Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front windshield replacement: OEM vs OEE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
3rd rock chip in 2 years (!!). The last 2 times, I got it repaired before they could spread. But couldn't get this one in time. My insurance deductible is high (1500$), so I'm exploring cheaper options for repair.

Quotes: Safelite is quoting 1590$ but another local 3rd party service is quoting 900$. However, the 3rd party local place says they won't provide an OEM part, but rather insurance quality glass (OEE) which I think is aftermarket?. They say that has a lifetime guarantee against defects and water leaks.

Question: Should I go with this OEE part?

Also might want to ask what a 0 deductible on your glass coverage will cost going forward- it was a pretty trivial difference for me, to the point where it's profitable even if you only replace one a decade and you seem to pick up damage a lot more often than that

i would never have non OEM glass installed...
I had a windshield on another car replaced with aftermarket glass from the OEM supplier (unlike with Tesla, it was much less expensive and what insurance was willing to pay). The car and its OEM glass were made in North America, and the only apparent difference was the small branding marks on the corner of the glass.

However, I have read plenty of stories about how aftermarket glass from non-OEM suppliers have to be reverse engineered and often do not fit properly, etc..

So, unless Saint Gobain Sekurit (the OEM supplier) is now offering aftermarket windshields for Tesla Model 3, either aftermarket windshields are not available, or they are risky because they have to be reverse engineered by some other glass company.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
I had a quote from Tesla recently, service forwarded me to the Tesla Collision centre and the cost nearly doubled since the last time I had the window replaced in 2021.
yikes... glad we have a $200 deductible with USAA for those kind of things. My Model 3 windshield is a rock magnet despite staying way behind large trucks , SUVs, semis... still on my second windshield with under 40k miles but it takes effort to avoid the worst.

yikes... glad we have a $200 deductible with USAA for those kind of things. My Model 3 windshield is a rock magnet despite staying way behind large trucks , SUVs, semis... still on my second windshield with under 40k miles but it takes effort to avoid the worst.
I have USAA and the cost to set my comprehensive to $0 for glass was something like $3 per month.

still $400 cheaper than safelite and at least Tesla does it right... Safelite is hit or miss and they put a nice dent into the wifes Mazda hood while fixing a small crack ...
My only complaint was that they had to keep my car overnight, even though I had my car in FIRST THING in the morning - I rescheduled to this time so that they could get it done. Oh well.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
3rd rock chip in 2 years (!!). The last 2 times, I got it repaired before they could spread. But couldn't get this one in time. My insurance deductible is high (1500$), so I'm exploring cheaper options for repair.

Quotes: Safelite is quoting 1590$ but another local 3rd party service is quoting 900$. However, the 3rd party local place says they won't provide an OEM part, but rather insurance quality glass (OEE) which I think is aftermarket?. They say that has a lifetime guarantee against defects and water leaks.

Question: Should I go with this OEE part?

I'm old enough right now to want the best - not the cheapest.

IMHO - the best = OEM no worries.

Even though I'm retired, I no longer have time to worry.

Had my 1st windshield replaced yesterday by Tesla in Louisville,Ky. for $1325.34 including tax.
Chose Tesla service over Safelite. In at 9:45am & out by 3:30pm.
Now debating whether to have the windshield tinted to help reduce heat.
That aligns: my replacement in April was $1,241.75 including tax
Though, despite specifically getting my car in when they opened at 7:30 (to get it done same day), they still held it overnight :mad:

It makes no sense to go to Safelite: they have to get the windshield from Tesla anyways and I want to make sure everything is calibrated correctly.