Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield tint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i'm definitely going to get my X tinted with Spectra Photosync. 75% on the windshield... 45% on the front two windows.

i had this done on my last Model S and really really liked it. i imagine with the huge X windshield it will be even more necessary.

Do you use the mesh sunscreen and still find yourself affected? Or is the sun angle so low it's below the screen?
Tint is, effectively, permanent. Stating the obvious, the screen you can detach. To each his own but I hate the diminished visibility of tinted glass.

I tint the windshield of every car I own.

1.) reduce glare
2.) reduce heat
3.) increase privacy
4.) increased range from requiring less AC to cool down the interior.
5.) makes car more attractive
6.) Possible improvement to ghosting issues on Model X windshields. It doesn't aggravate it for certain.

I trade off 25% diminished visibility which I find completely negotiable for all of the outstanding benefits above.

Last edited:
Reactions: F123456
You may not agree with it but you are not welcome to your own facts. Tinting diminishes visibility, period. The following I write not strictly to argue with you but to provide fodder for others.

A {____X%___} tint may provide you and your eyes acceptable visibility, for a given definition of acceptable, Y% of the time. Or it may not.

Let me be a tad less harsh. If you take two windshields with different light transmission, and a pitch-black, rainy night. One of those will give you the extra edge over being able to discern what is out there, and you know which that one is.

Now, you can argue - and I am not one to say what your driving habits are - that you only drive in, for example, daylight hours between 1000 and 1500 local. Were that the case, then you are relatively more able to justify a tint between you and the environment than one who's consistently driving only between 2300 and 0400.

But using edge cases is of more importance for safety considerations than are those two extremes. AND....except for those very, very rare people for whom sunglasses are not a discomfort but a real medical problem, untinted + sunglasses is always always always the better option.

Don't take my word for it. Look into airline and fighter pilots and their situation. Clear(ish) glass and sunglasses (or heavily tinted helmets/goggles) 100% of the time.

I've tinted my current windshields...it's near clear, mostly for UV.

And airlinepilots don't wear sunglasses 100% of the time. I have a huge sunshade on my flight deck for the side windows and a moveable tinted pane for the front window. Sometimes sunglasses are too much and I just look through the tinted glass pane. It is true the airline glass is clear though. Several layers thick....but clear.

Tinting the front windshield is illegal!
I have my side and rear windows done but I never, ever tint the front windshield.
Safety is the main reason. If there is black ice for instance on the road, a tinted windshield won't allow you to detect it.
Same holds true if there is a spillage of some kind.
I was told years ago when first riding my motorcycle you never, ever, tint the visor of your helmet for the same reasons.
Common sense!

Tinting is not a black tint...that's what most people think. This is my current I3 with a tinted windshield. You can tell where I had to replace a portion around the lower left registration sticker.

Attachments

• IMG_3520.JPG
    IMG_3520.JPG
    291.8 KB · Views: 452
lots of myths about tinting windshields up in here.

you don't get it tinted as dark as side windows! (e.g. 30-40%)

they make very transparent films specifically for windshields. for the Spectra Photosync which offers the best heat deterrence, they have a 75% option. btw this does NOT mean it diminishes visibility by 25%! i did this on my Model S and it's excellent. another good option is the Llumar Air 80 or 90. i've done this on two of my other cars. i'd challenge you to notice there was any tinting on there, but it absolutely lessens the glare and intensity of direct sunlight (those early sunrise commutes, or drives into the sunset).

from Llumar website:

"This may come as a surprise to many people – but window film doesn’t have to be dark to perform. It can be almost invisible — giving you all the benefits of reducing harmful ultraviolet (UV) rays and heat build-up, without a “tinted window look.” While all the products in the LLumar window film line offer UV protection, LLumar AIR automotive window film appeals to people who do not want the darker window appearance or where the use of dark window tint is prohibited by state laws. Even though it is clear and almost invisible, LLumar AIR window film still blocks more than 99% of harmful ultraviolet rays, which are the leading known cause of skin cancer and premature skin aging, and also causes fading and cracking of automotive interiors.

By reducing the heat build-up in your car, you’ll ride in greater comfort and find yourself not having to run the air conditioning system as often— improving fuel efficiency. And when the sun goes down, the high optical clarity and low-reflectivity of LLumar AIR will not impede your night driving vision. LLumar AIR window film uses nano-ceramic technology to achieve its extraordinary level of protection. Designed with your car’s electronic accessories in mind, it does not interfere with cell phones, radios, radar detectors or global positioning systems."

You may not agree with it but you are not welcome to your own facts. Tinting diminishes visibility, period. The following I write not strictly to argue with you but to provide fodder for others.

A {____X%___} tint may provide you and your eyes acceptable visibility, for a given definition of acceptable, Y% of the time. Or it may not.

Let me be a tad less harsh. If you take two windshields with different light transmission, and a pitch-black, rainy night. One of those will give you the extra edge over being able to discern what is out there, and you know which that one is.

Now, you can argue - and I am not one to say what your driving habits are - that you only drive in, for example, daylight hours between 1000 and 1500 local. Were that the case, then you are relatively more able to justify a tint between you and the environment than one who's consistently driving only between 2300 and 0400.

But using edge cases is of more importance for safety considerations than are those two extremes. AND....except for those very, very rare people for whom sunglasses are not a discomfort but a real medical problem, untinted + sunglasses is always always always the better option.

Don't take my word for it. Look into airline and fighter pilots and their situation. Clear(ish) glass and sunglasses (or heavily tinted helmets/goggles) 100% of the time.

I edited my post. Don't want to present alternative facts or anything. ;) I agree that there is 25% visible light reduction with the window tint that I use. For my habits, environmental conditions, I will do it on every car, every time. The 58% Solar Energy Reduction, 87% IR Rejection, and 99.5% UV rejection is well worth the trade off.

I guess I don't have the use case where I am engaging in Aerial combat and need that extra 25% VL to determine if I'm running into a squadron of Mitsubishi Zeros or RAF Spitfires...

upload_2017-2-4_10-40-25.png

Tinting the front windshield is illegal!
I have my side and rear windows done but I never, ever tint the front windshield.
Safety is the main reason. If there is black ice for instance on the road, a tinted windshield won't allow you to detect it.
Same holds true if there is a spillage of some kind.
I was told years ago when first riding my motorcycle you never, ever, tint the visor of your helmet for the same reasons.
Common sense!

Driving 66 in a 65 zone is also illegal. That's a weak point

I'll take my chances on not dying from black ice in Orange County. It is up to the individual car owner to determine the risk benefit of all decisions.

• Informative
Reactions: mikevbf
Do you use the mesh sunscreen and still find yourself affected? Or is the sun angle so low it's below the screen?
Tint is, effectively, permanent. Stating the obvious, the screen you can detach. To each his own but I hate the diminished visibility of tinted glass.

I don't use the screen because it is the angle below the screen.

I tint the windshield of every car I own.

1.) reduce glare
2.) reduce heat
3.) increase privacy
4.) increased range from requiring less AC to cool down the interior.
5.) makes car more attractive
6.) Possible improvement to ghosting issues on Model X windshields. It doesn't aggravate it for certain.

I trade off 25% diminished visibility which I find completely negotiable for all of the outstanding benefits above.

What did you tint your Model X windshield?

I have nothing to back this up but my DS told me you CANNOT tint the front windshield of a Model X with AP2 as it will interfere with the operation of cameras and whatever else they have that uses the windshield. Sorry I don't own an X (yet) or have more details. Just passing on what I was told.

I have nothing to back this up but my DS told me you CANNOT tint the front windshield of a Model X with AP2 as it will interfere with the operation of cameras and whatever else they have that uses the windshield. Sorry I don't own an X (yet) or have more details. Just passing on what I was told.
Well my current car has a forward looking camera and uses the mobile eye software that AP1 cars used. No issues. And the entire windshield except the area in front of the camera is tinted. No issues. The camera is flush with the windshield so it should not be an issue.