Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wind whistle behind dash....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I have this wind whistle in my 2016 model X P90D. It started at about 20,000 miles. It sounds like it is coming from deep behind the dash. I’ve tried taping around the windshield to no avail. I’ve taped around the cover to the 12V battery in the front trunk. Didn’t help. The whistle happens at highway speeds and it is worse in some directions than others depending on the wind. Rolling down the side windows makes no difference in the whistle. Has anyone had anything similar?

Here’s another video where the whistle isn’t quite as bad because I’m going a bit slower.

Found it.
20190116_110939.jpg

I kind of doubt that is what is making my whistle.

Couple of questions, did yours make the whistle even when you were stopped? Mine only whistles when I’m traveling at least 60 miles per hour or so. Mine makes the whistle even if the air conditioning fan is completely off. Mine does not make a whistle if I am sitting still with the air conditioning fan on at any speed.

My 2018 MX makes the same whistling noise. Above 50mph is when I start to notice it and it seems to go away above 75mph. I always just attributed it to aerodynamics and the car being so quite that you can hear small noises such as this. If I have the radio on I can’t hear the noise so it rarely bothers me. I’d be curious to hear what the service center says if you bring the problem to them.

A0E7515A-74E7-4F6F-A5AD-39089EBF7A0B.jpeg
My 2018 MX makes the same whistling noise. Above 50mph is when I start to notice it and it seems to go away above 75mph. I always just attributed it to aerodynamics and the car being so quite that you can hear small noises such as this. If I have the radio on I can’t hear the noise so it rarely bothers me. I’d be curious to hear what the service center says if you bring the problem to them.

I finally figured out my problem. It was the passenger side headlight. The piece of tape in the picture completely eliminated the whistling noise. I went to Lowes and got some foam weatherstripping and placed it underneath the hood over the headlight and the whistle is now gone.

Reactions: Dcam
@Happy2th I had the same issue with my X about a year ago, and came up with the same exact solution. I could only hear the noise at speeds above 70mph. My local service center tried to figure out where the noise was coming from but they aren’t allowed to drive customer cars at speeds over the legal limit so could never replicate it. I spent several hours with a lot of blue masking tape and finally isolated the area producing the noise, right where you found the source of your noise.

Reactions: Dcam
View attachment 372527 .

I finally figured out my problem. It was the passenger side headlight. The piece of tape in the picture completely eliminated the whistling noise. I went to Lowes and got some foam weatherstripping and placed it underneath the hood over the headlight and the whistle is now gone.

Thanks, going to try this at home. Did you find any other whistles or sounds from your MX? I'm on a binge to try and get my MX as quiet as possible.

View attachment 372527 .

Interesting tape placement, my 2018 X has a reoccurring problem with the clips that hold the plastic bumper in place at the headlight on the right, it also whistles and drives me crazy on road trips. Mine whistles from about 35 on up.

Here is how I placed a piece of foam weatherstripping several years ago to stop my whistling noise at 70mph and above. I put a matching piece on the other side of the hood, just it maintain symmetry. ;)

Attachments

• 926D4FAB-5A36-490C-87B3-2DA174BFE67C.jpeg
    926D4FAB-5A36-490C-87B3-2DA174BFE67C.jpeg
    262.5 KB · Views: 73
  • C282DDEE-B6A6-4B4F-B7E3-6D07C3593E7D.jpeg
    C282DDEE-B6A6-4B4F-B7E3-6D07C3593E7D.jpeg
    343.5 KB · Views: 66