Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield noise reduction kit, just to keep out debris

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone. First, I do not have any objectionable wind noise coming from the gaps around the windshield and panoramic glass roof. I am considering buying one of the available kits for the sole purpose of preventing debris/dirt from getting to those gaps. Will probably order one from either Abstract Ocean or RPMTesla.

So, my questions are:
1. Are there any practical differences between the ones carried by the above mentioned retailers? AO describes theirs as being made from EPDM rubber. RPMTesla describes theirs as a "2nd" generation version made from silicone (their 1st gen was made out of EPDM rubber). Not sure which material would hold up better against the elements (UV exposure, extreme temperatures, etc...).

2. Does one brand have a larger overall tube diameter than the other?
I've seen some YouTube install videos of these kits and the tube always fills the front and rear gaps very well, but they all appear to sit a little loosely on the two sides.
Again, my primary goal is to fill as much of the gap as possible to keep debris out. So, the nod would go to the brand with the slightly larger tube diameter. If the kit actually ends up helping with & reducing wind noise, then that will be just an extra side benefit as far as I'm concerned.

are you talking about the strip of rubber you shove between the glass panels? if so, have you seen the videos/images of people with them installed, where they come out on highway speeds?

I was inspecting my panels the other day and noticed there is already rubber gaskets there, between the glass. if you're doing anything to prevent those from doing their job, it seems like you would be the one introducing unnecessary debris, etc. i wouldn't want a warranty case rejected because i shoved something non-OEM just for the sake of it getting dirty.

Reactions: SunCharged
are you talking about the strip of rubber you shove between the glass panels? if so, have you seen the videos/images of people with them installed, where they come out on highway speeds?
Thanks for the response. Yeah, I've seen those videos, but there are also enough folks with these kits who do NOT have any issues with the tubes coming out at highway speeds. So, I don't think there is much of a real risk for the tubes to fall out at any speed. As the saying goes, you can't believe everything you hear/see on the internet...

I was inspecting my panels the other day and noticed there is already rubber gaskets there, between the glass. if you're doing anything to prevent those from doing their job, it seems like you would be the one introducing unnecessary debris, etc. i wouldn't want a warranty case rejected because i shoved something non-OEM just for the sake of it getting dirty
There is absolutely zero chance that inserting a flexible hollow rubber tube into those gaps will cause any mechanical or warranty problems. So, I think the only real reasonable argument that one can make against using/inserting these tubes into the gaps, is that the tubes may prevent water from properly channeling around the windshield and glass roof. On the other hand, if these rubber tubes fill the gap, then water will not even be able enter those gaps... another benefit as far as I'm concerned.

water is lazy. if you create a scenario for it to pool, it will. which would you trust more, a piece of rubber or silicone gel?

my point being, inserting something for the sake of the benefit you're describing does not work as you cannot thoroughly fill in the gaps. instead, the water will seep around the edges of the rubber and pool underneath, with nowhere to go. IMO you would be increasing the chance or rust vs. a little dirt you'll probably never see.

water is lazy. if you create a scenario for it to pool, it will. which would you trust more, a piece of rubber or silicone gel?

my point being, inserting something for the sake of the benefit you're describing does not work as you cannot thoroughly fill in the gaps. instead, the water will seep around the edges of the rubber and pool underneath, with nowhere to go. IMO you would be increasing the chance or rust vs. a little dirt you'll probably never see.

I see and understand your point. However, I think by inserting the rubber tube, we actually greatly reduce the amount of water that can get into those gaps.. especially on the front and rear. On the sides (where the tubes may not completely fill the entire gap), I don't think it is physically possible for the rubber tube to trap any water. The shape of glass roof is curved (i.e. not flat). So, any water that does find its way around (or even under the) rubber tube will simply run down & drain towards the front or rear of the vehicle.

I think we can agree to disagree on this particular point... and that's OK. Everyone is welcome to share their opinion. It's just the engineering side of me simply does not see a logical way for these rubber tubes to actually cause any harm to the vehicle. At best, it will help accomplish my goal... to reduce or eliminate the amount of debris that gets into these gaps. At worst, I waste $16 on a product that provides zero benefit.

I've also looked at these and say some comments on a couple of YouTube videos that talked about concerns of water standing after these aftermarket gap fillers are installed, or concerns about adding pressure during any sort of expansion or contraction of materials. I'm less concerned about the latter, but I could see some concerns about moisture retention. I would think you'd want to keep these channels clear so that the water can be properly channeled and drained.

If you want to keep the channels clean, couldn't you just spray along the channels when washing the vehicle, or take an air compressor and give it a couple light shots of air to blow out any debris?

Reactions: ZappCatt
I've also looked at these and say some comments on a couple of YouTube videos that talked about concerns of water standing after these aftermarket gap fillers are installed, or concerns about adding pressure during any sort of expansion or contraction of materials. I'm less concerned about the latter, but I could see some concerns about moisture retention. I would think you'd want to keep these channels clear so that the water can be properly channeled and drained.

If you want to keep the channels clean, couldn't you just spray along the channels when washing the vehicle, or take an air compressor and give it a couple light shots of air to blow out any debris?

Personally, I don't think moisture retention is a real risk. If we go on the premise that these rubber tubes will not completely fill the entire gap and water can indeed get underneath the tubes... then that must also mean that AIR can get underneath the tubes as well... which in turn means that any water present will be able to evaporate & dry out.

Yes, I could simply spray the gaps with water and/or use my air compressor to blow out any debris. However, if there is a chance these rubber tubes will do/accomplish what I think they can, then it saves me a little time/hassle.

The good news is I can easily remove the rubber tube with no effort or ill-effects (other than wasting $16 on the product), if it does not work as intended.

At this point, I'm just trying to determine if there any difference in the tube outer diameter between the AO and RPMTesla product. I want to get the one with the larger diameter, because that one will have a greater chance of filling the entire gap on all sides.

Last edited:
There is a new (well not so new anymore) version of the roof tubing that is made out of outdoor grade black silicone instead of rubber.

Cheap and doesn't fly out even at 120mph with professional driver on a closed track. eBay motors search is your friend.

There is a new (well not so new anymore) version of the roof tubing that is made out of outdoor grade black silicone instead of rubber.
Cheap and doesn't fly out even at 120mph with professional driver on a closed track. eBay motors search is your friend.
Cool. But what about at 162 mph? That is my vehicle's top end speed. Just kidding, of course. ;):D
Thanks for the reply/tip. I think the one advertised/sold by RPMTesla is also made of the "newer" outdoor grade black silicone instead of EPDM rubber. So, I may just end up going with RPMTesla, or perhaps an equivalent one on Ebay.

OP - report back in five years and let us know if you the installation was worth it! would be interested to see the results. i wouldn't want to be the guinea pig.
Challenge accepted!!

Reactions: Perscitus
So, I just ordered this one from Amazon. Made the most sense with my Prime membership.
Arrives this Friday. If it fits my vehicle as snugly as shown in the attached product/sales photo, then I think it'll be a complete success.
Will report the results in a few weeks for any interested...

upload_2019-11-27_8-17-21.png

I always get worried when I see typos in the marketing copy:

View attachment 482030
Unfortunately that's all too common with things on the Amazon marketplace in particular these days. Always gotta try and lookup the company to see that its actually a quality product you want to purchase, or take the risk that its some cheap knockoff product that will fail early or under perform.

So, I just ordered this one from Amazon. Made the most sense with my Prime membership.
Arrives this Friday. If it fits my vehicle as snugly as shown in the attached product/sales photo, then I think it'll be a complete success.
Will report the results in a few weeks for any interested...

I've had one on for a few months now and it fits in snugly, so I haven't been afraid of it flying off when driving....

Quick update. I installed the Basenor brand last week and it fits snugly on all sides. Definitely will not come loose & fall out at any speed. The only way that sucker is coming out is if I decide to remove it. As expected, no perceivable difference in wind noise, which is OK because my vehicle is already very quite as far as wind noise is concerned.

I’ve driven through a couple of rain showers already and checked underneath the tubing on the following days. As expected, everything remains dry underneath the tubing. Definitely not trapping any water/moisture around or underneath the tubing. The tubing is hollow and very flexible. So, the glass or anything rigid around it can still expand & contract as normal with changes in temperature. So, zero chance the tubing will cause any mechanical issues. Since the tubing is constructed from outdoor grade silicone, I have zero concerns regarding long term durability/flexibility.

At this point, I’m considering this a complete success because it has accomplished my primary goal... to keep out small debris like leaves, helicopter seeds, pine needles, tiny pebbles, etc...
54D84E64-257E-4F79-A1A6-740F5B9D7120.jpeg

722D2438-C9FF-4802-82D9-85C234842A69.jpeg

C6D857E8-5D83-4D04-BF71-3D8E304F6A9B.jpeg