Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window Tint Too Expensive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've taken 3 cars (and plan to take our upcoming MYP) to the same place in Redondo Beach, Fresh Window Tint. ask for Jose the owner if you're interested. TBH, not the cheapest option but they carry quality products and have done awesome work in the past.

my rear including the entire roof is limo/5%. the sides I did 15% and front windshield in 60%. unlike others, I don't really care for the glass roof so in anticipation for the warmer summers, I went as dark as possible with the highest grade, heat rejection.
Did you get ceramic? I'm in OC and will be getting it tinted as soon as I take delivery so I'm shopping around now. I was quoted $1380 from a local place.

Did you get ceramic? I'm in OC and will be getting it tinted as soon as I take delivery so I'm shopping around now. I was quoted $1380 from a local place.
yes, I did get ceramic. we actually had my wife's MYP done at a different place bc it was cheaper and they also had great yelp reviews. give Concours Auto Spa in Torrance and see what they can do for you. their quote might be close to your $1380 quote.

Reactions: honeybadgerr
Anyone got suggestion on which tint I should go with? I got these quotes from 2 SoCal place, both with really good Yelp reviews.

Option 1. 3M Premier dealer
all side windows + half rear FX-Premium $235 or Ceramic IR $470

Option 2. Mobile installer
all side + full back Rayno Phantom S7 (Carbon Ceramic) $245

Which installer would you go with? Both installer have over 100 reviews with 4.5+ rating. I am not sure which route to go.

Yes.

Attachments

• TESLA.jpg
    TESLA.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 137
I noticed that tint places will list Tesla as it's own car category... kind of upsetting really... here's an example where they list:

Coupe / Sedan, Pickup Truck, SUV, Extended SUV, MiniVan, Tesla

Pricing:
Coupe / Sedan
PRIME XR - $349
PRIME XR PLUS - $599

SUV
PRIME XR - $449
PRIME XR PLUS - $699

Extended SUV
PRIME XR - $529
PRIME XR PLUS - $799

MiniVan
PRIME XR - $499
PRIME XR PLUS - $799

Model 3
PRIME XR - $599
PRIME XR PLUS - $999

I can't believe they actually advertise it on their website.

Last edited:
I noticed that tint places will list Tesla as it's own car category... kind of upsetting really... here's an example where they list:

Coupe / Sedan, Pickup Truck, SUV, Extended SUV, MiniVan, Tesla

Pricing:
Coupe / Sedan
PRIME XR - $349
PRIME XR PLUS - $599

SUV
PRIME XR - $449
PRIME XR PLUS - $699

Extended SUV
PRIME XR - $529
PRIME XR PLUS - $799

MiniVan
PRIME XR - $499
PRIME XR PLUS - $799

Model 3
PRIME XR - $599
PRIME XR PLUS - $999

I can't believe they actually advertise it on their website.

the back window is quite large and takes more materials, higher price makes more sense to me

It takes more material to tint a M3 than than a Tahoe?
It doesn't take more material, but it does require one large piece of tint for the large back window, or an expert join of two pieces. A Tahoe is slightly more $ in materials, but it is a substantially easier installation. The Tesla has much more rake to the windshield, and to do the entire back window in one piece is an exercise in frustration, to say the least.

Materials are not the expensive part of the install.

It doesn't take more material, but it does require one large piece of tint for the large back window, or an expert join of two pieces. A Tahoe is slightly more $ in materials, but it is a substantially easier installation. The Tesla has much more rake to the windshield, and to do the entire back window in one piece is an exercise in frustration, to say the least.

Materials are not the expensive part of the install.
Windshield is not included in the quote I posted.

So $999 is normal price to tint a M3 ?

Windshield is not included in the quote I posted.

So $999 is normal price to tint a M3 ?
I didn't say anything about the windshield. I also didn't comment that the price was good - only that it makes sense the Tesla would cost more than a Tahoe. :)

$1k to tint a car does sound absurd, but it's not that far off from what most people are paying. 6 months ago, I would have said ~$750 is the most I would pay, but that was before everything decided to get stupid expensive.

I paid around $400 for my last car, and that was not ceramic. Add the cost of ceramic tint, and the pain in the arse of tinting the Model 3, and I'd say $999 isn't that far off from reality, especially when I see what these people on the west coast are paying.

• Love
Reactions: lUtriaNt
i paid 1K for all windows, one piece in back, visor strip up top (as well as the front windscreen) here in LA.

with the electronics and such in these ipad cars we drive, some dealers have to be more protective of the interior, so they toss in a bit more for labor associated with that as well.

• Disagree
Reactions: Ramphex
Hello all! I recently purchased a ‘21 M3P. My question is why is window tint so darn expensive for these cars? I’m getting quotes for $900 & up to tint all the glass except the roof.
I feel like it’s very location specific. There are pros here who knock out 4 window ceramic tint to 35% in 2 hours for $300. They even pick your car up and return it to the lot once finished.

I'm in the atlanta area and reached out to one shop based on a lot of positive reviews and they quoted me 900 for ceramic for all side windows and one piece full rear. seems like its on par with some other quotes ive seen in here. its crazy how expensive that rear window can be but i get it.

That’s a major ripoff.

I had my 2020 Model 3 tinted with crystalline ( step above ceramic). Tint included entire back window (includes rear passenger roof area), sides, and entire front windshield for $700.

I had my 2019 Model 3 tinted with ceramic in the same manner, except without the windshield, for $425.

$900 definitely includes Tesla tax.
Where was this done? That's a steal!