Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window tint headache on new 24 M3, Any advice?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Part 1

2 weeks ago, I took my brand new 2024 Model 3 to a local shop to get windows and back tinted.

I used this shop 3 years ago for my 21 model 3 and I remember the job was done well, so I took it back there again for the new car.

I dropped my car off for 3 hrs and when I went to pickup, I noticed several issues.
It was 80 and sunny that day.

Almost every window had a white spot on it (not bubbles), so it’s like a speck of dust that got in under the tint and created a white circle around it. There were several on 2-3 of the windows.

The rear window, there was a 2 inch long line, which looked almost like a tear. Also, there was white residue and white piece of paper stuck in the rear break light box.

I was surprised they left it like this.

When I asked them to look at it, the installer who did the job came out. I explained to him the issues and he basically stated I’m being too picky and that this is “normal” accepted tint for any car. He even said “ I am the owner’s son, I know what I’m doing ..”

He said I’m supposed to stand 3-4 feet away from the car to inspect tint, not up close. I was speechless.

I left the shop bc he said to wait 1 week to see if spots go away.

The white residue and paper left in the brake box - he said they cannot reach it and that I should goto a car wash and use a vaccum or air hose to clean it myself.

5 days later:

I waited for tint to completely dry. I went to the car wash to see if I can clean out the white paper, I was able to.

However, the spots on the tint didn’t go away and I found more and more white spots.

I called and spoke to a manager and he asked me to bring it back so he can look.

Made appointment for Wednesday 9:30 am, about 2 weeks after original install.

That morning, while leaving for the tint shop and arranging a ride back to my house, I call the Manager to make sure he is there.

He doesn’t pick up. It’s 9:05 am.

I call the shop direct and the front desk girl tells me he is not coming that day and that I should reschedule.

So, I cancel my plans and wait for manager to set a new appointment.

That day, we set a date for next Tuesday 9:30 am.

Tuesday morning, 9:00 am, I call manager to confirm if we are on for today. He says no, I have to reschedule for Friday.

Friday, he calls me and says I have to reschedule for the next week.

Finally, we set a date and I see him on Friday.

I leave my car there and arrange a ride.

He says it will be ready in 2 hours and they will re do the entire car tint.

2 hours go by. I notice my car hasn’t been touched.

I call shop after 2 hrs . Manager says, oh our machine broke so we need 3 more hours.

I had to go to work and had other commitments already for Friday. I said we have to reschedule again.

Our 5th reschedule was set for Yesterday 9:30 am.

To be continued…

IMG_9963.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9952.jpeg
    IMG_9952.jpeg
    348 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9964.jpeg
    IMG_9964.jpeg
    442.9 KB · Views: 24
Part 2

Yesterday, after 4 cancellations, I finally dropped off my car to the shop. The manager said he would be there and would personally oversee the process of re doing my tint

When I called before the drop off yesterday morning (to make sure it’s not cancelled AGAIN) I was told the manager is NOT working today. lol

So, I asked the front desk girl if I should still drop off car - she said yes, he told us you are coming.

I drop the car off there for 4 hours.

I picked up the car and assumed that things would be fixed and no more issues right?

I let the car dry the past 2 days. Here are the results:

Still have white spots , actually more spots than last job.

What should I do at this point?

Attachments

• IMG_0250.jpeg
    IMG_0250.jpeg
    271.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0252.jpeg
    IMG_0252.jpeg
    378 KB · Views: 19
Time to call your credit card company and do a chargeback. You did pay by credit card, right
Yes I did pay with credit card, even though they suggested I pay cash for a $20 discount. I brought cash with me to pay them - but after seeing the shoddy work, I changed my mind and pulled out my credit card last second

And I was thinking to do the charge back as well..

But first, was thinking of asking the manager nicely to give them an opportunity to refund me - if he doesn’t, then I suppose chargeback is the way to go?

I’ve never done a chargeback - does that hurt me in any way?

Reactions: Skavatar
name of shop??? anyway i just had my car done and had similar results. called the shop and they said to bring it back in. i was able to bring it back to them 3 days later, the owner of the shop said they were "pressure points" and that he could get them out without redoing the tint. from what it looked like to me they heated the glass with a heat gun from the outside and squeegee'd the imperfections out from the inside. needless to say they got rid of all of them.

ive had about a dozen cars tinted including one model 3 and this is the first time ive ever seen this. just happy they were able to get them out. i'll post pics of the imperfections later so you can see how similar they are to yours.

Yes I did pay with credit card, even though they suggested I pay cash for a $20 discount. I brought cash with me to pay them - but after seeing the shoddy work, I changed my mind and pulled out my credit card last second

And I was thinking to do the charge back as well..

But first, was thinking of asking the manager nicely to give them an opportunity to refund me - if he doesn’t, then I suppose chargeback is the way to go?

I’ve never done a chargeback - does that hurt me in any way?
It hurts the merchant in a big way, so they may negotiate. On the other hand, they may also give a runaround in hopes the timing expires. Be prepared they may refuse to do business in the future.

IMG_7710.jpeg
IMG_7707.jpeg
IMG_7709.jpeg
IMG_7711.jpeg

here are the pics, anyway you can see theres no debris in the little imperfections, not sure if that the case for yours but there is still hope if your case is similar to mine. hopefully they can fix your issue without redoing those windows. i hate the tinting process because of the amount of "stress" the interior goes through with spraying everything down with water ect. i feel your pain and hopefully this can be resolved for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tezla1 and ken_neth
View attachment 1028480View attachment 1028481View attachment 1028482View attachment 1028483
here are the pics, anyway you can see theres no debris in the little imperfections, not sure if that the case for yours but there is still hope if your case is similar to mine. hopefully they can fix your issue without redoing those windows. i hate the tinting process because of the amount of "stress" the interior goes through with spraying everything down with water ect. i feel your pain and hopefully this can be resolved for you.
Thanks for sharing

I do not have issues like that.

I have little white “spots” on the tint in almost every window of the car. It looks like this , see attached.

From what I’ve heard, it’s from a dust particle that is caught between glass and the tint, causing an air bubble.

Attachments

• IMG_0250.jpeg
    IMG_0250.jpeg
    271.3 KB · Views: 23
Update:

I called the shop 3 times the day after the 2nd install.

No response. I left 2 messages for owner to call me back.

I called a 4th time yesterday and left another message asking to speak to owner about a refund.

I got a call today from the front desk lady and she explained they will refund me only if I bring the car back and they remove the tint LOL

I said why not just refund me now? I do not feel comfortable bringing the car back to have it removed for fear of further damage, obviously

She said no, I have to bring it back and have tint removed. I asked her to have the owner of shop call me.

5 mins later the manager (who I’ve been working with past 2 weeks) called. He repeated that I have to return the tint to get refund or else it would be like me “getting a free tint job” and that is not fair to them

I politely declined and asked for a full refund without them touching my car. He refused.

I asked for owner to call me, for the 5th time, he said he will call me later today.

At this point, I am wondering if the owner of the shop even knows what happened with my tint job or his employees behavior towards me.

I wanted to allow the owner the chance to refund me in a peaceful way before I do a chargeback.

Am I being too nice? 😊

Update:

I called the shop 3 times the day after the 2nd install.

No response. I left 2 messages for owner to call me back.

I called a 4th time yesterday and left another message asking to speak to owner about a refund.

I got a call today from the front desk lady and she explained they will refund me only if I bring the car back and they remove the tint LOL

I said why not just refund me now? I do not feel comfortable bringing the car back to have it removed for fear of further damage, obviously

She said no, I have to bring it back and have tint removed. I asked her to have the owner of shop call me.

5 mins later the manager (who I’ve been working with past 2 weeks) called. He repeated that I have to return the tint to get refund or else it would be like me “getting a free tint job” and that is not fair to them

I politely declined and asked for a full refund without them touching my car. He refused.

I asked for owner to call me, for the 5th time, he said he will call me later today.

At this point, I am wondering if the owner of the shop even knows what happened with my tint job or his employees behavior towards me.

I wanted to allow the owner the chance to refund me in a peaceful way before I do a chargeback.

Am I being too nice? 😊
To be fair, to refuse to have it taken back out would seem to them you are just wanting a free tint and not negotiating in good faith. Even having some spots in it, the tint isn't worth $0.

To be fair, to refuse to have it taken back out would seem to them you are just wanting a free tint and not negotiating in good faith. Even having some spots in it, the tint isn't worth $0.

In talking to the people at this shop, everyone has been rude to me so far.

After having argued with them on the phone, do you think it's safe for me to leave my car in their shop (where I cannot see it) for 2 hours?

They have already caused some light damage to my car - near the back brake light box, I can see there are rubbed out areas of the fabric where it meets the glass.

So, you expect me to hand them my brand new Tesla and leave it in their shop for 2-3 hours? They are going to be super careful with removing the tint and not cause any more damage to inside or outside of my car?

I can afford to pay for tint. I do not need free tint.

I would have done the charge back the moment the owner's son made that ridiculous comment to you. A few bubbles here and there is normal, but yours just shows they do not work in a suitable environment to deliver a quality tint application. At this point no matter what the owner tells you, how can you trust them to give you the actual tint you paid for.. I'm assuming you bought a high quality tint like Xpel.

That stinks. I'd be worried about them breaking the heating elements on the rear glass. In the past, those have been known to easily break when tint is removed. I guess it is possible tesla has fixed that, but I kind of doubt it...

So, you expect me to hand them my brand new Tesla and leave it in their shop for 2-3 hours? They are going to be super careful with removing the tint and not cause any more damage to inside or outside of my car?
Assuming you are going to get it tinted somewhere else, work out a deal where the new shop removes the tint, then you take it back to the shop to have them see it was removed before it is re-tinted so that they can feel comfortable refunding you.

In talking to the people at this shop, everyone has been rude to me so far.

After having argued with them on the phone, do you think it's safe for me to leave my car in their shop (where I cannot see it) for 2 hours?

They have already caused some light damage to my car - near the back brake light box, I can see there are rubbed out areas of the fabric where it meets the glass.

I can afford to pay for tint. I do not need free tint.
Agree to have them remove the tint but only on the condition you will sit there watch and videotape to ensure they don’t damage the vehicle any further.