Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield Back Order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a good sized crack in our windshield that is continuing grow. This happened back on June 6th and we immediately called our insurance company (USAA) who has a relationship with safelite.

- We were scheduled for the replacement on Saturday June 11th.
- Safelite called the morning of the 11th and said they still don't have the glass and that they'd call when they did.
- I called back this morning and Safelite said they ordered it from the Tesla Dedham Service Center, but still no glass.
- She provided the name of the person they spoke with to place the order (Nelson) as well as the PO#
- I immediately called Dedham. They got the call and placed the order, but that the windshield is on backorder.
- I am told that Nelson at Dedham said that he told the Safelite people to call the Watertown SC to see if they had one (something I believe he should have tracked down for them).
- Dedham calls Watertown for me to see if they have one...can't get them on the phone and says he'll call me back when he does
- I thank the Dedham service rep and let him know that if Watertown does not have a windshield, we will be dropping our car off at the Dedham SC and will require a loaner vehicle.
- I am promptly told that they will not provide me with a loaner because it is an insurance claim and that I can go through my insurance (at a cost to me) to get a rental car.
- I point out that the only reason I need a rental is because TESLA has a windshield backorder. He tells me again they will not provide a loaner.
- I call Watertown myself, get the parts team on the phone right away....no windshield. Can't confirm or deny if they'll give me a loaner. Also cannot tell me when they might actually have a windshield for me. Waiting for a call back.

Is it me, or are these "Showrooms" or "Galleries" becoming more and more like "dealerships" every day. When I had my first model s in 2013, there is NO WAY they'd let me go without providing me a loaner. So far, I am highly disappointed.

More to come......

.....and they are "expiditing" a windshield. Which is a funny way of saying that they are going to make sure they actually get a windshield. Something I am sure they could have done a week ago.

They still claim they will not provide a loaner. My bride is driving the car to the Dedham service center today to demand a loaner and will not be taking no for an answer. I wish the Dedham service team luck...

I've been a pretty happy customer for 3 years, but this is total bullshit.

Unfortunately, I think that the reply from Tesla regarding no loaner for you is the right response. The windshield is insured through your insurance company (USAA), not Tesla. Yes - it is unfortunate that the windshields are on back order, but this has happened to me on other vehicle brands when parts were needed for an insurance claim and not readily available, and I went through our insurance to cover the rental. I too have USAA, and have for over 30 years (excellent insurance company), and we have rental reimbursement as part of our policy.

I too had to have our Tesla windshield replaced, and it took 2 or 3 weeks to get it done earlier this spring.

I fail to see the rationale as to why this would be the proper response. While the windshield is insured by USAA, the car is not safely operable because the insured windshield cannot be replaced by TESLA because their part is backordered.

I'm beyond being blinded by fanboyism at this point.

I understand your pain, however it is not Tesla that has to give you a loaner it is your insurance. If this was a warranty claim I would understand, but it is not.

The only fault Tesla has in this, is not allowing other vendors to make aftermarket parts. Allow might not be the right word but they make it very hard to do so on vendors and the customers.

If there was an aftermarket windshield you would be up and running by now.

I'm sorry but you are adding your own stress by not using your insurance company.

As an FYI - we went directly through TESLA to replace our windshield, as the price for us here was the same for Tesla or Safelite, since the windshield was supplied by TESLA, not an aftermarket 3rd party supplier. Having said that, it was 2 - 3 weeks to get it replaced. As it was one linear crack about 16 inches long, I drove the car until the replacement windshield came in. I coordinated with USAA, paid for the replacement windshield with a credit card, and USAA reimbursed me before the credit card statement came. I did not ask for a Tesla loaner while waiting, as again it was an insurance claim, not a manufacturer's defect issue.

But Tesla cannot provide the part...so we cannot drive the car. That is Tesla's problem. Not my insurance companies problem.
Agree to disagree.

How come you can't drive the car? Is the crack that bad or directly in the line of sight for the driver?

Living in Colorado, I've had to replace the windshield on my CR-V multiple times. I got the first crack when the car was only 3 weeks old. I was able to get it repaired but 9 months later, the crack went across the entire windshield during a 30 minute drive. I got it replaced and the new windshield got a crack within a year.The current crack in my windshield has probably been there for 8 years or more. Fortunately it's not in my line of sight so I haven't felt the need to rush out and get it replaced or stop driving the vehicle.

Last edited:
The only reason Tesla should provide a loaner is out of goodwill. Which you may have gotten if you asked nicely instead of demanding it. The windshield breaking was no fault of Tesla. If your car is unsafe to drive, then its your insurance companies responsibility to provide a rental if you paid for such coverage. This is no different than if you had any other sort of accident damage to your car.

Unfortunately, I think that the reply from Tesla regarding no loaner for you is the right response. The windshield is insured through your insurance company (USAA), not Tesla. Yes - it is unfortunate that the windshields are on back order, but this has happened to me on other vehicle brands when parts were needed for an insurance claim and not readily available, and I went through our insurance to cover the rental. I too have USAA, and have for over 30 years (excellent insurance company), and we have rental reimbursement as part of our policy.

I too had to have our Tesla windshield replaced, and it took 2 or 3 weeks to get it done earlier this spring.

I had a windshield replaced on my SC400 at the Lexus dealer(covered by insurance). The dealer still gave me a Lexus loaner.

In fact, I've never gotten anything other than a Lexus loaner from a Lexus dealer and an Infiniti loaner from an Infiniti dealer. Never had a car rental from either of these brands. The last 3 trips, including the current trip where my car is sitting now for the 6th day without being touch except to juggle it around in the parking lot, I've had Enterprise rentals.

Reactions: EKnight47
I asked very nicely and in fact let the service rep know that we will wait to see when the windshield could actually get here and then discuss the loaner issue later. I haven't had one negatively charged discussion or argument with any of the service centers. They're all good people and I have gotten to know most of them over the years.

For those that drove with a crack across your windshield....awesome. It's not safe. Period. Not doing it. Especially with my two young kids in the car.

Backordered windshield. Ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a windshield replaced on my SC400 at the Lexus dealer(covered by insurance). The dealer still gave me a Lexus loaner.

In fact, I've never gotten anything other than a Lexus loaner from a Lexus dealer and an Infiniti loaner from an Infiniti dealer. Never had a car rental from either of these brands. The last 3 trips, including the current trip where my car is sitting now for the 6th day without being touch except to juggle it around in the parking lot, I've had Enterprise rentals.

Bingo. Same experience for me with both Mercedes and Infiniti.

How come you can't drive the car? Is the crack that bad or directly in the line of sight for the driver?
The OP is in MA, I believe this is the relevant vehicle code:

540 CMR 4.04

a) Windshield Critical Viewing Area is the area covered by the sweep of the wiper(s) exclusive of the outer two inches within the perimeter of the wiper(s) sweep, provided by the vehicle manufacturer.

(b) Windshields having any of the following defects will be rejected:

1. Any broken glass with sharp or jagged edges inside or outside.

2. Any stone bruise, star break, or bulls eye, damage in excess of one inch in diameter within the critical viewing area or larger than two inches outside the critical viewing area, or multiple such damage.

3. Single line cracks which extend more than three inches into the critical viewing area.

4. Multiple cracks, having one or more which extends into the critical viewing area.

The OP is in MA, I believe this is the relevant vehicle code:

540 CMR 4.04

a) Windshield Critical Viewing Area is the area covered by the sweep of the wiper(s) exclusive of the outer two inches within the perimeter of the wiper(s) sweep, provided by the vehicle manufacturer.

(b) Windshields having any of the following defects will be rejected:

1. Any broken glass with sharp or jagged edges inside or outside.

2. Any stone bruise, star break, or bulls eye, damage in excess of one inch in diameter within the critical viewing area or larger than two inches outside the critical viewing area, or multiple such damage.

3. Single line cracks which extend more than three inches into the critical viewing area.

4. Multiple cracks, having one or more which extends into the critical viewing area.

Thanks for the info on that vehicle code. I'm sure Colorado has something similar.

I have one long crack down along the base of the windshield in my CR-V. It isn't in the driver's critical viewing area and hasn't grown in 8+ years. Sounds like my crack would still be legal in MA and it hasn't impacted my safety for the past 80,000+ miles.

Last edited:
I fail to see the rationale as to why this would be the proper response. While the windshield is insured by USAA, the car is not safely operable because the insured windshield cannot be replaced by TESLA because their part is backordered.

I'm beyond being blinded by fanboyism at this point.
Why would Tesla be responsible for anything that is being handled by your insurance company?

Why would Tesla be responsible for anything that is being handled by your insurance company?

They can't provide the part. It's pretty simple. How the hell is my insurance company supposed to get the windshield replaced if Tesla can't provide the part.

And to the dude with the broken CRV windshield. Good on you. I'd never do that. I guess I am just less risk averse? It's not the safest thing you could do.

Bottom line....Tesla's level of customer service has really declined over the past 3 years. I guess that's what's bugging me most.