Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So something fell off an overpass and put a baseball sized smash in my windshield. Happened so fast at highway speeds I never even saw what it was. Anyways, need to get it replaced. Got a $950 quote form Safelite. Scheduled an SC appointment, but don’t think it’s feasible as they said they need 2 weeks to get parts.

Wasn’t planning on filing an insurance claim with USAA since I have a $1k deductible. Any recommendations if I could get discounts with Safelite if I file through USAA even if I won’t hit my deductible?

I also have a windshield that requires repair. For other reasons I have looked into the process. Tesla will only ship glass to its authorized vendors, or you can ask Tesla to install. In my state Safelite is the only installer besides Tesla. Tesla quoted me ~ $950 to install at a service center, but I think that I would pay the same for a Ranger installation if it was available to me.

Your first step is to call Tesla and find out if other authorized installers are available to you. One thing though: The Tesla windshield has a camera, and you do want a tech who knows what they are doing. Even though my car is not AP or FSD enabled I want the camera to function correctly for safety reasons.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
I also have a windshield that requires repair. For other reasons I have looked into the process. Tesla will only ship glass to its authorized vendors, or you can ask Tesla to install. In my state Safelite is the only installer besides Tesla. Tesla quoted me ~ $950 to install at a service center, but I think that I would pay the same for a Ranger installation if it was available to me.

Your first step is to call Tesla and find out if other authorized installers are available to you. One thing though: The Tesla windshield has a camera, and you do want a tech who knows what they are doing. Even though my car is not AP or FSD enabled I want the camera to function correctly for safety reasons.

+1
Windshields are also important for structural safety reasons. In AZ we can get cashback for Windshieldthru some providers, but I won't due to safety, esp with Tesla. I hope that Tesla service will do ranger installs though.

Last edited:
So something fell off an overpass and put a baseball sized smash in my windshield. Happened so fast at highway speeds I never even saw what it was. Anyways, need to get it replaced. Got a $950 quote form Safelite. Scheduled an SC appointment, but don’t think it’s feasible as they said they need 2 weeks to get parts.

Wasn’t planning on filing an insurance claim with USAA since I have a $1k deductible. Any recommendations if I could get discounts with Safelite if I file through USAA even if I won’t hit my deductible?

Hey guys,
I was bummed when a giant rock hit my windshield last Wednesday, June 10th. I put in a request to have the windshield replaced in the Tesla app, and they made an appointment at the Tesla service center. I put in a request to have the windshield replaced At the Tesla service. I was pleasantly surprised when they sent me a text asking if I would like them to repair the windshield at my house a day earlier. To service, technicians came to my house and repaired the windshield. The cost was $1032.67 for the repair out of pocket. I have already submitted the invoice to my insurance witch will reimburse me fully. Overall I would say the process was painless. I would recommend that you have Tesla to the repair since they have to calibrate your front cameras after the glass is replaced. When I saw the new windshield prior to it being installed, I did notice that it does have a small circuit board on it. That may be something to should know if you are getting an aftermarket replacement. So overall, I would say it would be worth paying the extra $85 to go with the Tesla glass.

Attachments

• IMG_4558.JPG.jpeg
    IMG_4558.JPG.jpeg
    599.8 KB · Views: 87
  • image000001.jpg
    image000001.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 68
  • image000000-5.jpg
    image000000-5.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 55
  • tw1.jpeg
    tw1.jpeg