Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield tint will help with chipping and breakage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Windshields seem to have a fair share of needing to be repaired or replaced? Agreed? Is a windshield tint a good way from experience to address that issue?
Tint is worthless, as it is inside. The other thread mentioned some protection film that may be applied on outside, but probably fairly expensive and may not last very long.
Model 3 Windshield crack issue

I don't think there is anything empirical that indicates Tesla windshields are any more likely to need replacement than other brands. They may be more expensive in some cases (some models have very specialized ones and camera calibration may play a factor), but Model 3 is made in large volume so costs likely have gone down.

Reactions: OldPro
Upvote 0
Tint is worthless, as it is inside. The other thread mentioned some protection film that may be applied on outside, but probably fairly expensive and may not last very long.
Model 3 Windshield crack issue

I don't think there is anything empirical that indicates Tesla windshields are any more likely to need replacement than other brands. They may be more expensive in some cases (some models have very specialized ones and camera calibration may play a factor), but Model 3 is made in large volume so costs likely have gone down.
While I will say what I'm about to post is in no way empirical, it's compelling, but needs verification. That being said, I recently had a windshield chip repaired. My insurance company recommends Safelite and I've used them in the past. Safelite guys said that Tesla windshields are thinner than others. He believes it's an effort to save weight on the vehicle. Because of this, they warn people with Teslas that in the process of repairing the windshield, it may break altogether, and if that happens, it's not Safelite's responsibility.

I didn't argue with him about who's responsibility it was gonna be if the windshield broke because I knew with certainty that they would be forced to replace it. But he went on to tell many a story about Tesla windshields breaking when techs use the repair rig hooked up to the vacuum machine. He used the manual method to fix my chip.

So not scientific evidence, but certainly makes sense given Elon's obsession with weight/cost on the M3. And he certainly would be able to tell which windshields are heavier since he carries them around all day.

But in an apparent attempt to jinx myself, I will say that my M3 seems to avoid rock hits more than any other vehicle I've owned. I have a 2019 and this is the first time that an object has chipped the windshield. I will say that the M3 gets driven less miles per year than other vehicles I've had but my Acura has at least 3 repaired chips on it and the windshield is only about 4 years old (had to be replaced then due to damage that was unrepairable). My old minivan, which the M3 replaced and was driven about the same as the M3 had several chips and had the windshield replaced once. My theory is that the aerodynamics of the M3 help move potential damaging objects past the car before they can hit, or prevent the objects from hitting with damaging force.

Upvote 0
Tesla Windshields seem to have a fair share of needing to be repaired or replaced? Agreed? Is a windshield tint a good way from experience to address that issue?
No and No.
There is no evidence that Tesla windshields chip or break more than that of other vehicles.
And tint, applied on the inside, would be of zero help, unless you have a history of banging your head against the windshield from the inside.

HTH,
a

Upvote 0
Stek makes an outer applied film for protection. I have no experience with it but am throwing out here for discussion.

Website says "Temporarily Unavailable in North America" Bummer!

Upvote 0
Ok, I’ve had 2 rock chip on my windshield in just 1 month of owning my Model 3. Coincidence or a case of fragile windshield?

I’ve owned 11 cars in my lifetime and only had 1 windshield that needed to be replaced on a car I’d owned for nearly 10 years.
1. Likely coincidence
2. Maybe more pebbles on the road these days
3. Maybe windshield glass might be weaker overall in recent years

I've had cars for 15 years and never had rock chips until about 5 years ago. Two on my 2016 C300 and two on my M3. Rock hits on the M3 are very loud but seem to do little damage. One hit extremely loud but landed where the glass met the frame and is more of a scratch I didn't even bother repairing. The other was also very loud but tiny chip right in front of my driver side and was an easy fix.

Upvote 0
1. Likely coincidence
2. Maybe more pebbles on the road these days
3. Maybe windshield glass might be weaker overall in recent years

I've had cars for 15 years and never had rock chips until about 5 years ago. Two on my 2016 C300 and two on my M3. Rock hits on the M3 are very loud but seem to do little damage. One hit extremely loud but landed where the glass met the frame and is more of a scratch I didn't even bother repairing. The other was also very loud but tiny chip right in front of my driver side and was an easy fix.
Wouldn’t be surprised if manufacturers has started skimming in recent years.

Upvote 0
No, the tint is applied to the inside. Protective films are not allowed in California but I have seen advertisements from company from Canada that does apply a film to the outside of windshield - like a ‘clear bra’. Anyway, I’ve had chips and cracks on previous cars but none of them cracked like the m3. It looks as though the glass started to delaminate between the glass.

Upvote 0
Ok, I’ve had 2 rock chip on my windshield in just 1 month of owning my Model 3. Coincidence or a case of fragile windshield?

I’ve owned 11 cars in my lifetime and only had 1 windshield that needed to be replaced on a car I’d owned for nearly 10 years.
I've had to replace the windshield on a 2019 M3 three times and my 2022 needs a replacement also, a rock hit it last week. It didn't matter if I drove slow since cars and trucks still move merge/pass at the front. Living here in Houston, TX you have to account for windshield replacements. I did look into the outside windshield protector (it's like installing PPF), but it seems you have to replace them every 1 or 2 years due to staining, bubbles, or visual distortion. It's not 100% protective against chipping or cracking.

Upvote 0
Safelite guys said that Tesla windshields are thinner than others. He believes it's an effort to save weight on the vehicle. Because of this, they warn people with Teslas that in the process of repairing the windshield, it may break altogether, and if that happens, it's not Safelite's responsibility.

I haven't needed repairs on my Tesla, but I've taken a Honda Civic and a friend's Toyota to them, and for both they made me sign something acknowledging that the repair might break the glass. It's not Tesla specific. As for whether Tesla's glass is "thinner than others", I have no idea, but that may just be somebody yanking your chain...that employee might say the same thing to everybody with an EV, or everybody with a car he couldn't afford. Or he might be right, I dunno. But, also, "thinner" by itself does not necessarily mean weaker.

Upvote 0
I haven't needed repairs on my Tesla, but I've taken a Honda Civic and a friend's Toyota to them, and for both they made me sign something acknowledging that the repair might break the glass. It's not Tesla specific. As for whether Tesla's glass is "thinner than others", I have no idea, but that may just be somebody yanking your chain...that employee might say the same thing to everybody with an EV, or everybody with a car he couldn't afford. Or he might be right, I dunno. But, also, "thinner" by itself does not necessarily mean weaker.
He qualified the weight of the Tesla windshields compared to those of other cars, seeing as they lug them around all the time.

As far as your statement regarding thickness and strength, I would agree. . . .in principle. But considering we're talking about Tesla, I would pretty much bet the farm that if they decided to use a thinner glass to save weight, the secondary benefit they got along with that was reduced cost. I highly doubt that they went with a thinner, cheaper glass that also happened to be just as strong as 'average' glass, whatever that is.

Upvote 0