Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window explode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any glass inside the car or all outside? I am curious if anything fell down and struck the glass. Anything out of place, on the floor? Perhaps some vibration or ill placed item on a shelf or wall next to that window fell down and struck the glass? But it would have to strike the glass just right with enough force, which seems unlikely. If that was the case, I'd run out and buy a lotto ticket because the odds of that happening would be...

Believe it or not, this happens to car windows on occasion.

My favorite experience of this - I’m a beat cop talking with my sergeant in a parking garage of the local jail after booking someone. We’re standing behind his SUV and the rear window just shatters. Years ago there was a shoot out in that very garage, so needless to say we were REALLY INTERESTED in what happened. It helped that there wasn’t any real noise, just a strange crunchy-pop.

I think that’s something that happens with auto glass even when it doesn’t get visibly nicked. I would HOPE it is a warranty thing, so do post the follow up.

Reactions: RichAZ/CapeCod
4iejgf.jpg

Window roll downs - There is ZERO reason for this to "vent" the cabin. Think about it, when you run your heater or AC, do you normally open the window or see a window open by it's self every now and then? Your logic would have that if the HVAC fan was on blowing air INTO the cabin, the windows would explode after a few minutes because the air had "no where to go." Now if you're going to tell me that there is some fancy system on the HVAC to equalize pressure when it's running... why not use that instead of rolling a window down? Much less likely to have rain, snow, leaves, animals, etc get into your car if there is a vent and air filter in a protected location of the car to let fresh outside air in/out. A window down an inch is just asking to have water damage or some creatures living inside your car. Also, if they DID have to do this... why not have it roll down literally like a tenth or hundredth of an inch. All you would have to do is break a seal. Think about unscrewing a soda bottle cap... do you have to have the lid completely off before you hear hissing? No. You hear it after the first half a turn or less. It's barely moved along the threads and that's enough of an air gap to reduce pressure.

Tesla being air tight - Floating does not equal air tight.

"Elon Musk @elonmusk Jun 19, 2016
We *def* don't recommended this, but Model S floats well enough to turn it into a boat for short periods of time. Thrust via wheel rotation."

Short periods of time.
Most cars will float for a short period of time, they just have a lot of exposed bits that shouldn't be submerged. The Tesla systems that are needed for operation (battery and motors) are largely sealed (though the batteries do have breather valves to equalize pressure). That doesn't mean they are air tight, it just means the volume of air trying to escape takes awhile before everything can fill with water. Door seals are not air tight, they might seal well, but it's not a hermetic seal. Passthroughs to trunks are not air tight and I'm sure those trunks have access points to the taillights. The plastic taillights are likely not completely air tight, especially with Tesla famous build quality for having condensation build up in the taillights... Your HVAC system is not air tight... in fact it's designed to bring in and filter fresh air into the cabin... These cars are not sealed near enough to build up ambient pressure. Also, if they were, every parking lot in the world that got a lot of sun during the summer would have exploded windows all over the place. When the cabin gets up to 140 degrees and outside is 90 degrees, if it's completely air tight, you would have a pressure deferential.

Likely this was a stress fracture that finally gave way, or was poor alignment that was building/holding stress in the window every time the door was closed and the glass just finally gave, or some other compromise/defect to the glass.

• Funny
Reactions: qdeathstar