the noise concerns here on the forum and they were interested, but hadn't heard any from their local customers. We found a car that had the option and was very recently produced. It certainly looks like they have a rubber seal installed in the gap between the windshield and the glass roof panel. It's a bit tough to see since the car was filthy from sitting out behind the building. Is this seal a new addition vs. what some of you have that are reporting the noise?
upload_2017-2-26_1-10-30.png

I was just at my local store this past week, and I asked if they had any cars with the glass roof. I mentioned the noise concerns here on the forum and they were interested, but hadn't heard any from their local customers. We found a car that had the option and was very recently produced. It certainly looks like they have a rubber seal installed in the gap between the windshield and the glass roof panel. It's a bit tough to see since the car was filthy from sitting out behind the building. Is this seal a new addition vs. what some of you have that are reporting the noise?
View attachment 216396

That rubber seal is new. My car did not have that. I had to install something similar as a DIY project. It sure would be nice if they sent a notice to early all glass roof owners so that they could get the fix at their local Service Center.

I took delivery on 1/7/17 with all glass roof and haven't noticed any noise. I just checked and there is no rubber seal along the front edge of the glass roof, but the glass seems to be flush with the top edge of the windshield. When I took delivery, I noticed a very small scratch in the glass and Tesla said they would order a new one and replace it. It hasn't come in yet, but when it does I will see if the new glass has the rubber seal. I was actually debating on whether to even replace the glass since the scratch was so minor. I don't like the idea of surgery on a brand new car, thinking maybe the possibility of ending up with something worse than what I have now (eg scratching the paint or the possibility of having more wind noise after the new install).

I'm assuming this isn't a "normal" sound as only my driver side has the issue. If this were normal wind noise, then both sides should share the issue.

Agree 100%. Our Model S (Pano) had a good bit of noise coming from the passenger side. Turned out the door seal and "triangle window" seal on the passenger's side were faulty, After they were replaced the noise was gone.

• Informative
Reactions: berkeley_ecar
Agree 100%. Our Model S (Pano) had a good bit of noise coming from the passenger side. Turned out the door seal and "triangle window" seal on the passenger's side were faulty, After they were replaced the noise was gone.

My AP1 85D also had the issue with the Triangle window - they added some more foam insulation to it, and that fixed the excessive road/wind noise. OP, I'd look into that first.

• Informative
Reactions: berkeley_ecar
I have the same issue with mine produced 12/31-16 deliverd 7/3-17 - same day when straight in for repairs. It was actually fiited with a defect windscreen, got a new one with less noise, but it's nothing compared with how silent the sunroof is that my loaner has.
When I get it back from the paint shop I will do a leak test like show in this youtube video:
How-To Diagnose a Leaky Windshield

Have the same issue on my March delivered 90D. Just dropped it off at the Dublin service station for diagnosis. Also, had an issue where the driver door wouldn't latch completely unless i used a tad bit more than the normal door close force. Hopefully they will resolve these issues!

In the meantime enjoying their loaner P90D Model X!!!

I just picked up a 100D with the all glass roof. Judging by VIN it’s a July-ish build. The wind noise is pretty awful. I, too, put tape over the seam to confirm the source and that took care of it. Looking at the pic earlier in this thread it’s hard to tell if my seam is any different. I’ve contacted the service center to see what they will do. If they do nothing, what’s an easy fix? Caulking it seems...tacky.

I just picked up a 100D with the all glass roof. Judging by VIN it’s a July-ish build. The wind noise is pretty awful. I, too, put tape over the seam to confirm the source and that took care of it. Looking at the pic earlier in this thread it’s hard to tell if my seam is any different. I’ve contacted the service center to see what they will do. If they do nothing, what’s an easy fix? Caulking it seems...tacky.
This: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NL4DCIO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It has worked for many of us that have this issue

Hello TMC Community! I'm a wide-eyed new MS60 owner still in my honeymoon phase (does it ever end?).

Picked "Mr. Shady" up at the Fremont factory right before New Year and have had a few weeks on the road now. Unfortunately, I was a victim of the Q4 curse...Mr.Shady was plagued with fit & trim issues (misaligned chrome pieces/hood/fender/bumper, broken door light...whole wiring unit was ripped according to my SC, broken driver side mirror, and a few more miscellaneous things). The bright side is my local San Francisco SC has been extremely accommodating and fixed almost every issue + threw in all weather mats :):):).

The last issue we're working on is a fairly bad wind/noise leak coming from the driver side. It's loudest in the driver seat, but you can hear it along the rear as well. The sound only comes out when speeding up past 40 and becomes especially loud after hitting 70+ MPH. SC confirmed the noise on their test drive and tried fixing 3x now with no success. I'm assuming this isn't a "normal" sound as only my driver side has the issue. If this were normal wind noise, then both sides should share the issue. SC agrees with this logic. They're thinking it might be the glass roof, but fixing that will require cutting...and I'm not okay with invasive surgery on a new car!

Has anyone with the new all glass roof experienced a similar wind/road noise at higher speeds?

Any recommendations on what to do if the only option SC suggests is cutting my entire glass roof out and this is not okay with me?

Honestly, if the noise were minor, then I'd just ignore it and enjoy my car. However, my entire family agrees it's loud and distracting, and not acceptable in a 80K+ car. Thanks in advance for the advice everyone!!
Yes I have the same noise in my front passenger side door. (I have a new Right hand drive 75D.)

I had this problem on my 90D delivered mid-December. They eventually decided the driver's window glass was warped, and replaced it. No more wind noise. My guess is that if that happened with one vehicle it probably happened to a whole batch.

Note, though, that a certain amount of perceived wind noise is to be expected without the noise of an ICE. This was way more than that, though.

How did they figure out the window was warped?

I'm having pretty terrible wind noise 70mph+ and my glass roof looks like it is flush. I'm wondering what else it could be.